Costco battery backup… any good?

GreatLakeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Costco is selling these right now for under 150$….

No matter how hard I try, I can never remember how many amp/watts/volts are really needed to make a battery back up worth it.

Would this thing be any good for a standard reef tank with return, circulation, lights, and roller/skimmer??

IMG_5579.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but if it was lithium ion storage I would be afraid to leave it plugged in. I can wire a house but Im scared of a lithium fire. Good luck, and lets call this a bump!

200.gif

Jason Jordan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing wrong with cyber power for the small versions like this.
But i do suggest proactively replacing the internal batteries around 2 - 3 year mark versus the 4 - 5 year mark.
they typically use cheap batteries.
Note: this is coming from someone who has been servicing large scale commercial UPS systems for 17 years.

O and keep the unit somewhere with good air circulation

Darstar301

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is more designed for a backup for a PC to save files and shutdown. I tested a model like that on my return pump for a 150 Gallon tank and it only lasted about 30 minutes. Yours may last longer depending on the watts pulled from the return pump. I spent a little more and bought a Ecoflow with a Lifepo4 battery and my testing of the same return pump lasted 20 hours. The unit works like a UPS and switches to battery if the power goes out and I can get home from work to start my generator.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would this thing be any good for a standard reef tank with return, circulation, lights, and roller/skimmer??
It can not run all those things more than probably 10 minutes

If you plugged just a return pump in, and you had a efficient dc return pump, you could get a couple hours of runtime

CoralNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually sell replacement LiFePo4 battery packs for lead acid UPS. For example, this.

That way, you get the capacity benefits and long cycle life of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries but it's much cheaper than buying an ecoflow. Also, I trust Cyberpower and APC to do instant switchover.

Edit: Wanted to add that the drop in works because the LiFePO4 packs contain a Battery Management chip that enables them to work with Lead Acid charing schemes.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

300$ and the ups cuts over in 10ms

This can run the return pump on my 75g for 44 hours, and can recharge frlm solar panel if needed.

Eco flow is good also but I find this brand makes higher rated products for slightly less money

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is more designed for a backup for a PC to save files and shutdown. I tested a model like that on my return pump for a 150 Gallon tank and it only lasted about 30 minutes. Yours may last longer depending on the watts pulled from the return pump. I spent a little more and bought a Ecoflow with a Lifepo4 battery and my testing of the same return pump lasted 20 hours. The unit works like a UPS and switches to battery if the power goes out and I can get home from work to start my generator.
This sounds like a good switch. My UPS is onlylasting about an hour when the power goes out... and this is just to power a DC return pump. Seems pretty bad to me. I believe it used to last more like 6 hours which is still short.

They actually sell replacement LiFePo4 battery packs for lead acid UPS. For example, this.

That way, you get the capacity benefits and long cycle life of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries but it's much cheaper than buying an ecoflow. Also, I trust Cyberpower and APC to do instant switchover.

Edit: Wanted to add that the drop in works because the LiFePO4 packs contain a Battery Management chip that enables them to work with Lead Acid charing schemes.
Checking this out since I think the UPS is fine otherwise and definitely switches over when necessary.

One way or another I need to switch. Thanks for the great suggestions.

CoralNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, make sure it's LiFePO4, whatever route you choose. Much safer chemistry than Lithium Ion, though lower total energy capacity due to lower nominal voltage.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

300$ and the ups cuts over in 10ms

This can run the return pump on my 75g for 44 hours, and can recharge frlm solar panel if needed.

Eco flow is good also but I find this brand makes higher rated products for slightly less money

I have not tried that brand but it looks good.
I want to try it but do not need to become a power supply collector but my wife might say I already am (3 ecoflow and I ordered an Anker yesterday prime sale and 25% cash back with Capitol 1 shopping). I need to give one to my parents to keep their network going during outages.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have not tried that brand but it looks good.
I want to try it but do not need to become a power supply collector but my wife might say I already am (3 ecoflow and I ordered an Anker yesterday prime sale and 25% cash back with Capitol 1 shopping). I need to give one to my parents to keep their network going during outages.
I have one of these (cellpowa600) powering a surge protector and have my home router and a lamp with led bulb connected. If power goes out my internet and phones stay on, I room to hang out in with light, and I have a leftover 17” lcd tv I plug in with apps so I can get news, watch movies, etc. keeps the cell phones and a laptop charged also

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back