OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told I should wait a few months before introducing an anemone. Regardless of this, is it ok to get a few frags with the clownfish or should I start with just the clownfish pair?

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start adding animals now

Hold for the anemone

When you've finished all the uglies is a good time, to add that. I'm not an anemone expert, but that's what I would do. Put nem guards on all your wave makers too before adding

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with the fish wait a week or two before trying a hardy tester coral frag. Also look up dipping coral ounce of prevention now worth a lot later and its easy to do.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something has to be wrong. Salifert ammonia test showing 0.25 but the API showing 4-5ppm. what the heck? I tested nitrites and nitrates as well and both tests showed 0.1 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I’ve read the API isn’t as good as the Salifert…but 4-4ppm/0.25?

The odds of all of those test kits (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) being wrong is unlikely. I wouldn't put a fish in. Just get a cheap bottle of biospira or fritz, give it a week, then add fish. In the mean time, you should look at pre-quarentined fish or setup a QT yourself.

OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odds of all of those test kits (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) being wrong is unlikely. I wouldn't put a fish in. Just get a cheap bottle of biospira or fritz, give it a week, then add fish. In the mean time, you should look at pre-quarentined fish or setup a QT yourself.
Well that’s the dilemma. This tank has had bacteria added to it for over a month now. Then..and sure I may have messed up…I added bacteria again because the API was consistently showing 4-5ppm ammonia…2 weeks later…still 4-5ppm. I read about API maybe being unreliable. Tested with Salifert and got 0.25 ammonia.

OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7391.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s the dilemma. This tank has had bacteria added to it for over a month now. Then..and sure I may have messed up…I added bacteria again because the API was consistently showing 4-5ppm ammonia…2 weeks later…still 4-5ppm. I read about API maybe being unreliable. Tested with Salifert and got 0.25 ammonia.

Honestly given that you can get the bacteria for around $12 or less I say just add fritz or biospira, give it a week, then be fine and not have to worry. Dr Tims can have issues sometimes not sure why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly given that you can get the bacteria for around $12 or less I say just add fritz or biospira, give it a week, then be fine and not have to worry. Dr Tims can have issues sometimes not sure why.
Yeah. I’m just puzzled that the ammonia readings are so different. Guess I can’t really ‘over dose’ bacteria…but I’ll wait a bit more and see what happens. I’m getting some mixed information so gonna be patient…lol.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new person you often get multiple answers that can be meant as good advice and it’s one of the hard parts of getting back into it. There is a 100 ways to run a reef. One can always do a 20% daily or weekly waterchange when they get a fish to lower levels.

I wish you the best but in theory if you do a 20 to 50% waterchange and test the test kit right after results should follow. This can eliminate the test kit error.

dellinwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even it being a cheap ati test kit, you have very high ammonia. Use some fritz turbo and wait it out. No sense in throwing fish in with ammonia that high. You run a high likelihood of coming back asking why your new clowns are sick

OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even it being a cheap ati test kit, you have very high ammonia. Use some fritz turbo and wait it out. No sense in throwing fish in with ammonia that high. You run a high likelihood of coming back asking why your new clowns are sick
But the Salifert test shows almost 0 ammonia? That’s what I’m confused about.

dellinwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the api is inaccurate as far as exact numbers, but to get that dark of a green it’s showing a high level of ammonia still. In all honesty the api is perfect fine for watching a cycle. I’m currently cycling a 3rd tank with it right now. Using the api, what’s the nitrite and nitrate colors? Here’s where mine is currently at.and the week prior my ammonia was dark green like yours
But the Salifert test shows almost 0 ammonia? That’s what I’m confused about.

Attachments

• IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll keep testing. Salifert was showing practically zero for nites and nates…I actually haven’t done an API Nitrate/Nitrite test in awhile so will check that as well. Thank you.

OP
OP
vinsk

vinsk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be getting my clownfish pair this week! Tank is finally at 0 amm/0 Nit/0.1 Nat….pH 7.8 salinity at 35.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all! I was crazy into saltwater tanks 30 years ago, built my own skimmers, sumps, all fish and never learned corals. Anyways, I’m back! So much has changed since those days! I’m starting simple and just got the Hello Reef 15g Clownfish/Anemone starter tank kit.

Need a little help with my cycle. Got my pre-made water from WWC , added Dr. Tim’s Nitrifying bacteria, added a good pinch of pellet food provided. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to test it until day 5. My tests showed: 0Nitrite/0Nitrate/0.5ppm Ammonia. Am I on the right track or is this not making sense?
As someone who did the same thing after being out for 15 years, with a hello reef 15, I ended up getting a piece of live rock from a fellow reefer and going the old fashion route. Dr Tim's seemed to work too fast to be true.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back