Ammonia as route cause to all nuisance in the hobby.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the contributers of this tread for sharing you knowledge.
My question is : In order to fight/avoid nuisance algeas, should the focus be on reducing Ammonia or Nitrate ?
Correct me if I'm wong, but I would expect the answer to be "both" since nuisance algeas are able to utilize N from both , but reducing ammonia increase nitrate.

The focus should be on ammonia, most nuisance algaes will struggle to break down nitrates. If algae is already established you need to look at ways to redirect ammonia to beneficial organisms through competition, that will include bacteria, coral and algae.
A commonly used methods is increasing the intensity of the light in the Refugium vs the light on the DT allowing the Refugium algaes to outcompete the DT algae.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for wet dry revivals. With the advent of carbon dosing then the original fear of them being nitrate factories no longer exist. Why bother with mechanical removal of skimmate. Just let nature do it's thing
My plastic media floats on top of my sump in a large mesh bag. I pump low CO2 air in through a skimmer pump underneath. This air percolates up through the media. This effectively fractionates the skimmable portion and delivers it to the floating media for digestion. For the first week or 10 days there's a small foam head visible in the sump, then nothing, as my evidence of effectiveness. I call it an upside down trickle filter, lol.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plastic media floats on top of my sump in a large mesh bag. I pump low CO2 air in through a skimmer pump underneath. This air percolates up through the media. This effectively fractionates the skimmable portion and delivers it to the floating media for digestion. For the first week or 10 days there's a small foam head visible in the sump, then nothing, as my evidence of effectiveness. I call it an upside down trickle filter, lol.
Similar to a pond filter as far as the floating media?

If feeding the skimmate for decomposition then why bother skimming? That’s why I stopped using skimmers. Unless using strictly for enhanced gas exchange. That’s something I’ve considered yet not sure that actually makes a difference. Seems to be a lot of anecdotal data but I’m sure there’s been test snd I’ve just not found them.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is a lot more complicated than just ammonia and nitrates which are different forms of Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen (DIN). All the organisms in our systems are also dealing with Dissolved Organic Nitrogen (DON) and Particulate Organic Nitrogen (PON). And since DOC (aka carbon dosing) has been mentioned how it affects the many microbiomes in our system adds probably several more orders of complexity.

Here's a data bomb for those interested in looking at the research. For those who don't want to go down the various rabbit holes what I've learned in 4 decades of keeping reefs systems is do your water changes, use urchins and herbivorus hermits and manual removal for any nuisance algae and keep an eye on alkalinity, calcium and magnesium and adjust what is being fed and done for the growth seen.

Nitrogen Stuff​

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Ammonium Uptake by Symbiotic and Aposymbiotic Reef Corals

Amino acids a source of nitrogen for corals

Urea a source of nitrogen for corals

Diazotrpophs a source of nitrogen for corals

Context Dependant Effects of Nutrient Loading on the Coral-Algal Mutualism

Nutrient transfer in a marine mutualism: patterns of ammonia excretion by anemonefish and uptake by giant sea anemones

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Prevalence of potential nitrogen-fixing, green sulfur bacteria in the skeleton of reef-building coral Isopora palifera

Functional significance of dinitrogen fixation in sustaining coral productivity under oligotrophic conditions
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26511052/

Sponge Loop Conserves resources in Coral Reefs (recycles C and N)

Carbon Stuff​

DOC can be roughly seperated into three catagories, Labile, Semirefractory and Refractory. Most of the following papaers are looking mainly at Labile DOC. This will raise the hackles on some reefers but keep in mind Labile DOC and Carbon Dosing are synonamous. Jasper deGeoij's work shows cryptic sponges remove labile DOC about a thousand times faster than bacterioplankton. Included are links to some of the research showing what cryptic sponges are doing as well. ROhwer's book and video are excellent introductions to the subject of DOC and microbeial processses.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Global microbialization of coral reefs (Rohwer's DDAM Theory Proven)

long-term stony coral survival in the Coral Reef Exhibit at Reef HQ Aquarium, Townsville, Australia with an ATS was measured in days, not years. (See figure 3) (This page may have been removed, I can send you a copy of the .PDF if you're interested)

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
DOC caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs
DDAM Proven

Coral Reef Microorganisms in a Changing Climate, Fig 3

Ecosystem Microbiology of Coral Reefs: Linking Genomic, Metabolomic, and Biogeochemical Dynamics from Animal Symbioses to Reefscape Processes

Sponge Stuff​

BActeria and Sponges

lement cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponge finding some species process labile DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.
NO offense - what what the point - you posted perhaps 50 pages of reading - can you perhaps condense your thoughts? Its kind of like saying 'google the answer' - and than the poster has to read 50 articles?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO offense - what what the point - you posted perhaps 50 pages of reading - can you perhaps condense your thoughts? Its kind of like saying 'google the answer' - and than the poster has to read 50 articles?
It’s hard to understand what’s he’s thought, he mentioned DIN and PON that are just ammonia sources although he doesn’t elaborate on it.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus should be on ammonia, most nuisance algaes will struggle to break down nitrates. If algae is already established you need to look at ways to redirect ammonia to beneficial organisms through competition, that will include bacteria, coral and algae.
A commonly used methods is increasing the intensity of the light in the Refugium vs the light on the DT allowing the Refugium algaes to outcompete the DT algae.
This would explain why a fuge IS able to out compete algae. It makes more sense now. And the same true in freshwater planted systems. You can have vibrant plants or corals (which depend on N) while having little to no algae (which is somehow unable to utilize N if there is sufficient plant or coral growth), so long as the desirable organisms have the edge on AMMONIA. In freshwater, CO2 for example gives an edge. In saltwater, I guess it is the carbohydrates that create this edge? Or perhaps other things. This thread is very interesting.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would explain why a fuge IS able to out compete algae. It makes more sense now. And the same true in freshwater planted systems. You can have vibrant plants or corals (which depend on N) while having little to no algae (which is somehow unable to utilize N if there is sufficient plant or coral growth), so long as the desirable organisms have the edge on AMMONIA. In freshwater, CO2 for example gives an edge. In saltwater, I guess it is the carbohydrates that create this edge? Or perhaps other things. This thread is very interesting.
I’ve seen no evidence fuges can outcompete display algae in nearly 20 years.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my thought that perhaps flow plays a roll in mitigation. I think within our tanks are "micro zones" (made that up) where doc can build up and if not dispersed (dispensed?) promote nuisance algae if present. I have coral skeleton with cup like indents and even tho it's in the main flow path in my tank the flow doesn't penetrate these cups and they collect what I think is cyano. I can picture a stream going over but not into these micro zones.. I feel like the build up within is why yhe cups fill w nuisance (not solely, along with a few other factors) . In my mind at least from my observations... Gonna remove the rock soon

Top Shelf Aquatics

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not see evidence that ammonia levels are a predictor of algae issues,

Folks dosing ammonia have not reported issues that I remember, but dosing it doesn’t necessarily mean steady state concentrations are appreciably higher compared to dosing nitrate or amino acids.

Just my experience but I dosed ammonia in my system for quite a while with positive results, although my system was a bit odd that it had sps in display and a 150g basement sump/Refugium with clams for fun. No algae or other problems.

it may have works too well as I ended up donating the clams to the local zoo, the uptake demand was getting out of control!
41ABDAF3-ACA5-4340-BFCA-627389E02264.jpeg
67683B0F-ACBB-4FC0-87A8-71099EF66995.png
2D27D79B-7CDE-4D48-AA03-EFD181FDA6DA.jpeg
83533EBA-4390-4E9C-A5AF-2BF79F0FC928.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About dosing ammonia - it could be a question of type of tank. Newly started with a low biomass of corals - promote algae because of the algae's higher grow rate - in a tank heavily populated of corals - promote corals because the total daily growth of corals is higher than the total growth of the algae - only my 2 cents

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In saltwater carbohydrates are added daily with feeding, some foods are higher than others in this nutrient, they help maintain a balance within the beneficial bacteria that can use them to grow and divide. In our hobby we often use this source of organic carbon and others to aid the beneficial bacteria at reducing nutrients, nitrates is not the only nutrients that they oxidise for example some heterotrophic bacteria will employ enzymes, or proteins that help them break down different nutrients to a useable form for energy, Through this process of breaking down and utilising nutrients for energy, bacteria also produce many byproducts, these byproducts include gases, such as hydrogen and methane, vitamins such as K and the B-group (a source that we rely on) and metabolites such as short chain fatty acids some of this byproduct can be beneficial to other organisms in the system.

other aspect is during GHA blooms folks often assume that the algae is using all the nitrates and phosphates in the system, as this may be correct for phosphates the same won’t happen for nitrates, if all ammonia is being used for algae growth this will reflect on nitrates, the beneficial bacteria can’t complete the nitrogen cycle if ammonia is being limited by the same.
That’s why is always a good practice to aid the beneficial bacteria by increasing nitrates with potassium nitrate or calcium nitrate in those situations never potassium nitrate as it will rise potassium and never a product that contains ammonia or urea as it will just feed the nuisance further. Often we se folks using products that contain those to try and raise nitrates in the presence of nuisance without ever seeing nitrates rising with the recommended dose.
The same can happen with trying to overfeed to try and raise nutrients, it can become a problem as algae and other nuisances will assimilate ammonia before bacteria can use it to complete the nitrogen cycle, usually ending up with high phosphates as they only require a small amount to grow.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen no evidence fuges can outcompete display algae in nearly 20 years.
Some algae’s can use ammonia more efficiently than others, I believe folks on the triton method are encouraged in using different species as this is one of the benefits of a algae bed.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience but I dosed ammonia in my system for quite a while with positive results, although my system was a bit odd that it had sps in display and a 150g basement sump/Refugium with clams for fun. No algae or other problems.

it may have works too well as I ended up donating the clams to the local zoo, the uptake demand was getting out of control!View attachment 2930507View attachment 2930508View attachment 2930509View attachment 2930510
Ammonia is highly desirable by many photosynthetic organisms and coral is no different, I would advocate ammonia dosing to aid the growth of coral although I wouldn’t encourage it during the maturing process of a system. Ammonia is only a issue if nuisances are established in the system to start with. This is due the nuisance algae having the exact same nutrients requirement as all photosynthetic coral, the main difference is that algae can grow faster than coral as we know and use the ammonia more efficiently.

Id like to point out that your rockwork and other surfaces in your system are full of algae this happens with many mature systems we often don’t bring it up, but many systems are considered mature once they develop coraline algae that in its turn will also benefit from ammonia and compete with other less desirable algaes for the same nutrient and space and without having other nuisances to compete with them often folks with fairly mature systems consider them as a problem due to the rapid growth achieved by not having less competition.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About dosing ammonia - it could be a question of type of tank. Newly started with a low biomass of corals - promote algae because of the algae's higher grow rate - in a tank heavily populated of corals - promote corals because the total daily growth of corals is higher than the total growth of the algae - only my 2 cents

Sincerely Lasse
I couldn’t have said it better :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just one of those things everybody says?
Here’s a few quick pics of my tank from today. If I had a fuge I could claim it’s algae free status is due to competition from the algae in the fuge, and without a doubt it would be believed. However, I grow nothing photosynthetic in my sump. So, am I some sort of reef master, lol;

Attachments

• 858DDE14-659A-48F4-A365-4472FF72F6C4.jpeg
    858DDE14-659A-48F4-A365-4472FF72F6C4.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 47FC0CCA-FF08-4DED-B770-F7AC95D76068.jpeg
    47FC0CCA-FF08-4DED-B770-F7AC95D76068.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few quick pics of my tank from today. If I had a fuge I could claim it’s algae free status is due to competition from the algae in the fuge, and without a doubt it would be believed. However, I grow nothing photosynthetic in my sump. So, am I some sort of reef master, lol;
There’s many photosynthetic algaes in your DT to claim that a Refugium is not effective at outcompeting them.
Although a refugium is not the only known organism effective at reducing ammonia

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus should be on ammonia, most nuisance algaes will struggle to break down nitrates.

What is the evidence that algae "strugggles" to use nitrate?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is clear that either one is necessarily the answer.
Almost everyone here is smarter than I am but I think we are missing a very important point. All the things we are posting about, bacteria, algae, cyano, diatoms, hydrogen peroxide, etc. are transient.

They are all fluid and change constantly so whatever you do and how many times you do it, it is only temporary. The sea, our hair and our tanks are in a constant state of flux and everything runs in cycles. The vast majority of people don't keep a tank long enough to realize this because some cycles last a few months and some last years.

If you for instance dose hydrogen peroxide, bottled bacteria, or carbon, whatever effects that gives you or doesn't give you may only last a week or two. In a year or two it won't mean anything.

Our tanks, and the sea are ecosystems surviving on the whims of the bacteria, diatoms, viruses, funguses, algae's and parasites in our systems and these things are always in conflict. They all prey on each other and the outcomes of those conflicts is what determines the health, looks and longevity of our tanks. If we could see these things we would see a violent war as every centimeter of our tanks is covered in life.

Normally anything we add could be detrimental to the normal process.

In my fifty year old tank right now I have some algae, cyano, "plenty" of diatoms and God knows what.

I have so many diatoms now that I can clean my glass every day or sometimes twice a day.
It's a cycle and eventually, with no help from me, it will resolve by itself and I will not add or remove anything to "help" it because after doing this for half a century, I consider myself smarter than the average bacteria and can wait them out.

But besides those things I mentioned we also have toxins from corals and anemones which all those creatures exude in varying amounts. These things change with the seasons or the growth of those creatures. In my tank I have an enormous growth of invasive sponge that emits toxins that killed all my SPS but nothing else. We never take these things into consideration and instead focus on adding one thing or another.

I feel the best thing we can do is add an algae scrubber which is natural and will only remove what is not needed and leave everything else. This will not upset the delicate balance of microbes that do not like the addition of "any" chemical.

I also feel that our habit of adding things to change something normal is the cause of so many people leaving this hobby and the reason there are very few old tanks. :thinking-face:

What is the evidence that algae "strugggles" to use nitrate?
What is the evidence that Randy strugggles to write the word "Struggle"? :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back