Are AI Primes sufficient enough for SPS?

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean sure, but there other lights out there as well. Look around.

Honestly, you're talking monti cap and a birdsnest, these are pretty forgiving.

Don't rush out and buy something else you won't be happy with and have to replace later just because you're trying to get light two to two corals that one could grow in the back of their toilet.
True true thank you. I just didn’t want to let them down lol

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess this is why it’s reccomended to do proper research before investing in this hobby lol. Only reason I went with 2 AI Primes is because my tank is from WaterBox and they had 2 Primes in their tank package. Guess they don’t know anything either
The two AI prime lights will would be fine for a shallower, shorter tank that was exclusively growing low light corals.
They have their uses. I use them on my show tanks.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even two would likely be cheaper than running Blades and Radions though, yeah? Seems more efficient dollar to PAR to spread wise.

Alternatively he could reuse his AI Primes on either side of the AP9X if he went that route to generate more hotspots for SPS

Unless the AP9X dropped in price they are almost the same cost as an XR30. I'm not in the market for lights so something could have changed but they used to be around the same price.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Pretty new to reefing but I feel stable and ready to dive into SPS. I started with birdsnest, montipora caps and digitatas. Most frags are still new (under a month) so they’re looking ok. However my oldest montipora is starting to turn brown and one of my birdsnest frags are starting to turn white (but still showing polyps). I feel that it is not getting enough light. I know a par meter can simply solve this question but I don’t have access to one and it’s a little costly for me at the moment.

I have a 48” tank that’s about 22” deep. I have 2 AI Primes running pretty intensely about 8” from water level. I’m wondering if anyone has had success with SPS maybe even Acros using AI Primes? And can possibly critique my lighting schedule or give other advice? I tried to mount my SPS high and directly under the beam of light but I think I’m maxed out of potential PAR from here. The goal is to upgrade lights in the future but it’s out of budget for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
IMG_5664.png
IMG_5623.jpeg IMG_5616.jpeg IMG_5596.jpeg IMG_5581.jpeg
Short answer is no.

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looked up the AP9X. Call me crazy but I’d rather spend a little extra for Radions purely for aesthetic reasons.

Ironic_Water

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the AP9X dropped in price they are almost the same cost as an XR30. I'm not in the market for lights so something could have changed but they used to be around the same price.
Does the XR30's have good diffusion? Where I'm from (Canada) the AP9X is a few hundred cheaper and has good spread. If the XR30 has good spread, would they even need Blades?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looked up the AP9X. Call me crazy but I’d rather spend a little extra for Radions purely for aesthetic reasons.
Two Xr15 is not enough. Two xr30 would do it

I highly recommend you look into reefbreeders…a single photon 48 would light that tank and you can keep anything in it

You can get them reconditioned to brand new shape from reefbreeders with 1, 2, or 3 yr warranty

It’s one fixture, slimline and only 1” thick, it will cover the entire tank front to back, and has fully adjustable spectrum and control

This is my tank under one
2BD04A59-5D8A-4ADA-B36F-E7DA93E881F2.jpeg

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Hydra 26 on a 36” tank and at 80% my par is 50 on the beach and about 200 3/4 up, which is as high as I can put any sticks as my water level gets close to that during a WC. But my montis and euphillia love that 150-200 range so I’m ok with that.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the XR30's have good diffusion? Where I'm from (Canada) the AP9X is a few hundred cheaper and has good spread. If the XR30 has good spread, would they even need Blades?

I believe the poster said he would add blades to XR15s not XR30s.

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I was to get XR30’s I probably wouldn’t get blades. Seems like overkill at that point

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two Xr15 is not enough. Two xr30 would do it

I highly recommend you look into reefbreeders…a single photon 48 would light that tank and you can keep anything in it

You can get them reconditioned to brand new shape from reefbreeders with 1, 2, or 3 yr warranty

It’s one fixture, slimline and only 1” thick, it will cover the entire tank front to back, and has fully adjustable spectrum and control

This is my tank under one
2BD04A59-5D8A-4ADA-B36F-E7DA93E881F2.jpeg
Wow! One light to cover entire tank for half the price! What’s maximum PAR you’ve reached with it?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly my dream lighting setup is 2 XR30’s or 2XR15’s and 2AI Blades. I know what I need. It was just a matter of seeing if I can keep these guys alive while I recover my bank account from the new tank spending

What about adding blades with the primes? That should be enough.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back