Brook during tank swap

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on a situation....

I am in the process of slowly upgrading my 15g to a 45g. I had a bunch of corals and 2 clowns in the 15g. I moved about half the corals and one of the clowns and everything's going great in the new tank. After the clown was in there for 4 days, I bought two new fish from the LFS and went to put them into the new tank. After acclimating I put them both in....one (a springer damsel) does perfectly fine as I would expect. The other (Royal Gramma) looks like it's majorly in shock. It's nearly motionless, not swimming, and basically just stuck in between my two return nozzles up against the wall. Now my new tank is only 1.5 weeks old....all my parameters are good, but I don't have an ammonia tester, so I just kind of assumed that my clown being in here 4 for days and doing just fine was enough evidence that ammonia was fine. Anyways, I kind of rushed to thinking this must be ammonia related, and I pulled him out and put him directly into my 15g tank since it's much mroe well established (without further acclimation). He continued breathing heavy, but could actually swim now, and went straight into a hole in a rock.

He would come out temporarily to eat, but retreated back to his hole where I couldn't even see it to see if it was breathing heavy or looked normal or what. When he was out, he looked 100% normal. After 4 days in the small tank, I decided it was time to move it back to the big tank, however he was still just hiding in the rock work. I ended up stirring up the rocks WAY more than I wanted to. The tank was cloudy as all get out and I'm sure I stressed the ever living crap out of the fish. I ended up taking the whole rock and dipping it in the new tank, and the Royal Gramma swam right out and hid under a new rock in the 45g tank.

The clownfish that's still in the 15g tank starts having serious rapid breating and movements, looking very much like brook, which my LFS agreed with. (). I attempted a freshwater dunk, which seemed like it dang near killed it. Instantly went motionless and would barely move even when I touched it. I only did this for like 45-60 seconds and got him back into his tank where he went right back to rapid movements and breathing. I didn't have any treatment on hand, and neither did any of the local fish stores. Paraguard (formalyn alternative) was the best I could find, so I attempted dunk him in 3ml of that with 1 gallon of water. He was ok-ish for about 45 minutes (Lots of upside down floating, then coming back to and swimming for a second), then went motionless. I removed it and put him back in the tank, but it was gone. So I think it's safe to say there is most likely brook in my 15g and I cannot move anything else from there into my larger tank.

Neither fish exhibited any symptoms at all prior to me trying to get the Royal Gramma out, so it seems like I caused this with this high stress event maybe?? Anyways, the royal gramma hid pretty well in the new tank and would barely venture out. I never saw any heavy breathing, but I did see it try to go into the rock that the Springer Damsel hides in and the springer bit off a fin or part of a fin. I only saw the Royal Gramma peek its head out a touch after that and this morning it was dead. So.....

1.) Do I assume that my 15g tank definitely has brook and not move anything else from it? It has a bunch of snails and my crab which I would like to move to the large tank, but not if it's going to kill more fish... I guess I have to let this go fishless for 75 days, then I can move the inverts?

2.) Do I assume my big tank also has brook even though the Royal Gramma never exhibited symptoms (and the other two fish are both acting completely normal)? Do I just keep monitoring for....<x> days? How long is enough to know I can continue adding fish? I'm not sure I could ever confidently say the tank is clean. If I have to go fallow, I'd prefer to just go ahead and start that now, but then I'd have to clean out my 15g completely so that it can serve at my QT, which would be essentially killing all the inverts in there? How would you go about this situation?

45g Params when I put the fish in:
Salinity: 1.025
ph: 8.15ish
nitrates: 5
calcium: 400
alk: 8.1
nitrites: don't have a tester, but these garbage little API sticks say 0
ammonia: don't have a tester
temp: 78.1

Sorry that was alot of text..... Also thanks for any help/advice!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you a longer video of the clown, as well as clearer pictures? The rapid breathing is more indicative of velvet, especially if paired with swimming into the flow.
If you see a lot of mucus production, that is characteristic of brook.

If velvet, copper is the best treatment. Brook is best treated with formalin or acriflavine (acriflavine is safer and more readily available, so is more preferred nowadays - it is the main active ingredient of ruby rally).
Both only need a 6 week fallow, but going up to 60 days to cover for ich wouldn’t hurt either.

Most likely the gramma brought the disease in if fish only started acting up after it was added. This is why all new fish really should be quarantined. Any tank that a sick fish touched should be considered infected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not
Looking for opinions on a situation....

I am in the process of slowly upgrading my 15g to a 45g. I had a bunch of corals and 2 clowns in the 15g. I moved about half the corals and one of the clowns and everything's going great in the new tank. After the clown was in there for 4 days, I bought two new fish from the LFS and went to put them into the new tank. After acclimating I put them both in....one (a springer damsel) does perfectly fine as I would expect. The other (Royal Gramma) looks like it's majorly in shock. It's nearly motionless, not swimming, and basically just stuck in between my two return nozzles up against the wall. Now my new tank is only 1.5 weeks old....all my parameters are good, but I don't have an ammonia tester, so I just kind of assumed that my clown being in here 4 for days and doing just fine was enough evidence that ammonia was fine. Anyways, I kind of rushed to thinking this must be ammonia related, and I pulled him out and put him directly into my 15g tank since it's much mroe well established (without further acclimation). He continued breathing heavy, but could actually swim now, and went straight into a hole in a rock.

He would come out temporarily to eat, but retreated back to his hole where I couldn't even see it to see if it was breathing heavy or looked normal or what. When he was out, he looked 100% normal. After 4 days in the small tank, I decided it was time to move it back to the big tank, however he was still just hiding in the rock work. I ended up stirring up the rocks WAY more than I wanted to. The tank was cloudy as all get out and I'm sure I stressed the ever living crap out of the fish. I ended up taking the whole rock and dipping it in the new tank, and the Royal Gramma swam right out and hid under a new rock in the 45g tank.

The clownfish that's still in the 15g tank starts having serious rapid breating and movements, looking very much like brook, which my LFS agreed with. (). I attempted a freshwater dunk, which seemed like it dang near killed it. Instantly went motionless and would barely move even when I touched it. I only did this for like 45-60 seconds and got him back into his tank where he went right back to rapid movements and breathing. I didn't have any treatment on hand, and neither did any of the local fish stores. Paraguard (formalyn alternative) was the best I could find, so I attempted dunk him in 3ml of that with 1 gallon of water. He was ok-ish for about 45 minutes (Lots of upside down floating, then coming back to and swimming for a second), then went motionless. I removed it and put him back in the tank, but it was gone. So I think it's safe to say there is most likely brook in my 15g and I cannot move anything else from there into my larger tank.

Neither fish exhibited any symptoms at all prior to me trying to get the Royal Gramma out, so it seems like I caused this with this high stress event maybe?? Anyways, the royal gramma hid pretty well in the new tank and would barely venture out. I never saw any heavy breathing, but I did see it try to go into the rock that the Springer Damsel hides in and the springer bit off a fin or part of a fin. I only saw the Royal Gramma peek its head out a touch after that and this morning it was dead. So.....

1.) Do I assume that my 15g tank definitely has brook and not move anything else from it? It has a bunch of snails and my crab which I would like to move to the large tank, but not if it's going to kill more fish... I guess I have to let this go fishless for 75 days, then I can move the inverts?

2.) Do I assume my big tank also has brook even though the Royal Gramma never exhibited symptoms (and the other two fish are both acting completely normal)? Do I just keep monitoring for....<x> days? How long is enough to know I can continue adding fish? I'm not sure I could ever confidently say the tank is clean. If I have to go fallow, I'd prefer to just go ahead and start that now, but then I'd have to clean out my 15g completely so that it can serve at my QT, which would be essentially killing all the inverts in there? How would you go about this situation?

45g Params when I put the fish in:
Salinity: 1.025
ph: 8.15ish
nitrates: 5
calcium: 400
alk: 8.1
nitrites: don't have a tester, but these garbage little API sticks say 0
ammonia: don't have a tester
temp: 78.1

Sorry that was alot of text..... Also thanks for any help/advice!

fish does have brooklynella and its assumes with any other occupants, they too have been exposed.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
kornface13

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you a longer video of the clown, as well as clearer pictures? The rapid breathing is more indicative of velvet, especially if paired with swimming into the flow.
If you see a lot of mucus production, that is characteristic of brook.

If velvet, copper is the best treatment. Brook is best treated with formalin or acriflavine (acriflavine is safer and more readily available, so is more preferred nowadays - it is the main active ingredient of ruby rally).
Both only need a 6 week fallow, but going up to 60 days to cover for ich wouldn’t hurt either.

Most likely the gramma brought the disease in if fish only started acting up after it was added. This is why all new fish really should be quarantined. Any tank that a sick fish touched should be considered infected.
This is the longest one I have: . I don't have any pics unfortunately. I tried but couldn't get anything decent.

So since we don't know 100% for sure what to treat for, would I just be quarantining solely to get the display tank fallow? Or will I be treating for something even if these surviving fish don't have any symptoms?

OP
OP
kornface13

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what should I do with my inverts that are currently in the 15g tank, which I need to use for QT? Stick them in the display tank and let it go fallow with them in there?

Then drain/sanitize/refill the 15g and QT without any treatments to start out?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for both brook and ich/velvet just to cover everything. A 60 day fallow will ensure that all diseases have been accounted for.
The inverts can be kept in the display during the fallow, they cannot contract any of the fish diseases.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what should I do with my inverts that are currently in the 15g tank, which I need to use for QT? Stick them in the display tank and let it go fallow with them in there?

Then drain/sanitize/refill the 15g and QT without any treatments to start out?

Ruby reef rally pro is safe in reef tanks in my experience.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the longest one I have: . I don't have any pics unfortunately. I tried but couldn't get anything decent.

So since we don't know 100% for sure what to treat for, would I just be quarantining solely to get the display tank fallow? Or will I be treating for something even if these surviving fish don't have any symptoms?

That looks like brooklynella to me…..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviews seem to be all over the place on this. I'm not sure I want to take the risk based on how many reviews I'm seeing saying it's not reef safe.

I think the bigger issue is if this product works against serious infections.....

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back