Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as with humans, antibiotics are greatly overused in the fish hobby. Used for bacterial infections, injuries, or preventative with signs of rips fins and such; you need to carefully consider if it is necessary. 1st off it needs to be administered in a hospital tank, no porous material. If you under dose you can creat a situation where the bacteria becomes resistant and causes a more severe problem. If you overdose it could mean death during treatment or internal organ damage to fail shortly afterwards. Even if dosed properly and successful, fish of the Scorpaenidae usually get liver damage which causes failure and death within several months to a year. Here is a pic of a the liver of a lion about one year after antibiotic treatment, it's pretty classic. Obviously there are variables so depending on the individual, specific treatment used, duration and concentration; the severity of damage and life span will be individual.

1671991398765.png

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have your attention, lets get into the assessment, do I need antibiotics. There are going to be severe cases, life or death as it were, where you must choose to use antibiotics. Sadly at this points it is likely already too late, but you have to try. If by miracle they pull through, they usually die shortly afterwards. While I'm sure some long term success has occurred, I've just not seen it.

Some common issues and injuries which are commonplace with lions, but don't necessarily need antibiotics. Lions and scorps will shed their outermost layer and cloudy eyes can sometimes happen. This can be a normal function and will resolve within a few days, no action is required other than good water quality. Some overreact and dose antibiotics, a bad move. Sore on their lips, usually caused from rubbing in the bag during transport, again, good water quality and a good diet, this will remedy itself. Cuts, scrapes, torn fins; usually caused by rough treatment; if superficial, nothing to worry about. Broken spikes usually nothing to worry about; but a wound at the base, very concerning. All of these injuries will usually resolve themselves with good water quality and a good diet.

While most of these fish will initially need live food, another argument for live food, is to rebuild their immune system. If in good water quality and fed a live diet of ghost shrimp and appropriate sized guppies/mollies; there will be no need for antibiotics. Previous poor conditions and poor diet will lead to a more serious problem, and most bacterial infections turn bad when the conditions are poor.

Head to head, I've never seen the use of antibiotics in a non life threatening condition be more successful than good water conditions and a live diet. The use of antibiotics is a delicate operation, and frankly, most hobbyist will likely fail. People use it in tanks with porous material and underdose, which presents a more deadly situation. As I stated earlier, an overdose or repeated treatment will almost assuredly cause a premature death. With that being said there is obviously a time to use antibiotics, but it is a case by case situation, and needs serious consideration. To repeat; most times people overuse antibiotics in fish, just as do with themselves.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EELS To add to this discussion, most of my findings about lions will usually always relate to eels. Accessing the use of antibiotics in eels would be the same, and actually eels are more resilient. Eye injuries can occur after initial introduction, especially in smaller tanks, they can bump into rocks easily. When preparing an eel tank, make sure to grind off or position any sharp or pointed edges safely. People may also house nipping fish or pinching inverts which can also cause injury. If these injuries compound then you will find yourself in a position to need antibiotics. If you spot these injuries 1st you must remedy the cause; open up the rock, re-access the tank size, separate the eel from the species causing injury. Taking immediate action to remedy the cause, provide optimum water quality, and provide a fresh nutrient rich, varied diet.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back