Valonia, throwing in the towel, time for the nuclear option, but which red button?

Deltec

ElementReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a solid plan. The effect on algae was not noticeable until ~1 week, so while you certainly could ramp up the dose however you think is best for your tank, you may not see anything happen for a while regardless of dose level.

Fluconazole in animals has an acute LD50 of around 1200 mg/kg. That’s the dose needed to kill 50% of test subjects with one dose. For perspective, that would be a grown man taking about 80,000 mg. The normal dose in humans is up to 400mg a day.

With the caveat that you treat at your own risk, and my info is not professional medical or veterinary advice, fluconazole in animals is a relatively safe drug.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Shufflepig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your thread. I used Fluconazole at 80mg/gal in a 120 gallon system with severe bubble algae outbreak. My observations:
1) No effect on any of the fish in the tank
2) No effect on CUC (snails, hermit crabs)
3) No effect on soft corals or LPS
4) Only SPS effected were 2 montipora which lost their base color but did not die. Several acropora were not effected.
5) Bubble algae began to turn clear and die in about 7 days. 80% of bubble algae died. The bubble algae that lived tended to be in lower light areas. Took about 4 weeks to reach maximum die off.
I never repeated the dose which I believe I should’ve. Over 6 months the bubble algae slowly returned to problem levels.
Will probably try the Fluconazole again but repeat the dose in 4-5 weeks. Been reading about people having success with Brightwells Razor on bubble algae ad well but nobody seems to know what razor actually is.

Nutramar Foods
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back