Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks. So you did 1" from your pump to the reactors, then down to 1/2"? I had planned to do 3/4" down to 1/2". I guess this would work. Thanks for all the information. And congrats on TOTM! I think you are setting a new standard and trend for clean builds.

I used 1" because that's what my pump and flow requirements dictated. So you will use whatever size if right for your setup.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

justingraham

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that how ur going to answer everything now?? If I won totm I would congrats and well deserved

LOL, no... I had just finished typing that up yesterday morning, so I knew the info he sought was in there.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brookfield, beautiful setup! congrats on the TOTM

quick q, i skimmed through this thread but couldnt see how you drain your tank for water changes...i read that you use gravity, but where is it connected under the tank?

The orange pipe that comes in from the right side of my cabinet, that has the ball valve on it, goes into the sump and sits about 3/8" off the bottom of the sump. It goes behind my Apex display on the right and down through the bottom of the cabinet. It then goes straight down through the floor and into my mixing station in the basement. That line is naturally primed after I fill the sump up for a water change. All I have to do is open the drain ball valve in the basement, then open the ball valve that I mentioned earlier that goes into the sump... instant syphon! It will drain the sump in minutes. Then I turn a couple of ball valves in the basement, turn on the mixing pump and the sump will fill back up with fresh saltwater in a matter of minutes.

Sump by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Toby, how do you start the siphon if it's broken? just start refilling for a min to put get the air?

hmm I see how this works now...

Correct! If for some reason there isn't water in the vertical pipe, then I can simply turn on the mixing pump for a few seconds, shut the valve before the mixing pump, then shut off the pump. I have never had that happen in 18 months though.

Jstn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read your TOTM article, congrats! It may be anecdotal but I found my acans "happiness" to be best when I dose SrCl2, red sea calcium has 1% Strontium in it, and I just mix 1% by mass into my BRS two part. I have been doing this for years and get really puffy happy acans for the most part and previously when they were not looking so hot a experienced reefer told me about how he dosed SrCl2. It may have no effect but I have not seen any problems; I plan on running ICP (triton test) at work to see if my levels are elevated or not in the near future.

atlorange

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the recommended O ring kit. Thanks. Do you have the smaller Aquamaxx fluidized media reactors (UJ5311), or the larger Biomax reactors (UJ5111)?
This is a list for my entire plumbing setup, from the pump to the tank bulkhead.

Colored Pipe: BRS
Schedule 80 adapters, gate/ball valves etc: PCVfittingsonline.com
Colored fittings: Aquarium Speciality and Amazon

PIPING
  • 1/2"
  • 1"

COLORED FITTINGS
  • (4) 1" 90 degree elbows
  • (1) 1" 45 degree elbow
  • (3) 1" tees
  • (9) 1/2" 90 degree elbows (may need 2 extra if you are doing the same sump as I have)

STANDARD SCHEDULE 40/80 FITTINGS
  • (1) 1" True Union
  • (3) 1" x 1/2" bushings
  • (3) 1/2" gate valves
  • (6) 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapters (for top of reactors)
  • (1) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting)

ADDITIONAL FITTINGS NEEDED IF DOING THE MAIN AND EMERGENCY DRAINS LIKE MINE ON A RED SEA REEFER
  • (2) 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter(for connection to Red Sea return fitting) NOTE: You will need to purchase 2 additional Red Sea barbed return assemblies.
  • (1) 1" gate valve

O-RINGS NEEDED FOR ADAPTERS ON TOP OF REACTORS... YOU NEED 2 PER ADAPTER, SO 4 PER REACTOR.
  • (12) I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32"
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction

I recommend getting this kit above to keep at your house... has a ton of different sizes and is cheap. I actually have this kit and the metric version. You never know what you might need an o-ring for around the house!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the recommended O ring kit. Thanks. Do you have the smaller Aquamaxx fluidized media reactors (UJ5311), or the larger Biomax reactors (UJ5111)?

I have both. Those two part #'s you just provided are the same exact size... the standard size. One is for traditional media(GFO/GAC etc) and the other is for bio pellets.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on TOTM! Well deserved. This is still one of my favorite tanks, from top to bottom. Lots of inspiration here for my new build, but I think you have set the bar a little too high for me. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on TOTM! Totally deserving. Also thanks for all the help over the months. You're a wealth of knowledge and it's much appreciated.
No problem, I'm happy to share what I know!

Hey Broadfield, are you still using the Oxydator? Do you just use regular 3% H2O2 in it with 2 of the catalysts? How long does it last you?

I am not using it at the moment. My tank seems to run too clean and some of my LPS were not happy. So I removed it to see if that might be part of the issue. I used 35% and made up a batch of 9% and ran just one activator. I will revisit it again once I get my LPS concerns figured out.

AS

pwilliaml

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I just got one, but it's running off 3% until my 35% bottle gets here. How do you know it's empty, does it just fill up with oxygen? I'm trying to get rid of some GHA growing in my tank for some reason. Thought I'd try H2O2 for a while and set up a GFO reactor instead of mixing GFO with my GAC. I know you had luck with it getting rid of your red slime with it. Ever heard of it working on GHA? Thanks. Congrats on Tank of the Month. Wish I had the room you have in my 250.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back