Best Hurricane Backup Solution?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ Maybe I was using Wishful Thinking Math.
So back to the Black Friday sale LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The servomaster also has a setting in the app to adjust the charging power. Haven’t tested but seems like I can dial back the input wattage
2E6355DA-2748-401E-B891-2F02890A7895.png
Do I need to use the app? Mine just came today. I plan to only use it during hurricanes

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Honestly I don’t see any reason for the app. After exploring around I see two main app functions

1) remote control / monitoring - you can see the input and output status of the device from the app or the screen on the front of the unit

2) controlling what appears to be the charging speed. It takes 800w to charge it for approximately 1-1.5 hours max. If other things on that circuit are 800w combined then you exceed a 15a circuit capacity. So you can dial back the charge speed in the app if you need to

My whole reef is less than 500w so I’m leaving it at max charge speed

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural gas is pretty rare in Florida. I wish we had it. The HOAs here also prevent permanent outside generators in a lot of places. My HOA allows them, but not the burried propane tank I would need for it to make sense. I’d like to get solar eventually but the install costs are too high right now to make financial sense.
I have a Kohler standby generator that will run my house for 3 days on two upright propane tanks that your HOA might allow. My propane company operates when there is no power for refills, although in a florida hurricane with impassable roads that could be a concern. $12k installed.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Kohler standby generator that will run my house for 3 days on two upright propane tanks that your HOA might allow. My propane company operates when there is no power for refills, although in a florida hurricane with impassable roads that could be a concern. $12k installed.
Curious Are the propane tanks dedicated for the generator? How much does it cost to fill them ?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2000 Champion Inverter I can run a fridge and a freezer and 3 tanks on it. It can take one tank of gas for 10 hours so appreciate. little over 1 gallon of fuel.

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest bridging over into the world of rv battery generator or battery bank. Much larger ment to run an rv for several hours. Should run an aquarium for a a couple days.

I have a gas generator but we don't deal with hurricanes I can get out to start it. But it's made for rvs but I can run my house for a short while if need be. At least essentials like fridge, window ac, and such

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious Are the propane tanks dedicated for the generator? How much does it cost to fill them ?
Yes, we have a separate one on the other side of the house for cooking. I went with the two smaller tanks instead of buying a big one as the propane company installed them for free. Sorry, I don't recall how much they cost to fill.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back