Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank that is now fully cycled. (Have not yet done water change to bring nitrates down.)

Unfortunately I made the mistake of originally using blindingly white (for now) "dead rock" in my tank. After doing some reading, I've decided to remove some of that rock and add 10 pounds of live rock.

Would my bacteria colony be established enough that it will quickly address any die-off of organisms in the live rock? Or should I expect days for another cycle to complete?

Thanks in advance!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank that is now fully cycled. (Have not yet done water change to bring nitrates down.)

Unfortunately I made the mistake of originally using blindingly white (for now) "dead rock" in my tank. After doing some reading, I've decided to remove some of that rock and add 10 pounds of live rock.

Would my bacteria colony be established enough that it will quickly address any die-off of organisms in the live rock? Or should I expect days for another cycle to complete?

Thanks in advance!
I think you did the right thing by adding liverock. Nobody would know for sure if the liverock will cause another cycle because there are too many variables. I would count on one and test for ammonia or just wait a couple months before adding livestock.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya ultimatly if you going to lfs with buckets of saltwater to put the live rock in and taki g home like i did then no cycle. Tampa bay salt no cycle. Some stuff ordered online and wrapped in newspaper and shipped big cycle

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% sure if you answer Cell's question he will tell you if this planned setup is a 100% skip cycle no problem approach. swapping out cycled rocks for cycled rocks is 0% problem :)

I endorse this full rock changeout 100% you just saved a world of extended invasion headache

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acquiring the live rock? From your LFS or local reefer, none or minimal die off. Shipped in water? Minimal die off. Shipped in paper towels? Moderate potential die off.
From Gulf Live Rock, shipped overnight.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean live rock
Great choice first of all. There might be a little die off but nothing serious. (Some of the sponges and other organisms may or may not make it.) Personally I'd play it safe and just allow a few days to pass before adding livestock even though it's likely not required...i mean what's a few days for peace of mind?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped overnight in water or wet paper towels? In water you can potentially go straight into your system, though I'd recommend still QT'ing it and testing just to be safe. In wet towels, you will definitely want to isolate it for a bit. You may want to qt it regardless for pest management though.

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice first of all. There might be a little die off but nothing serious. (Some of the sponges and other organisms may or may not make it.) Personally I'd play it safe and just allow a few days to pass before adding livestock even though it's likely not required...i mean what's a few days for peace of mind?
Oh yeah, definitely ... I'll make sure all the parameters are right when I add livestock. I was just curious as to what I might expect to happen when I add live rock to a cycled tank. Thanks.

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little spike in some ammonia maybe if there is some die off. But the stuff on the live rock will grow on your dead rock in time. Hope the sponges make it for you cuz there is some cool colors like orange and purple that come on that stuff.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back