Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I'm just here for the p.............................

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stop looking at that sump.... haha It is going to create a lot of problems for me. I've looked around at some other sumps and I don't think I can spend the money on them. I may have to lean in your direction and go with the EA sump. Now my biggest problem which isn't so bad after all, I can technically fit the RS-33 in my cabinet I believe. The problem is I don't have a closet or anything I can put my ATO container in so it has to go inside the stand. So then I looked at the RS-22, that foot print would allow me to keep the ATO container in the stand. When I am ready I may need to reach out to them and get the cost of maybe a custom RS-26, the 26" lenght would leave me enough room I believe to get a ATO container made that is 7" left to right and taller to hold more water volume.

You got my wheels spinning once again, I won't be ready to make this upgrade until probably later this year. I am sure my mind will change 238746234786 times before then.

Hadn't talked to you in a few weeks, hope your 2017 has been awesome so far!

This darn hobby man, it's worse than building cars. I'm already flirting around with the idea of a different light fixture.

So why not have them incorporate an ATO chamber right into the sump!?! Do the 33, but simply have them move the drain/filter sock section over to the left and have another chamber on the right to serve as the ATO. Still have the viewing window and all. Then you could just pump it out of there and into the skimmer chamber. The sump is 15" tall, so it would hold a decent amount of water. Food for thought!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just here for the p.............................

Yeah, I know why you are here:D

I really need to take the time to get some new pics with the DSLR. I have been taking some, but only of individual corals for growth tracking purposes.... so possibly boring to most. Oh who am I kidding, reefers love looking at pictures of anything in our tanks lol. Here's one I just took of a Duncan I bought from a LFS, right before it went out of business last summer. It was a single head frag with no signs of additional heads... it's growing out nicely!

IMG_7444 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited:
AS
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost pulled the trigger on the EA RS-33 sump as well (for 450) had it in the cart and typed out notes for color choice and to flip the drain lines... but put it on hold for now. I'm spending waaaayyyy too much money right now on this build!!!

Ooooh man, you're going to love it once you pull the trigger. Tyler is great guy to deal with. @jazzmik and @pelphrey make sure you tell them Broadfield referred you!

jazzmik

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh man, you're going to love it once you pull the trigger. Tyler is great guy to deal with. @jazzmik and @pelphrey make sure you tell them Broadfield referred you!

Haha... I already told him... "flipped just like @Broadfield". But I'm doing red to match up with Vertex Omega 180i.

Problem is I saw how clean @Scaff's looked with the stock sump so I'm trying to go with it and save the cash right now. Will see how long I can hold out!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This darn hobby man, it's worse than building cars. I'm already flirting around with the idea of a different light fixture.

So why not have them incorporate an ATO chamber right into the sump!?! Do the 33, but simply have them move the drain/filter sock section over to the left and have another chamber on the right to serve as the ATO. Still have the viewing window and all. Then you could just pump it out of there and into the skimmer chamber. The sump is 15" tall, so it would hold a decent amount of water. Food for thought!

That thought crossed my mind, the only problem I have it the height. I'd have to calculate volume but I'm thinking I'd need it taller than the sump. We'll see, it's all good for thought.

What lights you got on your mind?? I'd really like to have the AP700!

How's that marine depot video coming?

Avast
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thought crossed my mind, the only problem I have it the height. I'd have to calculate volume but I'm thinking I'd need it taller than the sump. We'll see, it's all good for thought.

What lights you got on your mind?? I'd really like to have the AP700!

How's that marine depot video coming?

I'm thinking about the Giesemann Spectra.... so the same fixture I have now, but T5/halide instead of T5/LED. I have a friend that is going to be setting up a new tank and may be interested in my current fixture. If so, I would probably make the change. And it's not that I don't like it... it's quite the opposite. I like it so much that it makes me want to try some of their other product.

I'm still slowing down from Christmas, so I haven't had any time to work on the video yet.... hopefully soon.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next you will be selling your entire setup to your buddy and starting over with a 500 gallon! haha

Man, I wish... I want an 8 ft tank in a bad way. One of these days!

Corals.com

Siasl

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onto the Apex system and wiring. For this tank I wanted to get ultra organized. I don't have a need for a chiller where I live. Once it hits at least 80 in the spring here, it's humid as can be... so the air is on. So this gave me a great place to mount/display all of my Apex gear, Vortech controllers etc. I decided I would do a false panel that held the modules/controllers and then have all of the power bricks and EnergyBars behind it.

I blocked off 2/3 of the opening for a "power panel". You can also see the 3/4" schedule 80 that comes from the basement for water changes etc.

IMG_3987 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I then secured a panel up high for part of the gear and hinged a second panel below it for all of the Apex modules and controller. This can be hinged up 90 degrees to gain access to all of the cabling. Then lastly a 3rd panel to block off the bottom. My next task is to organize all of the cables behind there.

IMG_4008 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4020 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4012 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

LOVE this. Just love this.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about the Giesemann Spectra.... so the same fixture I have now, but T5/halide instead of T5/LED. I have a friend that is going to be setting up a new tank and may be interested in my current fixture. If so, I would probably make the change. And it's not that I don't like it... it's quite the opposite. I like it so much that it makes me want to try some of their other product.

I'm still slowing down from Christmas, so I haven't had any time to work on the video yet.... hopefully soon.
I would love to have the Spectra. I miss my old MH/T5 lighting that I had in the past.
My Red Sea is 42" wide.
The Spectra is made in a 24" and jumps to a 48"
How could they not make a 36" for 39 watt T5's :confused: What a bummer :(

I don't want anybody else's 36". JMO... Their canopies looks just don't cut it for my taste.

If you go with the spectra. I'll be tagging along for the ride. :)

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pic
What did you use to take that photo

Typically I use my Canon 50D with kit lens. However, I've been struggling to get the object in focus... it's always very slightly off. So I have been suspecting something was wrong or maybe needed calibrated by Canon. I decided to borrow a friend's 70D and took this quick pic using the 18-135 kit lens that comes with the 70D.... MUCH better. So I may pick up the 80D once some funds come my way.

I would love to have the Spectra. I miss my old MH/T5 lighting that I had in the past.
My Red Sea is 42" wide.
The Spectra is made in a 24" and jumps to a 48"
How could they not make a 36" for 39 watt T5's :confused: What a bummer :(

I don't want anybody else's 36". JMO... Their canopies looks just don't cut it for my taste.

If you go with the spectra. I'll be tagging along for the ride. :)

Spectra already ordered! I'm excited to say the least. You know, that really is a bummer they don't make a 36". I would almost plan the size of my tank around what sizes are available in the Giesemann fixtures.... I love them that much.

Wow your tank is simply gorgeous! Well done!

Thank you!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Spectra already ordered! I'm excited to say the least. You know, that really is a bummer they don't make a 36". I would almost plan the size of my tank around what sizes are available in the Giesemann fixtures.... I love them that much."

What MH watt package did you decide on? 250 watt or are you going to push 400 watt bulbs?

Bummer for myself :( but I'm Happy for you Broadfied :) I know it was a hard decision for you. You reef is absolutely beautiful inside and out.

If your switching gears from your awesome mods to focus more on your coral colors / overall coral heath and growth rate.

Then I guarantee that the Spectra MH/T5 wont be a disappointment.

If they made a 36" it would have been lighting my reef long ago.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Spectra already ordered! I'm excited to say the least. You know, that really is a bummer they don't make a 36". I would almost plan the size of my tank around what sizes are available in the Giesemann fixtures.... I love them that much."

What MH watt package did you decide on? 250 watt or are you going to push 400 watt bulbs?

Bummer for myself :( but I'm Happy for you Broadfied :) I know it was a hard decision for you. You reef is absolutely beautiful inside and out.

If your switching gears from your awesome mods to focus more on your coral colors / overall coral heath and growth rate.

Then I guarantee that the Spectra MH/T5 wont be a disappointment.

If they made a 36" it would have been lighting my reef long ago.

I'm going with the Luxcore 250/400 selectable ballasts.... and will run 250s for now. I'm thinking 14k bulbs with Giesemann Super Actinic T5s. I have all of the Giesemann bulbs on hand though, so I can play around with different combos. Even running 250s, it's going to be a substantial jump over the amount of PAR I'm running currently. So I'm pretty sure I'll need to raise the fixture up from where I have it now. I'm guessing I'll have to really drop the hours that I run the new setup compared to the Aurora.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back