Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I'm asking so many plumbing questions....but can you tell me if you used plumbers tape with your unions and mpt fittings?

This is a list for my entire plumbing setup, from the pump to the tank bulkhead.

Colored Pipe: BRS
Schedule 80 adapters, gate/ball valves etc: PCVfittingsonline.com
Colored fittings: Aquarium Speciality and Amazon

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (4) 1" 90 degree elbows
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees
  • (9) 1/2" 90 degree elbows (may need 2 extra if you are doing the same sump as I have)

STANDARD SCHEDULE 40/80 FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves
  • (6) 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapters (for top of reactors)
  • (1) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting)

ADDITIONAL FITTINGS NEEDED IF DOING THE MAIN AND EMERGENCY DRAINS LIKE MINE ON A RED SEA REEFER
  • (2) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting) NOTE: You will need to purchase 2 additional Red Sea barbed return assemblies.
  • (1) 1" gate valve

O-RINGS NEEDED FOR ADAPTERS ON TOP OF REACTORS... YOU NEED 2 PER ADAPTER, SO 4 PER REACTOR.
  • (12) I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32"
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction

I recommend getting this kit above to keep at your house... has a ton of different sizes and is cheap. I actually have this kit and the metric version. You never know what you might need an o-ring for around the house!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I'm asking so many plumbing questions....but can you tell me if you used plumbers tape with your unions and mpt fittings?

Yes, you have to use some form of "sealant" on all threaded(MPT) joints... I use Teflon tape. I think there is a paste you can use also. Note: there's only one threaded joint in my entire setup.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unions don't required teflon tape as they use o-ring to create a seal.

Well, I assumed he was referring to if they were MPT unions and not SLIP.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jeremy Luke

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield, You have an amazing build. I'm trying to hang my Spectra. The hanging kit needs to attach to metric M6 bolts. I cannot purchase metric toggle bolts at the hardware store. How did you hang your Spectra?

pwilliaml

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Toby, a while back you switched sand to the Tropic Eden Reef flakes and said more to come. I never saw anything else on that. Any big reason for doing so other than size and blowing around? How do you like the new flakes? Would you have gone bigger if you had a chance? I have same pink arag that I hate and am thinking of replacing and considered using the Reef flakes as well, so I thought I'd get your opinion on them.

Ed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the posts above and particularly am fascinated with the mixing station as I am just starting my build. I am also from Illinois and picked up my water tanks from Farm and Fleet also. I just can't understand why you did not use orange pipe to plumb it!

Seriously though, I appreciate your degree of organization. Failure to take the time to have a logical place for everything and anticipating future equipment space can make doing anything under the aquarium very frustrating and time consuming. You have a beautiful aquarium with a great system to keep everything running like clockwork. Congratulations and I look forward to future updates.

Ed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the posts above and particularly am fascinated with the mixing station as I am just starting my build. I am also from Illinois and picked up my water tanks from Farm and Fleet also. I just can't understand why you did not use orange pipe to plumb it!

Seriously though, I appreciate your degree of organization. Failure to take the time to have a logical place for everything and anticipating future equipment space can make doing anything under the aquarium very frustrating and time consuming. You have a beautiful aquarium with a great system to keep everything running like clockwork. Congratulations and I look forward to future updates.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield, You have an amazing build. I'm trying to hang my Spectra. The hanging kit needs to attach to metric M6 bolts. I cannot purchase metric toggle bolts at the hardware store. How did you hang your Spectra?

I'm not sure which bolts you are referring to?... on the light itself or for attaching to the ceiling?

Hey Toby, a while back you switched sand to the Tropic Eden Reef flakes and said more to come. I never saw anything else on that. Any big reason for doing so other than size and blowing around? How do you like the new flakes? Would you have gone bigger if you had a chance? I have same pink arag that I hate and am thinking of replacing and considered using the Reef flakes as well, so I thought I'd get your opinion on them.

I purely did it because of the sand blowing around. I prefer the look of the Miniflakes, but the Reefflakes are very nice.

Toby what scraper are you using to clean the glass?

I'm using the 24" - 36" model: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24538

What did you conclude after using Vibrant?

It seemed like it helped in the beginning, but that's about it. I stopped using it after 2 doses.

LOL, I originally plumbed everything in schedule 80. Had I done my orange themed sump from the get go, I would of indeed done the basement plumbing in orange... it's really not that much more expensive.

sigmarabi1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud. I came across your tank pictures on Google a while back when I got my 350.
I loved your apex setup and pretty much tried to replicate in my cupboard. Here are the results in white.
I only just now came across your tank build! Absolutely love it!View attachment 338612 Amazing that you inspired me to do mine all the way down in Australia!
Hey FrootStick, I'm working on my panel similar to yours. How did you pass the cable for the Vortech drivers through the holes? I think the cables cannot be unplugged from the dry side of the pump... I'm a little puzzled :cool:

AquaCave Logo Banner

g5flier

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey FrootStick, I'm working on my panel similar to yours. How did you pass the cable for the Vortech drivers through the holes? I think the cables cannot be unplugged from the dry side of the pump... I'm a little puzzled :cool:

You can take the controller apart (remove the screws) and unplug the connector inside, then place them thru the hole and reassemble. Its really simple, just be careful to note how it all goes back together.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use any magnet cleaner to clean the glass or do you only use the hand scraper?

I only use the Kent scraper. I actually have two... one with the green pad scrubber attached and one with the stainless blade attached. I really only use the blade to get off coraline algae and down in where the sand meets the glass.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back