Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield hello! I am trying to conduct as much research as I can on the Giesemann AURORA HYBRID LED / T-5 & Giesemann SPECTRA HQ / T-5 and not much is out there when it comes to Giesmann information all I know hybrid lighting system is simply the best solution all round, I have read thru your thread, I see you have experience on both of them , could you kindly give a breakdown con's & Pro's between the two lighting system, visual differences, life support information between the two and most importantly why did you change from the Aurora to the Spectra?

I am in UAE I can only import the light and they came with a price tag & shipping is just expensive I just want to decide once on which system to pick and not regret it, thanking you in advance for any information

No problem, here we go! First let me say that you can't go wrong with either fixture. Also, since I assume you are only considering one of these Giesemann fixtures, I'm only going to compare the two fixtures against each other. I'm not going to mention how well they are crafted compared to other brands and so on. I'll also edit this list if I think of more.

Aurora

Pros:
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s.
  • Moonlight mode, storm mode etc.
  • Does not increase tank temperature... at least not on my tank.
  • Amazing coverage

Cons:
  • More expensive up front than the Spectra + ballasts + MH bulbs
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s... yes, this can also be a bad thing. Some reefers tinker too much or don't know what they are doing. Intense LED settings can quickly fry corals... especially in the white channels.
  • Not much shimmer, even though there is a healthy LED section. The T5 bulbs wash it out.
  • The LED section only has 3 channels of adjustment... which is weak compared to typical LED fixtures. This may hinder your ability to find a spectrum you like.
  • Slightly limited on PAR compared to the Spectra

Spectra

Pros:
  • Simple! Toss in your bulbs of choice and let it go.
  • Cheaper than the Aurora.
  • Metal halide shimmer
  • Amazing coverage
  • More PAR potential than the Aurora... simply toss in a higher wattage MH bulb. You would obviously need selectable ballasts in order to do this. I run 250 watt bulbs currently. If I ever go to more of an SPS dominated tank, I can simply turn the knob on my ballasts to 400 and buy 400 watt bulbs.
  • Can actually run all three lighting sources(LED, T5 and MH). I'm running the 250 MH bulbs, Actinic Blue T5 on the outside bulbs and Biotek Marine 20k LED retrofit bulbs on the inside.

Cons:
  • Not controllable in any way aside from having the outlets on timers. Each MH bulb is on its own power source and the T5 bulbs are on their own power source. You can get a little creative with timers though.... I run mine through my Apex.
  • Increased my tank temperature.
  • Higher yearly maintenance with the need to replace the MH bulbs. The T5s are a wash since both fixtures utilize four of them.

Last edited:
BRS

dullyxxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, here we go! First let me say that you can't go wrong with either fixture. Also, since I assume you are only considering one of these Giesemann fixtures, I'm only going to compare the two fixtures against each other. I'm not going to mention how well they are crafted compared to other brands and so on. I'll also edit this list if I think of more.

Aurora

Pros:
  • Amazing coverage

Cons:
  • Fully controllable LED section and 2-channel dimmable T5s... yes, this can also be a bad thing. Some reefers tinker too much or don't know what they are doing. Intense LED settings can quickly fry corals... especially in the white channels.
  • Not much shimmer, even though there is a healthy LED section. The T5 bulbs wash it out.
  • The LED section only has 3 channels of adjustment... which is weak compared to typical LED fixtures. This may hinder your ability to find a spectrum you like.

Spectra

Pros:
  • Metal halide shimmer
  • Amazing coverage
  • More PAR potential than the Aurora... simply toss in a higher wattage MH bulb. You would obviously need selectable ballasts in order to do this. I run 250 watt bulbs currently. If I ever go to more of an SPS dominated tank, I can simply turn the knob on my ballasts to 400 and buy 400 watt bulbs.
  • Can actually run all three lighting sources(LED, T5 and MH). I'm running the 250 MH bulbs, Actinic Blue T5 on the outside bulbs and Biotek Marine 20k LED retrofit bulbs on the inside.

Cons:
  • Not controllable in any way aside from having the outlets on timers. Each MH bulb is on it's own power source and the T5 bulbs are on their own power source. You can get a little creative with timers though.... I run mine through my Apex.
  • Higher yearly maintenance with the need to replace the MH bulbs. The T5s are a wash since both fixtures utilize four of them.
@Broadfield loud & Clear its like you were in my head I appreciate for the information provided thank you very much

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield loud & Clear its like you were in my head I appreciate for the information provided thank you very much

No problem, just let me know if you have any other specific questions about them.

dullyxxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, just let me know if you have any other specific questions about them.
@Broadfield I will if I have any thanking you in advance, you simplified my choice with your statement "First let me say that you can't go wrong with either fixture." all I have to consider is availability of parts & heat management

BRS
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank

I normally do not read long build threads but glad I did.

Thanks for the taking the time to check it out!

As a Spectra owner (and fan of your thread) I'd love to see a pic with just the Biotek LEDs on over the tank when you have the time.
I'm in Aus and don't think they or the Euro T5's are available yet but hopefully sometime soon.

No problem! Once I get some time, I'll do some comparison shots for you.

AS

dullyxxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, red sea sump video for the peninsula & XXL tanks is out for the past 8 months I have been researching and planning lights, skimmers, controllers, pumps e.t.c. what to go for what will create balance what would be good for the system and not just be marketing values I always had in mind the red sea reefer tanks that is how I go to pick the red sea reefer systems I was going to go for the XL 525 but I told myself for reefing be patient take your time always to whatever you want don't rush take your time and it will pay off, I am going to see what it will take to get myself Reefer XXL 625 @Broadfield I want to thank you for the lighting Advice I decided I will go with the Giesemann AURORA HYBRID LED / T-5 due to the fact it gets hot here in UAE up to 120 °F it's like normal here at pick summer for like 6 months, it would be better for me.
check out the video sump is a complete change from the former Reefer generation looks good to me

Top Shelf Aquatics

choss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aurora

Pros:
  • Amazing coverage

Cons:

Spectra

Pros:
  • Metal halide shimmer
  • Amazing coverage

Cons:
  • Not controllable in any way aside from having the outlets on timers. Each MH bulb is on its own power source and the T5 bulbs are on their own power source. You can get a little creative with timers though.... I run mine through my Apex.

Broadfield - amazing build thread. I spent the last 3 days rumbling through it. Job well done! Has to be one of my top 3 tanks ever.

I have two quick questions - first, how high above the water is the Spectra and how much did it raise your temp? Do you now need a chiller? Second, i saw that much of your Apex is in the basement including your DOS pump. Are you dosing all your fluids from downstairs now?

boozeman27

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Toby.I have also been following this thread as I prepare my 525XL build. I will probably post many questions to you throughout my build, but since I am just starting to purchase equipment I only have one right now. I am looking to purchase the same AquaMaxx reactors you have, but not sure which ones you use. I plan on just plumbing 2 of these. AquaMaxx has bio-pellet reactors and fluidized GFO & Carbon reactors, but it looks like you just plumbed 2 (or 3?)of the bio-pellet reactors. Can you explain which ones you are using (the bio-pellet or the GAC ones) and explain what you plan to run in each??Can you run GAC and GFO in one of the bio-pellet reactor with the addition of some foam discs?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield - amazing build thread. I spent the last 3 days rumbling through it. Job well done! Has to be one of my top 3 tanks ever.

I have two quick questions - first, how high above the water is the Spectra and how much did it raise your temp? Do you now need a chiller? Second, i saw that much of your Apex is in the basement including your DOS pump. Are you dosing all your fluids from downstairs now?

Thanks!

I run the Spectra right at 14" AWL. It raises my temp by 4 degrees F over the course of its schedule. I do not run a chiller at this time. Even when it's a little warmer in the house, the tank hasn't been heating up any faster than what the MH heats it up. I run the tank at 78 degrees and it gets up to 82 degrees by the time the lights shut off.

All of my Apex gear for the DT, aside from the DOS, is upstairs... main unit, EB8, DDR, PM2 and 1-Link. Then the Apex gear that runs the basement equipment is in the basement... DOS, PM2, 1-Link and EB4. So yes, the DOS in the basement pulls my 2-part from the DDR... which is under the tank. Then pumps it back up to the sump.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Toby.I have also been following this thread as I prepare my 525XL build. I will probably post many questions to you throughout my build, but since I am just starting to purchase equipment I only have one right now. I am looking to purchase the same AquaMaxx reactors you have, but not sure which ones you use. I plan on just plumbing 2 of these. AquaMaxx has bio-pellet reactors and fluidized GFO & Carbon reactors, but it looks like you just plumbed 2 (or 3?)of the bio-pellet reactors. Can you explain which ones you are using (the bio-pellet or the GAC ones) and explain what you plan to run in each??Can you run GAC and GFO in one of the bio-pellet reactor with the addition of some foam discs?

I use two of the standard size Fluidized Reactors for GFO and carbon when needed. I then use the standard size Bio Pellet Reactor for the bio pellets. You can use the Fluidized Reactor for bio pellets if needed. I did for several months with no real issues. Then when I changed my plumbing to the three reactor setup, I went ahead and bought the actual Bio Pellet Reactor. However, I would not use the Bio Pellet Reactor for GFO or carbon.

boozeman27

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two of the standard size Fluidized Reactors for GFO and carbon when needed. I then use the standard size Bio Pellet Reactor for the bio pellets. You can use the Fluidized Reactor for bio pellets if needed. I did for several months with no real issues. Then when I changed my plumbing to the three reactor setup, I went ahead and bought the actual Bio Pellet Reactor. However, I would not use the Bio Pellet Reactor for GFO or carbon.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I think I will have to decide whether or not I want to plumb for 2 or 3 reactors, but at least I know I need 1 bio-pellet and 1 or 2 of the GFO/GAC ones. I will start a build thread when I order the tank. In the process of finishing my basement just for the tank. Was in the hobby for about 6 years and got out of it about 10 yrs ago. Had 2 tanks (a 75g and a 40g). So far have purchased a RO/DI unit, a 65 gallon water storage tank, and a Nyos 160 skimmer. Been waiting to order the rest of the gear til after I saw how my taxes came out (which was last night and turned out not too bad, LOL) The rest of the gear will be an Reefer 525XL, Apex with Wav's and flow meters, 48"Giesemann Aurora, either an L1 or Abizz return pump, the AquaMaxx reactors, etc, etc,etc. The list is long LOl. Thanks again!!

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back