Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any prior aggression between the clowns? If not, I have a hard time believing it went from best friends to killing in one night. How long did you have the cardinal and clown for?

OP
OP
N

Nacole117

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns we had since day 5 of the tank and they fought a little when we first got them but other than racing each other to food they havent been picking at each other. The cardinal was new and didnt like eating much and stayed in 1 corner of the tank

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bangaii cardinal was a very picky eater when I first got him. The prazi didn't help...But I had to resort to live blackworms for awhile. Now he eats flakes and frozen. If yours was new, not quarantined and never really seemed healthy, then it was probably sick to begin with and might have needed some sort of medication to survive which is not uncommon in the current market.

Just keep a close eye on your other livestock for any signs of disease or illness for the next couple days. Make sure they are all active and eating.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O now I feel dumb. But would they attack him? He was alive this morning at 240 perfectly fine. Then this morning at 10 he was just missing his tail then he died about 10 minutes after i found him like that
If he was in the process of dying, yes the CUC could have gotten to him

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i hadnt seen the yellow tailed chromis in a couple hours before i checked the tank so he mightve died and floated out of his hidey hole
I think best idea is to keep monitoring the fish for any signs of aggression toward each other and to keep a close eye on the parameters for a month or 2 before considering any more fish. The clownfish I'd leave on its own for at least another 2 months so it establishes itself as the female and then consider a much smaller one that comes from a group of similar size so you know it's likely a male

Nutramar Foods

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would not have added so much fish so soon unless very experienced in marine aquarium. I'd let the tank mature several months prior to adding more fish. Also from pix of ur tank, it appears u r using hang-on-back (HOB) filter unless the tubes r draining into a sump w protein skimmer that I do not see. It's possible to run a tank w/o a skimmer, but more difficult. Can u provide pix of filter or list them?

Oh also, if it was me I'd look for another Local Fish Store (LFS). In my experience with LFS, the good trustworthy ones are unfortunately too few and far between and it's been caveat emptor as per ur experience. :( Cycling a tank w fish is old school and a LFS who'd recommend this while rapidly selling a beginner so many fish is setting them up for failure. :mad:

There r many diff ways to be a successful reef keeper and what works for others may not work for u, which sometimes results in opposing advices as u can see in this forum... I usually ignore assertive advice from Mr. Know It All's. ;) However there is ONE thing that we all agree on and that's patience. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. Take it slow, read articles & research what people tell u w/o blindly accepting things folks say as the final answer and over time u'll figure out what works for you. :)

Rhydder_Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would not have added so much fish so soon unless very experienced in marine aquarium. I'd let the tank mature several months prior to adding more fish. Also from pix of ur tank, it appears u r using hang-on-back (HOB) filter unless the tubes r draining into a sump w protein skimmer that I do not see. It's possible to run a tank w/o a skimmer, but more difficult. Can u provide pix of filter or list them?

Oh also, if it was me I'd look for another Local Fish Store (LFS). In my experience with LFS, the good trustworthy ones are unfortunately too few and far between and it's been caveat emptor as per ur experience. :( Cycling a tank w fish is old school and a LFS who'd recommend this while rapidly selling a beginner so many fish is setting them up for failure. :mad:

There r many diff ways to be a successful reef keeper and what works for others may not work for u, which sometimes results in opposing advices as u can see in this forum... I usually ignore assertive advice from Mr. Know It All's. ;) However there is ONE thing that we all agree on and that's patience. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. Take it slow, read articles & research what people tell u w/o blindly accepting things folks say as the final answer and over time u'll figure out what works for you. :)
+1 TO THIS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back