Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycling is no longer your issue, it's done a while back (your non digital test kits have delays in reporting compared to digital nh3 kits)

based on the # of days running plus your ammonia drop reported, even the non digital test kits now agree it's ready.

the risk to your fish now lies in the preps from the stickies in the disease forum, you're about to skip past those crucial steps. (fallow and quarantine)

read that thread if you want to keep your fish alive the longest vs replace them every few months

you add fish last, not first, to avoid having to use a separate tank to fallow prep every single item you'll add from a pet store coming up, and that's a lot of items. hardly anyone will adhere to what they're reading above, which is why on any given day the disease forum is chock full of loss help posts, within the first eight months of stocking unprepped fish and corals. they all thought too they could skip it.

many of the entrants in the help threads did attempt to qt and fallow, but did it wrong somewhere along the way and disease still got through, even after they tried. not trying at all to prevent disease is literally welcoming it, especially in dry start tanks that have no natural biosuppression built into the rocks.

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi!
So now I'm on Day 12 of my fishless cycle where i've been lightly feeding pellets and testing every other day.

Ammonia: 0.25 to <0.15 (it was very close as the colors on the salifert test are so similar) I also put one of those seachem ammonia test cards inside the tank yesterday and it reads safe (<0.02) It was still at 1.5 two days ago when I tested last.

Nitrites: 0.5 - this was at 1 last time I tested 4days ago
Nitrates: 100
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.5F

Am I ready for fish? I plan on starting with one Clownfish and then adding the CUC after the tank becomes a little more established.

And with the nitrates being so high, I'm guessing I need to do a water change before adding the clownfish. 20%? 50%?
Nitrates for some reason elevated but have LFS test your nitrates preferably with a NON-Api test kit and see what readings they come up with but should be safe

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
So now I'm on Day 12 of my fishless cycle where i've been lightly feeding pellets and testing every other day.

Ammonia: 0.25 to <0.15 (it was very close as the colors on the salifert test are so similar) I also put one of those seachem ammonia test cards inside the tank yesterday and it reads safe (<0.02) It was still at 1.5 two days ago when I tested last.

Am I ready for fish? I plan on starting with one Clownfish and then adding the CUC after the tank becomes a little more established.

And with the nitrates being so high, I'm guessing I need to do a water change before adding the clownfish. 20%? 50%?
Yep! Large water change and add a fish or 2!

Netotek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycling is no longer your issue, it's done a while back (your non digital test kits have delays in reporting compared to digital nh3 kits)

based on the # of days running plus your ammonia drop reported, even the non digital test kits now agree it's ready.

the risk to your fish now lies in the preps from the stickies in the disease forum, you're about to skip past those crucial steps. (fallow and quarantine)

read that thread if you want to keep your fish alive the longest vs replace them every few months

you add fish last, not first, to avoid having to use a separate tank to fallow prep every single item you'll add from a pet store coming up, and that's a lot of items. hardly anyone will adhere to what they're reading above, which is why on any given day the disease forum is chock full of loss help posts, within the first eight months of stocking unprepped fish and corals. they all thought too they could skip it.

many of the entrants in the help threads did attempt to qt and fallow, but did it wrong somewhere along the way and disease still got through, even after they tried. not trying at all to prevent disease is literally welcoming it, especially in dry start tanks that have no natural biosuppression built into the rocks.
Looks like I have some research to do. I'm new to saltwater altogether so my thoughts were to have the fishtank going and well established before trying any corals since I've never tried them before and to be honest, I hadn't considered it until I came across R2R during my fishcare research.

Ultimately I want what is best for the fish, I'm not too keen on waiting year(s) to add a fish but I will look into it and try to make the right choice.

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate the help

Nutramar Foods

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

This is nothing my mistake lol

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back