Are AI Primes sufficient enough for SPS?

One Person

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Pretty new to reefing but I feel stable and ready to dive into SPS. I started with birdsnest, montipora caps and digitatas. Most frags are still new (under a month) so they’re looking ok. However my oldest montipora is starting to turn brown and one of my birdsnest frags are starting to turn white (but still showing polyps). I feel that it is not getting enough light. I know a par meter can simply solve this question but I don’t have access to one and it’s a little costly for me at the moment.

I have a 48” tank that’s about 22” deep. I have 2 AI Primes running pretty intensely about 8” from water level. I’m wondering if anyone has had success with SPS maybe even Acros using AI Primes? And can possibly critique my lighting schedule or give other advice? I tried to mount my SPS high and directly under the beam of light but I think I’m maxed out of potential PAR from here. The goal is to upgrade lights in the future but it’s out of budget for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
IMG_5664.png
IMG_5623.jpeg IMG_5616.jpeg IMG_5596.jpeg IMG_5581.jpeg
What are the actual dimesions of your tank?
I run two 16 HD Primes on my 36 gal. (32"W x 24"tall x 28" front-to-back).
I was tunning with only 1 at 1st, but found that I did get enough spread nor PAR.
I've had success with SPS, but haven't acquired any acros just yet.

I do have a question. Have you only adjusted your intensity, or have you also look at your spectrum (K) settings as well. Acros like the 10,000K spectrum, while most other corals lean toward the 12,000K range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the actual dimesions of your tank?
I run two 16 HD Primes on my 36 gal. (32"W x 24"tall x 28" front-to-back).
I was tunning with only 1 at 1st, but found that I did get enough spread nor PAR.
I've had success with SPS, but haven't acquired any acros just yet.

I do have a question. Have you only adjusted your intensity, or have you also look at your spectrum (K) settings as well. Acros like the 10,000K spectrum, while most other corals lean toward the 12,000K range.
I am 47x20x18. Attached is my scheduled. I’ve maxed out spectrum and intensity. I do still have whites to work with but I prefer a more blue look lol. Might have to deal with white for now to keep corals alive

Attachments

• IMG_5664.png
    IMG_5664.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 28

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never maxed it to 100 because this is more than sufficient but I have cranked it and can easily get 500+ on that top left shelf with the bonsai, with room to spare

This is their par map over a 48” tank

As an extra bonus with the photon, the light comes with both the tank mount legs (shown in my pic) and the hanging kit included in the price
0068212D-04E3-4816-BEFB-6C32A89E74BE.png
I know this is a late reply on the thread. Where do I find more diagrams like this with different lights? This is extremely helpful for a beginner like myself to actually visualize it to make a decision on lighting. Currently in the same dilemma as OP was/is.

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd probably put 3 of them over a 4 foot tank and they are great lights. Especially for SPS and a deep tank, I would want higher PAR unless you keep your rockwork very high in the water column and mount SPS to it. Those lights look beautiful in person.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know this is a late reply on the thread. Where do I find more diagrams like this with different lights? This is extremely helpful for a beginner like myself to actually visualize it to make a decision on lighting. Currently in the same dilemma as OP was/is.
This particular style is unique to reefbreeders, they have been doing it this way as long as I can remember

Other companies will give an overhead type view with circles and show what par is estimated to be as you go from center to the outskirts of the lights capabilities

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back