Blenny behavior

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked this guy up yesterday. He looks healthy, but he keeps doing this weird thing that I think may be a display of aggression? Not sure. He only does it when he notices me in front of the tank. If I watch from a distance, I don’t see him doing it. It’s like he purposefully head butts rocks and other objects with either side of his head. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_1476.MOV
    22.7 MB

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the video won’t load for me but if he’s “wiping” himself on surfaces then it may be flashing due to a parasite on him. It’s recommended to quarantine new fish for at least 3-4 weeks of observation or preventative medication to ensure disease isn’t going into your display tank. If possible I would put him into a quarantine tank now and observe, and hope he didn’t have time to spread an issue to the main tank. If it is a parasite, more than likely it is already in the tank and reproducing unfortunately

OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s flashing, but I was planning on treating my tank for flukes since he’s the last fish I’m going to add for a while. It is more like he’s nose diving into a specific rock that he’s been hanging out by. He only does it when he sees me near the tank, and I also noticed he did it when another fish came near him.
the video won’t load for me but if he’s “wiping” himself on surfaces then it may be flashing due to a parasite on him. It’s recommended to quarantine new fish for at least 3-4 weeks of observation or preventative medication to ensure disease isn’t going into your display tank. If possible I would put him into a quarantine tank now and observe, and hope he didn’t have time to spread an issue to the main tank. If it is a parasite, more than likely it is already in the tank and reproducing unfortunately

OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can’t get the video to upload properly, but here’s a pic of what he’s doing. He’ll nose dive either side of his head into that same rock then he’ll spin around and stare at me. Then he’ll do it again

6E611858-F92D-4043-8ADB-C014DDFA0161.png

Last edited:

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ick or flukes to me but you cant really tell without a video or more pictures. you should try posting it on YouTube, and then set it as unlisted afterwards.

OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ick or flukes to me but you cant really tell without a video or more pictures. you should try posting it on YouTube, and then set it as unlisted afterwards.
Yeah, I’m going to treat for flukes tomorrow. I think that’s what it is now that I’ve had a day to monitor him properly, but he also has some black specks all over his sides that aren’t raised, but they’re beneath the skin. I think it may be black spot ich. Prazi should knock that out too, I’d hope

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back