Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have a foxface, so skipping the tang all together may be my best bet and go with smaller wrasses. I think we're done with angels as well since we want to for sure keep another CBB
The best tang for adding fish after it is a Ctenochaetus binotatus from what I’ve experienced.
My newest introduction was this girl (she was added on Wednesday).
7AC314B2-8E22-4DF3-B148-AE315961EDD1.jpeg

Regal Angels are known for being shy and not doing too well with aggression, my Twin Spot was the least aggressive fish, out of the ones that were aggressive, in the tank. I highly recommend the Ctenochaetus route, these guys are peaceful but also remain smaller (usually maxing out at 2”).
The only ‘aggression’ I have ever seen with my Twin Spot has been to do with the hierarchy, it’s never aggression like a PBT, instead it’s colour up and then make himself look at big as possible.

AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any last opinion on adding them at the same time, orange shoulder being the smaller of the 2?
I personally wouldn’t do an Orange Shoulder as they do get 14” in captivity (if not larger). If you plan on rehoming once he grows (which will likely be within 2-3 years at the max by the time an OS will outgrow a 6’ 125G tank) then I would go for it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's either an orange spot and eventually rehome it, or a two spot bristletooth.
That’s the two I’d personally chose from considering what I’ve experienced with my Twin Spot and I’ve also experienced Orange Shoulders in the LFS and will agree with them generally being the peace keepers of the Acanthurus genus with their close relative, Acanthurus tennentii.

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange Shoulder is an Acanthurus. Similar to other Acanthurus tangs it will eventually show aggression as it gets bigger and it's need for territory increases. Trying to add a 2nd Acanthurus to your tank with your established Powder Blue will most likely result in the death of the new fish. If you were to try this you would need to remove the PBT to the sump for a while and/or rearrange the rockwork to change up the territoriality a little.

Additionally this fish grows up to 14" (let's say 12" in a home aquarium) and will outgrow your 125 rather quickly and need to be rehomed in short order.

The Bellus is another issue in and of itself. It has already shown a propensity for aggression to new tankmates and anything new added now is a risk.

If you truly want to keep a CBB I would suggest seeing if your LFS will take the Powder Blue and the Bellus for store credit. Then you would need to source a CBB that is eating (for more than 2 days at the LFS) to introduce to a tank with less aggression. Once this fish is established then look to add back another fish (smaller Ctenochaetus tang or as mentioned maybe a Siganus; Foxface Lo or One-Spot, that stay smaller).

YMMV

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange Shoulder is an Acanthurus. Similar to other Acanthurus tangs it will eventually show aggression as it gets bigger and it's need for territory increases. Trying to add a 2nd Acanthurus to your tank with your established Powder Blue will most likely result in the death of the new fish. If you were to try this you would need to remove the PBT to the sump for a while and/or rearrange the rockwork to change up the territoriality a little.

Additionally this fish grows up to 14" (let's say 12" in a home aquarium) and will outgrow your 125 rather quickly and need to be rehomed in short order.

The Bellus is another issue in and of itself. It has already shown a propensity for aggression to new tankmates and anything new added now is a risk.

If you truly want to keep a CBB I would suggest seeing if your LFS will take the Powder Blue and the Bellus for store credit. Then you would need to source a CBB that is eating (for more than 2 days at the LFS) to introduce to a tank with less aggression. Once this fish is established then look to add back another fish (smaller Ctenochaetus tang or as mentioned maybe a Siganus; Foxface Lo or One-Spot, that stay smaller).

YMMV
Sorry I didn't make it clear, the bellus and pbt have both been removed.

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of tangs and the bristletooths were the meanest.

I had a CBB, nice size, in the tank for a few months and either the tangs, angels or triggers got to them. Think it was that it was too scared to eat...

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't make it clear, the bellus and pbt have both been removed.
I misunderstood then. My appologies.

My suggestion would then be to find a CBB that is healthy and eating to add. Once it is established add either the smaller Ctenochaetus tang or as mentioned maybe a Siganus; Foxface Lo or One-Spot, as they stay smaller.

That said, I am not a fan of venomous fish in my aquarium so the Foxface are out for me.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misunderstood then. My appologies.

My suggestion would then be to find a CBB that is healthy and eating to add. Once it is established add either the smaller Ctenochaetus tang or as mentioned maybe a Siganus; Foxface Lo or One-Spot, as they stay smaller.
We also have a one spot foxface already

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of tangs and the bristletooths were the meanest.
This surprises me, I have had most of my ‘difficult’ fish for 3 years at this point and two of them are a CBB and Twin Spot Bristletooth. Out of the two, my CBB is the most aggressive to new introductions.
My difficult fish are; Regal Angel (That girl was only recently added though), CBB (3 years old), Radiant Wrasse (3 years old), Twin Spot Bristletooth (3 years old), I have another but I can’t think of what it is right now.

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We originally wanted 2 "bigger" fish as a centerpiece. Hopefully our next CBB grows into that role with the foxface.

Our foxface used to do a good job on algae, but recently doesn't. It waits on frozen or nori lol
Honestly, the CBB is one of the slowest growing fish I have ever cared for. It may have a competitor soon though.
I wouldn’t count on it being a big display fish straight away instead it’ll likely be one of the small background fish.

My CBB may be 3 years old but he’s only put on growth of about .5” (if that) in the time I’ve had him.

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This surprises me, I have had most of my ‘difficult’ fish for 3 years at this point and two of them are a CBB and Twin Spot Bristletooth. Out of the two, my CBB is the most aggressive to new introductions.
My difficult fish are; Regal Angel (That girl was only recently added though), CBB (3 years old), Radiant Wrasse (3 years old), Twin Spot Bristletooth (3 years old), I have another but I can’t think of what it is right now.

Had to pull my Blue Tang. Got really aggressive as well. Sat in my 150 frag for a few weeks by itself trying to find a home for it.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t do an Orange Shoulder as they do get 14” in captivity (if not larger). If you plan on rehoming once he grows (which will likely be within 2-3 years at the max by the time an OS will outgrow a 6’ 125G tank) then I would go for it.
:O I have 6’ 125 with OS….. I did not realize that was not permanent home for OS. Guess I’m in the market for an upgrade… now how to tell the wife…

Corals.com
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up going with both. The orange shoulder already has its adult colors at around 4 or 5 inches. Gorgeous fish. It's actually befriended the CBB already.

Our Foxface is definitely not happy yet though. Been chasing it since we added it, but only seems like it's showing its the boss. The tang just swims away and goes back to pecking at rocks. Very happy so far!

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the orange shoulder and the copperband have been completely fine together until today. The orange shoulder has been relentlessly going after the copperband, so likely gonna have to rehome the tang.

I'm beginning not trust anything any site says about these fish. Every one that has been labeled mostly peaceful, we've found to absolutely not be and go after other fish lol. Frustrating, but it IS a tang I guess

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back