Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a "professional tank stuffer" the answer is heck no.

Your tank looks nice and it is off to a good start.

But it's a cube. At first I thought it was a 30 long where they could each sort of pick an end and stick to it.

If they are both tiny they will be ok for a while. Same as they would be tolerating a QT tank.
Has a QT discussion come up?
They will never breed, the way a horse and a donkey will to create a mule.
They are to far apart. The most you can hope for is they will tolerate each other.

If you are guaranteed to upgrade within 6 months to your 75 gallon tank, well, they probably won't kill each other in that time frame.
Not guaranteed...

It was probably just at the time of the picture, but your clam mantle looks horribly retracted. In time, staying closed like that will eventually cause its death. You may need to put it in a flow through box or net and see if it stays open there.

Will the flame teach the CB to enjoy the taste of clam (if it's not happening already)?
Better chance of that happening than them coexisting peacefully in that size tank. [emoji17]
They are both natural grazers and pickers all day long.
You might be the one in a 1000 that makes it work. But 1 in a 1000 seem reasonable odds.

The only positive you have going for you is the coral beauty is generally much more peaceful than the flame.
Adding a flame to a pre existing coral beauty has slightly more positive potential.
Adding a coral beauty to a pre existing flame would generally be a disaster.

What size are the 2 fish?

Your tank looks like it's off to a nice start. Easiest way to maintain that is to wait a month and see what you think in that time.
Okay thanks for the great advice. Yea the photo was taken at night so the clam was closed (turned the lights on for like 2 seconds) and I’ve decided not to get the flame angel. Thanks for the advice :)

Nutramar Foods
BRS

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do decide to upgrade, it would be best to either add the 2 of them to the new tank at the same time, or give the coral beauty just one day to get established.
The cubes are beautiful but combining not so perfect tanl mates often works better in a rectangle.
Lol, it's still a bad idea to begin with, but maybe adds a 10% improvement?

There are plenty of people with the 2 of them together in a 75 gallon or larger.
But they need the extra room and a lot of rock work to both feel more comfortable.
Starting with juveniles helps dramatically.
Still no guarantees, and you need to be able to catch and rehome 1 of them if it doesn't work. :)

They are both beautiful fish. :)

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glad you made the decision not to get the flame! Gbey are one of the most beautiful fish in the ocean IMO. if u need any suggestions for ur tank we are here to help!
thanks mate, what would you suggest, I'm thinking of getting 2 mandarin fish and one other fish but I'm not sure what do you suggest?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks mate, what would you suggest, I'm thinking of getting 2 mandarin fish and one other fish but I'm not sure what do you suggest?

I really hate to be this guy but I would exercise extreme caution when adding mandarins to your tank. Especially multiple. These fish are mostly known for eating pods and will decimate a tank within a week. You would need a steady supply of them to keep one happy especially two of them. You may find one that eats frozen and even rarer pellets but very rare. If anything if you want a mandarin stick to one and make sure you can get him the pods needed until you can train him to eat frozen food :). As for suggestions my favorites that are reef safe,colorful and easy to keep would be: a small wrasse like a flasher wrasse. they go for about 40$(i have had them and love them make sure to have a lid on the tank!) Chromis are a great addition. Keep in mind a group usually kills off the weakest link. I have always had success with three of them. other than that I think you will be mostly stocked with beautiful fish :)

Avast
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate to be this guy but I would exercise extreme caution when adding mandarins to your tank. Especially multiple. These fish are mostly known for eating pods and will decimate a tank within a week. You would need a steady supply of them to keep one happy especially two of them. You may find one that eats frozen and even rarer pellets but very rare. If anything if you want a mandarin stick to one and make sure you can get him the pods needed until you can train him to eat frozen food :). As for suggestions my favorites that are reef safe,colorful and easy to keep would be: a small wrasse like a flasher wrasse. they go for about 40$(i have had them and love them make sure to have a lid on the tank!) Chromis are a great addition. Keep in mind a group usually kills off the weakest link. I have always had success with three of them. other than that I think you will be mostly stocked with beautiful fish :)
Ive seen two together at my LFS and they are in a frag / small coral tank, so they would be VERY difficult to catch and most customers don't see them so I was thinking of asking my boss if I could try to train them to eat frozen pods If I came in early some days, plus I've read about people training mandarins to eat them or breeding pods in their sump / refugium but ill be careful before adding them, thanks for the advice :)

Nutramar Foods

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough but I know he has been in the industry for at least 10 years or so as my parents bought their first tank from him and he's my boss so I have to trust him. Sorry t hear about that experience

Hi Peach02.

You have been given some sound advice here.

There are hundreds of years of experience here vs 20. And while your LFS says you can do it still don’t mean that you should.

I have a CB in a 5’ 108 gallon tank and it uses every bit of it. I would agree with LA that 70 gallons is a minimum.

Although things may be OK right now, the CB is going get a bit stir crazy as he grows IMO.

As for advice, consider this:
There is a big difference between 20 years of experience, and 1 year of experience 20 times.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hesitant to offer any fish suggestions instead of the flame angel till your cb grows a bit more and reaches sexual maturity, 33 cube and your stock are teetering on full depending on temperaments of the angel and clown pair.

But as you have a BTA a colony of sexy shrimp will add some color and interest to the tank.

None of your fish are hunters of shrimp(though any fish can be opportunistic) plus an anemone they should settle in nicely.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back