+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I'm cycling a new 75 gallon tank and I would like to eventually try my hand at a Copperband Butteflyfish.

I have read online how often other fish may bully them or outcompete them for the food when they are introduced to the tank, and a guy in a reef tank whatsapp group actually recommended me to start with this as the first fish.

Good idea, or terrible one?

World Wide Corals

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Copperband as it is a destroyer of aiptasia. It has not been a problem for feeding but it has a lot of aiptasia to eat that other fish don’t compete for. I think the only idea to add it first is not the worst idea I’ve heard but if it is bullied by other fish then it will potentially be a problem because of the presence of a bully more than the stocking order. What aggressive fish are you thinking of adding later?

OP
OP
S

Saralay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Copperband as it is a destroyer of aiptasia. It has not been a problem for feeding but it has a lot of aiptasia to eat that other fish don’t compete for. I think the only idea to add it first is not the worst idea I’ve heard but if it is bullied by other fish then it will potentially be a problem because of the presence of a bully more than the stocking order. What aggressive fish are you thinking of adding later?
This is my stock idea:

2 clownfish
1 firefish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 Banggai Cardinalfish
1 longnose hawkfish
1 kole tang
1 royal gramma
and the copperband

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's risky. My copper band didn't eat anything but worms and pods and I was able to eventually get him eating mysis shrimp. If you start him in a tank void of these things you are going be trying to get him to eat with nothing to hold him off. Copper bands won't eat unless they feel comfortable, if It doesn't have anything to keep him going he won't feel comfortable and you will have less if a chance to get him eating. With that being said CBs are a little bit of a gamble. Some are just more difficult than others. Long story short you want to set yourself up for success and a brand new tank will be starting off on the wrong foot

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back