Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went thru this whole thread! Amazing tank congrats!! I was really anxious to see when you switched over to the radions being that I have a160we’s on mine.

It is a lot to go through! haha I made the switch for a few reasons, I really didn't like the t5/kessil hybrid. The both of those hanging over the tank just really took away from the clean look of the tank I think. I've always had kessils, never seen any other lights and I wanted to try something new. Can't speak on growth because I can't keep anything alive, plan to try some more frags in the coming weeks!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and water to clean the test vials. Tested this morning

Alk 8

Calcium 390

Magnesium 1280

Phosphates .07

Nitrates 2

Salinity 1.025

556E30FC-27A0-4B24-9E89-5E1DC22C3CB2.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

tenurepro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and water to clean the test vials. Tested this morning

Alk 8

Calcium 390

Magnesium 1280

Phosphates .07

Nitrates 2

Salinity 1.025

View attachment 1008274

Hmm - I would be concerned with glass vials scratching up against glass vials in the bucket. Here is my process for cleaning. Scratching can lead to errors as it will affect light transmission to Hanna sensor.

Here is my process;
Immediately after doing a test, I remove the vial and run it under cold tap water to flush it out. Then I fill it out with tap water, cap it give it a good shake then decant the water. Then I fill it half way up with rodi water (that I keep in a squirt bottle). Cap it. Give it a good sake. Then while it is still capped, I hold the cap and squirt rodi water on the outside of the vial. Again still holding the cap, the use a bounty sheet to wipe the outside of the tube dry. Then holding the vial with the bounty sheet, I remove the cap, hold the vial upside down and immediately place the vial into the case. This leave the vial clean on the inside and outside and ready for use in the next test.

When running a new test, I either use a bounty sheet or a lint free towel to hold the vial while filling it to avoid getting thumb prints.

Sounds like a lot written down but it only takes a couple of mins and it keeps the vials clean and scratch free for a long time.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I would be concerned with glass vials scratching up against glass vials in the bucket. Here is my process for cleaning. Scratching can lead to errors as it will affect light transmission to Hanna sensor.

Here is my process;
Immediately after doing a test, I remove the vial and run it under cold tap water to flush it out. Then I fill it out with tap water, cap it give it a good shake then decant the water. Then I fill it half way up with rodi water (that I keep in a squirt bottle). Cap it. Give it a good sake. Then while it is still capped, I hold the cap and squirt rodi water on the outside of the vial. Again still holding the cap, the use a bounty sheet to wipe the outside of the tube dry. Then holding the vial with the bounty sheet, I remove the cap, hold the vial upside down and immediately place the vial into the case. This leave the vial clean on the inside and outside and ready for use in the next test.

When running a new test, I either use a bounty sheet or a lint free towel to hold the vial while filling it to avoid getting thumb prints.

Sounds like a lot written down but it only takes a couple of mins and it keeps the vials clean and scratch free for a long time.

Scratching is a good point I didn’t even think about! This Powerhead didn’t move the vials around in the bucket, the caps did though! I tested alk this morning it was dead on 8, like it was yesterday. Actually after I cleaned all the vials for the Hanna checkers the majority had the lines missing. I bought extra vials a long long long time ago. So I threw all the vials out for the Hanna that I cleaned and put new ones in the test kits!

Great suggestion again, I never even thought about that!

AquaCave Logo Banner

tenurepro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching is a good point I didn’t even think about! This Powerhead didn’t move the vials around in the bucket, the caps did though! I tested alk this morning it was dead on 8, like it was yesterday. Actually after I cleaned all the vials for the Hanna checkers the majority had the lines missing. I bought extra vials a long long long time ago. So I threw all the vials out for the Hanna that I cleaned and put new ones in the test kits!

Great suggestion again, I never even thought about that!
thanks - I should mention that this process is not my idea; I purchased @PSXerholic 's sps guide a while back and he had a little writeup on how to clean hanna vials, which I adopted.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gary Jaz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not those. It was something that hid the bulbs over the tank when viewing the tank from afar. Might have been simple velcro strips IDK.

Sorry I don't recall that. I never used velcro on my lights. I did use some sunblaster fixtures long ago, followed by the aquatic life t5 fixture. Wish I would be more help!

World Wide Corals

Gary Jaz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just not finding the right words to describe what I mean, and google is therefore failing me. I believe you said you had someone that you complemented for his work create these simple rectangular "shields" that were placed on your lights so that you couldn't see the bulbs when viewing from the side. Ring a bell?

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just not finding the right words to describe what I mean, and google is therefore failing me. I believe you said you had someone that you complemented for his work create these simple rectangular "shields" that were placed on your lights so that you couldn't see the bulbs when viewing from the side. Ring a bell?

Sorry it doesn’t. I don’t think I’ve anything like that made, at least not that I can remember.

Gary Jaz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

DarthSimon

Team R2R
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man,
What kind of plumbing did you need to connect to the 1 Inch Drain?? I would like to get rid of my stock valve, which I don't need anymore, because I have one in my control room downstairs.

IMG_2262.jpg

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back