ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering 2x 102 pros instead of 2x xr30 with a bar for my 48”x24”x24” tank. I have a canopy with an open top as seen in my pic. I’m trying to figure out a good way to mount these. My idea is to secure a 48” aluminum rod across the top of my canopy and then slip then slip the rod through the triangle shaped part of the hanging wire that’s attached to the Stratons. Think this would work? How about if I used 1/4” rod instead of 1/2” do you think it would sag?
IMG_3308.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3310.png

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering 2x 102 pros instead of 2x xr30 with a bar for my 48”x24”x24” tank. I have a canopy with an open top as seen in my pic. I’m trying to figure out a good way to mount these. My idea is to secure a 48” aluminum rod across the top of my canopy and then slip then slip the rod through the triangle shaped part of the hanging wire that’s attached to the Stratons. Think this would work? How about if I used 1/4” rod instead of 1/2” do you think it would sag?
IMG_3308.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3310.png

Ry, a round shaft is a poor choice for this, better to use a small extrusion with a profile. Even the 1/2" aluminum shaft will bow over an inch over the 48" causign the lights to slide into each other. That is a quick calculation using 16lbs mass in the middle of the rod (not perfect but close).

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ry, a round shaft is a poor choice for this, better to use a small extrusion with a profile. Even the 1/2" aluminum shaft will bow over an inch over the 48" causign the lights to slide into each other. That is a quick calculation using 16lbs mass in the middle of the rod (not perfect but close).
Thank you. The canopy opening is probably more like 36”, but would still probably bow and slide. I’ll look into how to mount to an extrusion or maybe just go Radions to keep it simple.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3308.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3310.png
I use the Radion bar.

1728502307726.jpeg

1728502363265.jpeg

1728502398572.jpeg

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Radion bar.

1728502307726.jpeg

1728502363265.jpeg

1728502398572.jpeg
Do you think it would be fine to put the RMS Radion bar through the metal hanging loop coming out of the Stratons and let it hang on the bar that way?
IMG_3312.jpeg

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would be fine to put the RMS Radion bar through the metal hanging loop coming out of the Stratons and let it hang on the bar that way?
Well, that’s basically how it’s hanging on mine. I have it pretty tight, so the cables cut into the metal a bit, but you can cushion the wire if you care about not putting divots into your bar. My hanging kit only acts as a stop and doesn’t really secure the lights at all. It looks like you’ll basically have stops that secure the bar on top of your canopy anyways.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 2 separate bars running front to back? That way you could use a smaller diameter rod and could remove one at a time for any kind of maintenance etc.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 2 separate bars running front to back? That way you could use a smaller diameter rod and could remove one at a time for any kind of maintenance etc.
That’s a good idea too and would cost a lot less than the RMS. However, I’m planning on using the rectangular Straton Pros, not the bigger square shaped and I “think” I want the long side of the Straton running with the long side of the tank, not front to back.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered that wouldn’t work anyway, even with square shaped lights, because the front of the canopy is an piano hinge that opens straight up and flips over to the back side

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s basically how it’s hanging on mine. I have it pretty tight, so the cables cut into the metal a bit, but you can cushion the wire if you care about not putting divots into your bar. My hanging kit only acts as a stop and doesn’t really secure the lights at all. It looks like you’ll basically have stops that secure the bar on top of your canopy anyways.
Oh yeah, I see now that’s how you basically have it. I didn’t notice that properly yesterday. I think for my application I would want to flip the RMS bar over on the other side. Then it would sit better with the flat part laying on top of my canopy and also the wire probably wouldn’t cut into the rounded part of the RMS bar as much.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back