Clown stays in top corner. Heavy breathing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do I give tretmant in QT tank or can I do in dispat tank too because he is the only fish there?

I have several corals and crabs too.
Rally can be given in display although I prefer quarantine especially since it works slower and any worms that fall off can have opportunity to seek next host

AquaCave Logo Banner

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two sources for Formalin. It is a carcinogen as mentioned.

However, I am not sure this is Brooke, it doesn't look like it to me. The labored breathing is a concern and can also point towards velvet or even gill flukes. In this case you would treat with copper for velvet and praziquantel for flukes.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd day of QT.

Fish looks better. Still breathing heavy but looks like with less intesity then yeterday.

She hangs out by heater in QT.

I offered some tiny pieaces of flakes but she is not eating.

How can I fed fish in QT and how long she can last without food?

Thank you

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can last a couple weeks without food. You should focus on keeping pristine water quality and don't fowl it up with excess food attempts or you can syphon out unconsumed food afterwards. General Cure would only be treating flukes which needs to be administered 8-9 days apart for the egg hatchlings. Metro could help with Brook and possibly eradicate it but I've read contradicting articles regarding Metro and Brook. Copper or CP are the proper medications to eradicate velvet and ich. Good-luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can last a couple weeks without food. You should focus on keeping prestige water quality and don't fowl it up with excess food attempts or you can syphon out unconsumed food afterwards. General Cure would only be treating flukes which needs to be administered 8-9 days apart for the egg hatchlings. Metro could help with Brook and possibly eradicate it but I've read contradicting articles regarding Metro and Brook. Copper or CP are the proper medications to eradicate velvet and ich. Good-luck!

Thanks for the answers.

So if fish has brook Im not treating it with general cure?

What can I add for brook that is not formalin?

What do you mean by: "General Cure would only be treating flukes which needs to be administered 8-9 days apart for the egg hatchlings"

I'm afraid I don't uderstood that part.

BRS

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers.

So if fish has brook Im not treating it with general cure?

What can I add for brook that is not formalin?

What do you mean by: "General Cure would only be treating flukes which needs to be administered 8-9 days apart for the egg hatchlings"

I'm afraid I don't uderstood that part.
The elevated breathing is typically associated with poor water quality, ammonia spikes, or if parasitic related the culprit is velvet or flukes. Elevated breathing can also be true for final stages of ich and brook but at this point you'd see the obvious body ailments for confirmation.

Regarding flukes, these parasitic worms lay tiny eggs/larva that praziquantel can't kill until they hatch, so multiple treatments required approx. 8-9 days apart to ensure you eradicate the disease. It can take upwards 3-4 treatments sometimes.

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

If general cure doens't help in next 3 days, should I change medicine?

And if fish is doing better can I return it to display tank (he is theo only fish there)
If you're dealing with a parasite, adding the fish back to the display will just reinfect it. You'll need to run your display fish-less for 6-8 weeks to starve the parasite out all dependent on which parasite you're dealing with.

Are you seeing any visible signs of disease on the fish? again based on what I've read here on the thread, I don't think a proper diagnosis has been provided.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dealing with a parasite, adding the fish back to the display will just reinfect it. You'll need tot run your display fish-less for 6-8 weeks to starve the parasite out all dependent on which parasite you're dealing with.

Are you seeing any visible signs of disease on the fish? again based on what I've read here on the thread, I don't think a proper diagnosis has been provided.

Yeah that's what I worry too, that wrong diagnosis is provided.

He doesn't have any spots or slime or mucus on his face and body, only heavy breathing, not eating and gasping for air on top or haning at bottom.

Water conditions are good.

Few days before infected fish was in tank and she had very damaged body from infections.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like velvet or flukes rather than brook IME. Velvet has no visible symptoms a majority of the time but the parasite suffocates the fish by consuming the gills. Velvet is a quick killer, usually 2-3 days. Rapid breathing, hanging at the surface or swimming into high flow are typical signs.

Flukes is also tough to see with the naked eye and is much slower to kill than velvet. Fish infected with flukes typically yawn excessively, flash, or scratch frequently against objects as well as rapid breathing.

Brooklynella look like the below pictures and there are visible symptoms on the skin of the fish before it floods the gills.

Early stages
Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 2.36.26 PM.png

Advanced stages
Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 2.36.11 PM.png

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like velvet or flukes rather than brook IME. Velvet has no visible symptoms a majority of the time but the parasite suffocates the fish by consuming the gills. Velvet is a quick killer, usually 2-3 days. Rapid breathing, hanging at the surface or swimming into high flow are typical signs.

Flukes is also tough to see with the naked eye and is much slower to kill than velvet. Fish infected with flukes typically yawn excessively, flash, or scratch frequently against objects as well as rapid breathing.

Brooklynella look like the below pictures and there are visible symptoms on the skin of the fish before it floods the gills.

Early stages
View attachment 3050546
Advanced stages
View attachment 3050548

Yea Im sure the small fish that died few days ago had brook.

This fish now has nothing on the body, only heavy breathing and not eating.

Flukes is possibility because I saw yawns and scratches too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case, General Cure would be best suited for flukes. As mentioned it has shown positive results on eradication of brook, just not always.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't have any spots or slime or mucus on his face and body, only heavy breathing, not eating and gasping for air on top or haning at
That sounds more like flukes.

LA Reefer is right, general cure (metro + prazi) should cover that.

Prazi can go into the display, but general cure also has metro so should be used in a hospital tank.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 48h of treating fish with general cire in QT, fish still breathing rapidly, not eating. She is hanging under heater in QT tank.

I will perform 50% WC tommorow in QT.

Should I keep adding medicine?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Day 10 of QT.

I was treating fish with general cure and there was no any signs of improvement.

3 days ago I started with prazi and it looks better. Fish is swimming in QT and it for first time swimming towards food, I don't think she ate but did put in mouth and spit out. Breathing looks better but still with open mouth and fast breathing.

My queation is: it is 11 or 12 day without food, how long fish can survive more? If fish is cured from flukes, how long until breathing is normal again?

Thank you

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back