Cycling Help

Vic_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi So i’m trying to help a friend start a new tank. I advised against a fish in cycle because one i’ve never done it and have no experience and two i can’t imagine it being humane. so the tank was setup and 2 clown fish were added as well as Dr Tims Bacteria. It’s day 3 and i went to check the tank out today and noticed one of the clowns look to have Brooklynella. Not sure how it was caused as there were no signs at the store. I offered to take the fish and put them in my QT tank. My question is how would the cycle finish at this point or should she start over from scratch ? Any help greatly appreciated. Was wonder Is Ammonia can just be added or would more Bacteria need to be added as well.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi So i’m trying to help a friend start a new tank. I advised against a fish in cycle because one i’ve never done it and have no experience and two i can’t imagine it being humane. so the tank was setup and 2 clown fish were added as well as Dr Tims Bacteria. It’s day 3 and i went to check the tank out today and noticed one of the clowns look to have Brooklynella. Not sure how it was caused as there were no signs at the store. I offered to take the fish and put them in my QT tank. My question is how would the cycle finish at this point or should she start over from scratch ? Any help greatly appreciated. Was wonder Is Ammonia can just be added or would more Bacteria need to be added as well.
Your friend was probably sold sick fish.

I have no idea if it’s worth trying to salvage the setup at this point. Others will have more information.

OP
OP
Vic_24

Vic_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your friend was probably sold sick fish.

I have no idea if it’s worth trying to salvage the setup at this point. Others will have more information.
That’s what i’m thinking too. If she did a whole nee set up would the sand and rock be salvageable?

SlyPuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bacteria never received a good source of ammonia you will most likely have to dose bacteria again. I have been told bottled bacteria can only last 1-2 days in a tank without a food source if it is not established. I am no expert so others may be able to chime in with better information. Good luck and I hope your friend's fish make a speedy recovery!

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what i’m thinking too. If she did a whole nee set up would the sand and rock be salvageable?
I don’t know about this disease, whether it is easy to clean the sand and rocks of it.

OP
OP
Vic_24

Vic_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bacteria never received a good source of ammonia you will most likely have to dose bacteria again. I have been told bottled bacteria can only last 1-2 days in a tank without a food source if it is not established. I am no expert so others may be able to chime in with better information. Good luck and I hope your friend's fish make a speedy recovery!
Thats makes sense.

OP
OP
Vic_24

Vic_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about this disease, whether it is easy to clean the sand and rocks of it.
I read it needs a host but can fall into the substrate. Not sure either how long it can live.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not correct. Nitrifying bacteria last months without being fed, probably forever with a little feeding.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I read it needs a host but can fall into the substrate. Not sure either how long it can live.
I dunno the cycle for Brook but you might wanna summon vetteguy or Jay Hemdal or someone like that
..move this over to the disease forum for better eyes
This is not correct. Nitrifying bacteria last months without being fed, probably forever with a little feeding.
I think it’s a mix up..I think the OP is referring to the Brook …I think

OP
OP
Vic_24

Vic_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno the cycle for Brook but you might wanna summon vetteguy or Jay Hemdal or someone like that
..move this over to the disease forum for better eyes

I think it’s a mix up..I think the OP is referring to the Brook …I think
Thank you will do

SlyPuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome! So if you dosed BB into a new aquarium and didn't put ammonia in for a month all of that bacteria would still be there?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back