Corals Turing white

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 and PO4 are low, imo. Lighting may be too high, or flow too low. I’d try increasing nitrate to 5-10 ppm and decrease lighting by at least 10% until you can par map the tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to be starving. Raise the nitrate and phosphate (feed the fish more and dose more of the red sea reef energy). The corals being pale but still showing polyp extension as well as the numbers you listed sound like a starving situation. I also do recommend quality bituminous or rox carbon in any tank.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral farmers grew that acro is a long tank

Probably with 6+ Radions mounted high. And some strips along the side

Check out POTOs videos, they show how they light their tanks. Tidal Gardens has over $100,000 in Radions in their farm

Mounted high, which gives a more diffuse and regular light to the corals. This is due to the Inverse Square Law of light

Jason Fox uses cheap Chinese no name LEDs for his farm. But he still has them mounted high, and virtually touching each other. Forming one huge panel of light over each of his grow tanks

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The coral farmers grew that acro is a long tank

Probably with 6+ Radions mounted high. And some strips along the side

Check out POTOs videos, they show how they light their tanks. Tidal Gardens has over $100,000 in Radions in their farm

Mounted high, which gives a more diffuse and regular light to the corals. This is due to the Inverse Square Law of light

Jason Fox uses cheap Chinese no name LEDs for his farm. But he still has them mounted high, and virtually touching each other. Forming one huge panel of light over each of his grow tanks
So are you saying i should increase the intensity and raise the light height??

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is only 24" wide
If you have a single LED light that can still cause shading problems. Short tanks like that are hard because you wouldn't be able to spread out 2 LED lights far apart enough to eliminate the shading. I'd suggest T5 supplementation. Shading gets worse the larger the coral.

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have a single LED light that can still cause shading problems. Short tanks like that are hard because you wouldn't be able to spread out 2 LED lights far apart enough to eliminate the shading. I'd suggest T5 supplementation. Shading gets worse the larger the coral.
What about replacing the Hydra 32 with 21" AI Blade lights

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying i should increase the intensity and raise the light height??
No

You need 400ish PAR at your acro level of your tank

Do not just willy nilly increase intensity. You'll kill your animals that way

What I am saying is that your acros are not getting any light on their sides, and are self shadowing themselves

You need more LEDs, spread out like a panel of light, and higher, and 400ish PAR at the acro level

Look at how the ATI Stratons are made. These are made by a T5 company, to mimic T5 lighting. It's a huge panel of light. One of those would be perfect over 24" tank

This is a diagram for photographers, but it is equally pertinent to coral growers
Inverse-Square-Law-Light-Fall-Off-to-the-Square-952152151.png

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors on the corals never seem to get like they should. When the lights go out all the corals look either white like the pictures or brown. The coral in the second picture should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 13-44-16 WWC Grizzly Adams Acropora.png
With the lights out? is that a type o? If it is not then they would look brown or white. With the lights on you will see colors.
Looks to me your nutrients are very low. That could be the cause. Too much light could also cause them to be lighter. Agree that pic is probably in perfect health and perfect parameters.

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No

You need 400ish PAR at your acro level of your tank

Do not just willy nilly increase intensity. You'll kill your animals that way

What I am saying is that your acros are not getting any light on their sides, and are self shadowing themselves

You need more LEDs, spread out like a panel of light, and higher, and 400ish PAR at the acro level

Look at how the ATI Stratons are made. These are made by a T5 company, to mimic T5 lighting. It's a huge panel of light. One of those would be perfect over 24" tank

This is a diagram for photographers, but it is equally pertinent to coral growers
Inverse-Square-Law-Light-Fall-Off-to-the-Square-952152151.png
Would adding a T5 Hybrid fixture help??

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't think lighting is the issue if they have been doing well previously. This really just seems like a nitrate/phosphate issue. Don't attempt anything else until you raise those and see what happens.

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I still don't think lighting is the issue if they have been doing well previously. This really just seems like a nitrate/phosphate issue. Don't attempt anything else until you raise those and see what happens.
I have neophos and neonitro, what levels should I raise them to?

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding a T5 Hybrid fixture help??
If you can get German T5 tubes

Sure

Premiumaquatics.com still has PAR sensors/meters on sale, last I checked. The Clearance25 sale is over though

That is to say, If you had a PAR meter, you could raise your light, and get the 400 PAR at your acro level

I think it depends on how much you want to grow acros in your tank, though

How many acros do you have in your tank right now? How many do you want?

You don't need the whole meter. You can get the sensor, plug it into your laptop. And check your PAR that way

This is why I need another tank just for acros
20240730_125925.jpg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have neophos and neonitro, what levels should I raise them to?

Well for the nitrate, I like a minimum of 5ppm. Upping the reef energy should help keep it there. For phosphate, start at 0.05ppm and try to maintain it between 0.03-0.1ppm with the lower side being better.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly true

jeffmr4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with twentyleagues about them looking brown with the lights off. I'm getting a VBR-Aqua par meter from amazon that runs $160. If that is within your budget, it might be worth it. As far as nutrients, your nitrate and phosphate sound right but I'm not an expert when it comes to sps. Good luck!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back