Aquarium housekeepers: What are your thoughts on snails in your reef tank?

BRS

What are your thoughts on snails in your reef tank?

• I like snails in my reef tank

Votes: 419 88.0%
  • Snails can be good or bad

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • I avoid snails in my reef tank

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquarium housekeepers: What are your thoughts on snails in your reef tank?

Sometimes they are hitchhikers and sometimes that are desirable clean-up crew that you added. When not occasionally creating havoc, they can be very effective aquarium housekeepers. What are your thoughts on snails in your reef tank? Do you have any horror stories to share? How about a particularly interesting snail that has lived in your tank? Are you partial to any specific species or types of snails? Do you follow the recommended types and numbers of snails when ordering or replenishing your cleanup crew? Please share any tips or recommendations in the discussion thread.

WWC_Snail.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

If you want to find out more information on snails, please check out this R2R article on the best in shell snails for the reef aquarium.

hunterallen40

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think snails are useful, and personally like them... My wife, however, CANNOT STAND them. She tolerates them because of their utility, but would definitely prefer not to have them (nudis / sea hares are strictly forbidden).

She like our conch, though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have very good luck with snails and still surprised my harlequin tusk hasnt eaten any

1681316352752.png

Koigula

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had snails long term and they bred in sump.

Anecdotally when I switch to Kalk the longevity of the snails decrease. It may be lower nutrients or may be pH sensitivity. It is just something I live with as SPS are doing fantastic in current phase as I carefully maintain system and make few changes.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always bought 'some' snails a couple of times a year to keep some in my tanks. When I set up the new 750g back in the fall after about 6 weeks there was an abundance of hard brown algae on the pretty clear bottom of the bare bottom tank. I went out and purchased an assortment of snails - 280 of them. I dumped them onto the left side of the tank and was thrilled to watch how over the next week cleanliness just spread across the bottom of the tank.

Why they can't keep the sides as clean as the bottom is just a bummer.

I also put them in my outdoor frag tanks - But in the outdoor tanks they just love to climb out and try to escape into the yard. Lots and lots of them.

Dave B

rsumner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails are definitely my favorite. I have them in my display for general cleanup and in the refugium to keep hair algae at bay. Unlike Cerith and Nassarius snails, the Trochus stay in my tank so I don't wake up in the morning to them being all over the floor. I would love them even more if I could keep the babies away from my pumps, but as soon as they spawn, that's nearly impossible.

The Dwarf Cerith is a good addition too. They rarely have enough power to push themselves completely over the lip of your tank, so you won't lose them all over the floor. They are cheap and super small so they're able to get in places other larger snails cant.

kribbz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love most snails. Turbos are the ones I have a love/hate relationship with. They are awesome grazers and eat up stubborn algae, however they ALWAYS break sps frags off of the rocks before they have a chance to get rooted into the rock. That frustrates the crap out of me!

merkmerk73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails are definitely my favorite. I have them in my display for general cleanup and in the refugium to keep hair algae at bay. Unlike Cerith and Nassarius snails, the Trochus stay in my tank so I don't wake up in the morning to them being all over the floor. I would love them even more if I could keep the babies away from my pumps, but as soon as they spawn, that's nearly impossible.

The Dwarf Cerith is a good addition too. They rarely have enough power to push themselves completely over the lip of your tank, so you won't lose them all over the floor. They are cheap and super small so they're able to get in places other larger snails cant.
Trochus are S tier
Pretty, clean glass, reef safe

Gold ring cowries are underrated and amazing as well

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back