What Are Your Thoughts On UV Sterilizers?

BRS

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are not required to maintain a healthy reef environment. However, when certain situations arise on an individuals tank they may be a usefull tool to have in the box. I have never used one personally

Last edited:
BRS
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He said he observed plenty of UV to clarify the water... Drawing a conclusion = making stuff up as we go.

My comment stands.
You are twisting his words…

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, your words were pretty clear, as were mine, as were his. Back to the subject, shall we?
Now this all make sense… You read into things they way you want to see them.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His statement was (no pun) crystal clear. Your the guy seeing things you want to see.

Let’s move on. This Is a completely pointless tangent.
Where in his statement does he say “scientific”?

Nutramar Foods

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are not required to maintain a healthy reef environment. However, when certain situations arise an an individuals tank they may be a usefull tool to have in the box. I have never used one personally
That is a fair assessment (A useful tool for some situations). There are a lot of variables, but most of the comments above regarding use for algal/bacterial blooms is good. In most cases and according to most research the do very little for parasites/disease.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in his statement does he say “scientific”?
You have a serious contextual reading issue. I used the word scientific in a mildly sarcastic manner to point out that his observation and loose correlation were not scientific. Good grief, please go pick a pointless fight with somebody else.

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His statement was (no pun) crystal clear. Your the guy seeing things you want to see.

Let’s move on. This Is a completely pointless tangent.
If it’s a pointless tangent, why did you start it up?
He simply stated an observation that he thought would contribute to the discussion. No need to harsh him for it.
I’ve gotten sunburned when scuba diving at shallow depths before. So I know for a fact that UV passes through the water. Could this have a clarifying effect on the water? I don’t know. But it’s any interesting thought.

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. I should also add that water intrusion happens in the UV sterilizers.. causing shorted out bulbs... and the ballasts on these things tend to fail. So... they can be a pain to run and a bit expensive to maintain.

If problems with cloudy water or bacterial blooms occur, the UV sterilizer is very helpful and can clear a bloom overnight - my anecdotes over a handful of experiences - uncontrolled against trying other solutions or just being more patient.

I don't think I would ever twist someone's arm to run UV who has a good tank going without one.

BRS
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He simply stated an observation that he thought would contribute to the discussion. No need to harsh him for it.
I’ve gotten sunburned when scuba diving at shallow depths before. So I know for a fact that UV passes through the water. Could this have a clarifying effect on the water? I don’t know. But it’s any interesting thought.
I really appreciate your comments! Very well said!!!

Thank you!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a serious contextual reading issue. I used the word scientific in a mildly sarcastic manner to point out that his observation and loose correlation were not scientific. Good grief, please go pick a pointless fight with somebody else.
Again with your condescending comments!

I won’t respond to you again but hope you will note that this thread was asking for people’s thoughts on UV sterilizers. You are the one that denigrated someone’s opinion!

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pointless part is Peter obsessing about arguIng about my comment, not the comment Itself. My point still stands.

The depth at which different wavelengths penetrates, and to what intensity is available. Yes, you can get sunburn at shallow depth (a few meters).

As for clarifying water? Sure, the entire ocean has a massive surface area exposed to sunlight. At the same time the volume of the oceans is massive as well. Trying to correlate that to UV in an aquarium is beyond a stretch. Reasonable hypothesis? Sure, any hypothesis is reasonable. It is testing it and proving it that must be done before any correlation can happen.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opinion, but its not the 'popular' one on this topic and I'll just be attacked by others.
No judgement here! Just looking for honest opinions.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again with your condescending comments!
I was not being condescending, I was being honest. You nitpicked my comment and missed the context of both his post and my response. I clarified, and you missed again (two more times).

I won’t respond to you again but hope you will note that this thread was asking for people’s thoughts on UV sterilizers. You are the one that denigrated someone’s opinion!
My response was meant to be pointed, not personal. The point was that we can’t just make stuff up as we go, even if it sounds reasonable.

Nutramar Foods

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people with several tanks that are maintained the same, fed the same, similar animals….and yet one will run smooth and the other is a challenge.
Personally I thing the need for a UV filter depends on the individual tank and it’s condition.
And as with any tool, the size and method of implementation is key.
My UV really helped me quickly decimate dinos. In the past it helped with algae. But those problems arose by me letting something get out of whack. So the UV was a great tool to help restore good conditions to my tank.
As for running it all the time….depends on the tank. Some need that, probably most don’t.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back