Do You Have Confidence In Your Local Fish Store?

Do you have confidence in your LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 122 28.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 178 41.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 110 25.6%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 19 4.4%

• Total voters

Reginald Reefer III

Coral Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a couple. I have been burned now multiple times on coral that turns to mush/brown jelly after purchase. Seems that many LFS can't keep up/compete with the big online retailers and the quality is going way down.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner of my LFS is extremely knowledgeable and has decades of experience. The selection is amazing. The place is giant. He’s has some really knowledgeable people working there over the years and not so much. At least with saltwater. They may have more knowledge with freshwater. I tend to do research and sometimes asked for their opinion. I was very lucky because when I was first getting started, he was around frequently and they had an employee who grew up with his parents reef tank and has had his own most of his life. Great people to have around when getting started. If not for a couple people he’s had (probably student/summer help) I would have picked trust completely

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No. I don’t trust them at all. I buy snails and crabs from them because it’s cheaper than having to pay shipping. I buy food from them for the same reason. But the coral is overpriced. The fish are good but they never have anything I would want

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely trust the owner of my lfs, usually reach out to him with any advice or issues and have never been disappointed. im lucky to have that.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, I would drive an hour to a little hole-in-the-wall LFS to get fish, rock and corals. They really knew their stuff. But, as it happens, they have gone outta business. And let me tell ya, it REALLY WAS a hole-in-the-wall! Now, there's a great LFS that is much bigger about 45 minutes away, and the prices show it. But they know what they're doing and will be setting my tank up for me in a few months. Hey! I'm old! The WORST one I went to was a Petco or Petsmart (can't remember which) back in the early 90s. They knew as much as I did. Nothing. I remember they told me 1 inch of fish per gallon (must have been thinking freshwater) . So many fish died. My responsibility though. I should have double checked them.

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is spectacular, but I still would do my own research in a variety of things. Good prices, healthy, friendly staff, good selection, clean store. Not much more you can ask for. I will go there first for any livestock, and only look online if the price is ridiculously cheaper or what I want is unavailable. Not dealing with shipping and seeing the exact livestock I’m getting is important to me.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been to several in the DFW area, but I really only shop at two. They both have decent prices and care for their stock well. Others have a better selection, but fall short in others areas important to me. As far as trust—yes, to an extent.

I consider them as an additional data point to be considered, but I cannot say I always agree with their point of view, but I will certainly consider it.

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is an LFS called absolutely fish in north jersey. Excellent store. It’s over an hour from me.
But, for fish i will only buy from TSM aquatics which i found out is in NJ. They are among the best.

jakerupe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ok ones by me that I was 50/50 with. Then a new one opened and man the corals are outstanding and the owner goes out of his way to get what you’d want, place is called Liberty Reef, he also has on line auctions weekly, his site is libertyreef.us.

His corals are as good as any that I have purchased online but even better when I can hand pick em!

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't have an LFS. Closest store to me with reef livestock is 140 miles away one way.

The last ones I was around were in Seattle area. I didn't trust any of them.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer....no
I've been to every LFS in an hour radius and don't have any that earned my complete confidence. I now have one I go to for gear since they have the largest selection of in stock items and the salt I like, and a different one for livestock. I don't necessarily like the one I get livestock from but it's been the only one where the fish have been solid....not emaciated or flashing in the store! I've had issues with fish from other places but any fish I got from there have been healthy and solid from the get go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I can say I did but now for certain things.

Badblackdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is the absolute best. They have been in the business for 30 years. They are a whole level above any other store in my area. I setup my first saltwater tank with their guidance in the early 90s. After about five years, I had to sell my tanks because of life. The kids have all graduated now, and I have jumped back into the hobby. I was amazed at how much things have changed. I returned to my favorite LFS to find out the owner is now running the operation with his adult son. They are up on the latest technology, but still run the store the same way, with integrity. They are very patient with all of my questions. If I ask about a fish they always make sure that it is compatible with my current inhabitants. They have the best prices on livestock of all kinds. They build custom furniture quality stands that are beautiful. They also have an 800 gallon Display Tank on the second floor that is mind blowing. There is a sofa in front of it so you can just sit there and chill and watch.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but only to an extent. We have two fish stores in our area, and I prefer one over the other due to their pricing and stock. However, I'm not 100% sold on some of the advice they have given in the past
Seeing as it’s probably the same LFS. Though I don’t trust their advice 100% the prices compared to other local stores and online stores plus their selection means I am happy to shop with them. I mean if anyone can beat this price on an oreni:

IMG_1029.jpeg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as it’s probably the same LFS. Though I don’t trust their advice 100% the prices compared to other local stores and online stores plus their selection means I am happy to shop with them. I mean if anyone can beat this price on an oreni:

IMG_1029.jpeg
Is that Nemo? Pretty good shop. I am going to go ahead and shout out for Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw.

forneyjohn19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preferred lfs gives out great advice (as long as you get one of the two more experienced guys). What I most appreciate is A) they spend effort to make sure you understand the reason behind their answer; and B) If you have a problem they will sit there for a long time asking questions and gathering info to try to solve the issue.

They are also super honest and transparent about products. I was asking about switching salt mixes (from a product they didn’t carry to a product they did carry) and the guy recommended I not switch because I was already using the higher quality salt.

The selection is decent for the size city, and prices are reasonable. But mostly, the people and the knowledge are what makes this place!

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that Nemo? Pretty good shop. I am going to go ahead and shout out for Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw.
Never been. Nemo is far enough for me and it’s a 30 minute drive when the traffic is good. And I assume you know how often the traffic is good around Atlanta?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because my really good one that does full QT had such a bad price jump (like 40% more than any online store) to where when I pay shipping thats still less than what the fish is at the store. Some really good online vendors out there. My other is pretty good actually and has good prices so Ive started really only going to them but their hours are only Friday-Sunday so if I need something during the week Im SOL

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back