Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here. Works well. If you need helps with the math for dosing let me know. I just finished treating a 7’x3’x1.25’ frag tank full of things. Basically a full blown reef setup, but in a frag tank.

World Wide Corals
Nutramar Foods

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any known reason why this happens? Can this happen years later in a tank w established Euphyllia?
I've had it happen 3 times, months apart. Each time the Torch got mechanical damage, either from too much flow or stupid piston manhandling during a move.
I think the cause is present in my tank, waiting for an opportunity. I only lost 1 at a time, multiple torches in tank.
I don't think treating the other euphyllia helps as it stresses them, perhaps opening a window to the infection.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nearly lost a trump coral colony to bjd. My approach was to cut all the damaged tissue away which was about 95% of it and then iodine dip it. I was left with 3 healthy looking heads that have since become 2 colonies. BJD is bad news

AquaCave Logo Banner

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any known reason why this happens? Can this happen years later in a tank w established Euphyllia?
This is what I would like to know. I've read a number of sites that state "the underlying cause remains unknown"...but then go on to list treatment options. Treatment of what pathogen, exactly?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to keep the skeleton to maybe mount other corals to (and to have something to remember the wall hammer by). How should I go about cleaning it? I currently have it in a freshwater bucket to kill any bacteria on it, but should I use some kind of chemical to rid it of everything else??

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to keep the skeleton to maybe mount other corals to (and to have something to remember the wall hammer by). How should I go about cleaning it? I currently have it in a freshwater bucket to kill any bacteria on it, but should I use some kind of chemical to rid it of everything else??
Bleach

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer this question, yes, it can happen in an established tank. Much like ich on fish, many LPS and SPS corals (and soft corals, though are seldom affected) carry the BJD bacteria on them, and when under stressful or harmful conditions (poor water, abrasions, stress), the bacteria can take over. A good solution is dipping corals to ensure that the small amount of bacteria is gone before it can take over (something I should have considered for my hammer long ago). It's quite hard to completely irradicate though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weird thing is it still has some pink on it, though it may just be some coralline algae...
You can always start a jar build and see if it, or anything else, regenerates in it. I nuked at least one frag with hypersalinity, and have had various things (not all bad) survive on them.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that physical damage to Euphyllia seems to be the predominant cause. Kinda like a cut that gets infected.
+1 I had a hammer take a nose dive after a shrimp aggressively stole food from it. Watched it tear a tentacle then boom, dead in weeks.

DucatiGtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer this question, yes, it can happen in an established tank. Much like ich on fish, many LPS and SPS corals (and soft corals, though are seldom affected) carry the BJD bacteria on them, and when under stressful or harmful conditions (poor water, abrasions, stress), the bacteria can take over. A good solution is dipping corals to ensure that the small amount of bacteria is gone before it can take over (something I should have considered for my hammer long ago). It's quite hard to completely irradicate though.
Well
That’s annoying! Fun hobby we have! And thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about my torch coral now, or does this not look like BJD? This started when I removed the hammer and had to turn out the lights. It’s about 60% closed up and bubbling at the base (possible slime). Stress or dying?
45F65A5A-41A7-4143-9656-2FA85D2BB9AA.jpeg

I will say that although this coral was much cheaper than the hammer was, this would hurt a lot more, as it was one of my first corals and I’ve poured much care and effort into getting it where it currently is.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back