EasyReefs EasyBooster dosing problems (and a Masstick question)

BRS

Joe31415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I decided to try EasyReefs Phyto Gel. I set it up on a peristaltic dosing pump and it worked just fine for a few weeks/months. However about a week ago I noticed the reservoir and found that the tubing was one big solid mass of solidified gel, in both directions (from the source to the pump and from the pump to the tank). It was bad enough that when I pulled one of the lines from the pump it let out a bunch of built up pressure (and some gel).
I've really only seen one other person mention it, some I'm guessing it's not a common problem. Someone mentioned to that person that it could be from air or water getting into the line. I don't *think* that's the problem, but when I replaced the lines, I moved the one that was in the sump. I had it going directly into the mouth of the return pump, but I wanted to move it above the water line. What I didn't realize is that it doesn't mix with water very readily. Now it just turns into clumps and settles on the bottom of the sump. I haven't checked closely enough to see if, or how quickly, it dissolves.

So, my first question is, has anyone else had this problem?
My second question is, if the end of the tube needs to be above the water line, what's the best way of dosing? I'm torn between trying to suspend it, out of the water, but close enough to return pump that it gets sucked into it instead of accumulating under the pump, or, putting it somewhere else so that doesn't happen. The only good places I can think of are in the display tank (or overflow box) or directly into the filter roller, since all the water passes through there, so I think it would eventually dissolve enough to get through the filter material.

Also, has anyone else had bad luck with Masstick? I've read nothing but good things about it here. Everyone at my LFS that's used it loves it and hasn't had any problems. However, in my tank(s), nothing will touch it. Nothing goes near it. Nothing even looks at it. Every time I've tried it, I end up finding chunks of it in the bottom of the tank the next day, plus, I had a absolutely enourmous (for my tank) nitrate spike that I'm blaming on the Masstick.

Also, it smells awful and it's such a mess, but if the fish liked it as much as everyone says they do, I can live with that.

Nutramar Foods

Pablo Easyreefs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking questions,

In the first case with Easybooster, it is most likely due to air in the tube of the dosing pump, this causes it to rust in the tube and it can clog. Indeed, it is necessary that the gel falls on an area with a lot of current to dissolve, it can be above the water line or below, placing a non-return valve at the end.

And with reference to the Masstick, I recommends placing it on the rock instead of the glass, this makes it easier for the fish to feed. Regarding the smell, it has a strong smell of seafood, since it is the main ingredient and it keeps its organoleptic properties intact, thanks to the treatment we carry out. If you can send an email to [email protected] with the batch number, I will check your batch to confirm that everything is correct. It is a number that appears at the bottom of the package.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first case with Easybooster, it is most likely due to air in the tube of the dosing pump, this causes it to rust in the tube and it can clog. Indeed, it is necessary that the gel falls on an area with a lot of current to dissolve, it can be above the water line or below, placing a non-return valve at the end.
I could see how that might be the case with the end of it above the water line, however, it was doing it when the line was submerged as well. At that point, I was told (not officially, just anecdotes I'd read) that it was the *water* causing it to solidify. And it's worth nothing that in both cases, it was one solid mass from the container, through the pump, to the end of the line. Whether it was air or water causing the problem, it seems odd that either could solidify the *entire* line. At some point the solid mass, I would think, would seal off the rest of it from air/water ingress. But a few times now I've had to replace the line because I couldn't even get it cleaned.

I recommends placing it on the rock instead of the glass
I did. I've stuck it on the rocks, the glass, dropped it some on the sand, put it near/in their feeding ring. Nothing. None of them show the slightest interest in it. Even if I don't give them any other food that day, it'll still be there the next day. Even the inverts aren't interested in it.

Regarding the smell,
I don't mean it smells bad like there's something wrong with it, it just smells bad in general.

If you can send an email to [email protected] with the batch number, I will check your batch to confirm that everything is correct. It is a number that appears at the bottom of the package.
I'll have to see if I still have it around. Between the difficulty in mixing it, the difficulty in actually using it* and no one being remotely interested in it, it's very possible I tossed it since it appeared to spike my nitrates the few times I tried it.

*To be honest, even if it worked perfectly, I'd prefer not to have to have to wash my hands and be elbow deep in tank water when just to feed them.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back