Adding flow to established tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have very established tanks with mature corals and abundant rock scape did you find it necessary to add additional powerheads at some point?

My flow seems to be really changing now as SPS are filling in. Mainly in the upper half of the tank. Flow in lower half seems normal. It's obvious the corals are being obstacles now and changing the direction the flow used to travel.

I am considering some directional powerheads in the top back corners of the tank to offset my current flow issues. I should add also that I prefer low moderate flow in the tank but good overall coverage.

What did you use to create additional flow as your corals grew in and assist your primary powerheads? Something that will stick to 12mm glass.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce are nice. Gyres move alot of water. Most recently, I've added a couple jebao ph for more targeted flow... 2 in opposite corners of rear glass, aimed toward center of front glass would add flow in the thick of it without blasting areas that are already sufficient

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea will probably need to add something small in the corners. Even the flow out of my return nozzle is obstructed now. Corals are fine so don't think it is an immediate priority fix but can only see the problem increasing with more growth.

I got to go back and look at the reef of the month tanks with huge coral displays and see how they are managing to the flow in those tanks with a wall of coral obstacles.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back