Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s the same as most dwarf angels, both of mine seem pretty happy. Comes from the same waters as the flame angel
I find multicolors to come from dipper water than the flames do, making it a colder water species.

Nutramar Foods

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find multicolors to come from dipper water than the flames do, making it a colder water species.
Hmmm not too sure about that, my venustus seems to be doing really well too and my yellow assessor and I think they are from deeper waters than both. I think it just depends cause flames can be found in deeper waters than multicolors too, they both have a pretty big range. I think whatever you’re happy with, I just see too many flame s and coral beauties that’s why I like the multicolor and venustus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm not too sure about that, my venustus seems to be doing really well too and my yellow assessor and I think they are from deeper waters than both
From what I’ve found:
Multicolour angels come from depths of 65.6-377.2ft
Venusta angels come from depths of 131ft
Yellow Assessors come from depths of 7-82ft

To rephrase:
Yes cooler water species CAN survive in warmer waters but won’t thrive and will have shorter life spans. The question that has been left unanswered is:
“How much does their life span get shortened?” Other fish that prefer cooler waters but get sold as warm water fish are the Blue Spotted Jawfish

AquaCave Logo Banner

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve found:
Multicolour angels come from depths of 65.6-377.2ft
Venusta angels come from depths of 131ft
Yellow Assessors come from depths of 7-82ft

To rephrase:
Yes cooler water species CAN survive in warmer waters but won’t thrive and will have shorter life spans. The question that has been left unanswered is:
“How much does their life span get shortened?” Other fish that prefer cooler waters but get sold as warm water fish are the Blue Spotted Jawfish
Yea but flames can be found in water as deep as I think 190ft and I know people who have them for a long time. I agree with you though, my water is at 76 if that helps haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but flames can be found in water as deep as I think 190ft and I know people who have them for a long time. I agree with you though, my water is at 76 of that helps haha
Yeah, so your water is just warm enough for coral growth and cool enough for deeper water fish, I didn’t know that flames could be found so far down! Wonder if the ones we commonly found being sold were shallower water, hmm…

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so your water is just warm enough for coral growth and cool enough for deeper water fish, I didn’t know that flames could be found so far down! Wonder if the ones we commonly found being sold were shallower water, hmm…
I didn’t know either but I guess their range is pretty wide, other than location that might explain the contrast of color. I’ve seen some bright orangish to a darkish orange red. Have you set your mind don the coral beauty haha

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilefish will work however, you MUST have a kid in a tank that shallow.
Lid is what I meant, sorry I was still half asleep typing this.
Also, my tilefish spends most of his time at the bottom half of the tank however when feeding, he does quite literally zooms to the top of the tank and scares me. He could easily out “run” a racing car if he wanted. Cave dwelling can be anything from a “dwarf” angelfish (the term Dwarf covers several genera of angelfish, not just centropyge) to a tang. It just depends how much of the time you want it cave dwelling. My flashing tilefish (Hoplolatilus chluaptyi) usually just uses the caves when scared, sleeping or just wants to swim into it but for the rest of the time he’s out and looking beautiful. Obviously I do not recommend a Hoplolatilus chlupatyi unless you have experience with one or several different species from that genus, I went to tackle H. chlupatyi due to having experience with 4 H. starckii and 2 H. purpureus, all 6 were much more outgoing compared to the more elusive chlupatyi.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t pink streaked wrasses and possum wrasses spend most of their time in and around the rocks? Would one of them get along with the other wrasses and basslets?
They’re timid and can’t stand aggression from other fish (Small bits of aggression like flashing from a Cirrhilabrus or paracheilinus is alright).

OP
OP
R

Reeferinthe505

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was seeing. One thing I'm thinking is to not do one of the wrasses, the angel, and a basslet and in their place get a trio of mid sized anthias. Either dispar, ignitus, or resplendent anthias. I was thinking these since I'm already having to feed multiple times a day with the wrasses. I was wondering if it is even worth it to think about this list versus the previous one and if it did work which species would be best?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was seeing. One thing I'm thinking is to not do one of the wrasses, the angel, and a basslet and in their place get a trio of mid sized anthias. Either dispar, ignitus, or resplendent anthias. I was thinking these since I'm already having to feed multiple times a day with the wrasses. I was wondering if it is even worth it to think about this list versus the previous one and if it did work which species would be best?
I wouldn’t go for any shoaling anthias, due to them often whittling it down to 1-2 in a small tank (3-6’). Fatheads would be better because they’re solitary animals but will do alright in a pair.

OP
OP
R

Reeferinthe505

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issues with keeping the same species of wrasses, I guess. Would a single one of the hardier anthias (lyretail, bimac, or bartletts) work? Also I've seen the psuedojuloides or the pencil wrasses and how they're similar in care to a leopard or anampses wrasse, if they could be kept in a 60 gallon?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issues with keeping the same species of wrasses, I guess. Would a single one of the hardier anthias (lyretail, bimac, or bartletts) work? Also I've seen the psuedojuloides or the pencil wrasses and how they're similar in care to a leopard or anampses wrasse, if they could be kept in a 60 gallon?
I would say the smaller ones that stay 4” could be kept in a 60g if it’s got sand. Also same species of wrasses won’t ALWAYS knock eachother down, the only time they do this is if they all become male. I have found Anampses, Pseudojuloides and Macropharyngodon to be able to be kept in groups of similar/same species as long as one of them is the “alpha” male.

Top Shelf Aquatics

adittam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a Red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)?

Also, I don't agree with the opinion that a 60-gallon WITH THOSE DIMENSIONS (long, as opposed to tall) is too small for one of the smaller bristletooth tangs. Tomini, White Tail, and Squaretail all stay under 6" fully grown, and as long as you only pick one of them, I think it would be happy and be an awesome centerpiece fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning towards the severnsi or kaleidos since they both seem to get around 4" from the information I've seen. What species have you kept? In your experience how'd they compare to your other wrasses?
I have kept Severnsi and Kaleidos, they tend to be more finicky eaters (Much closer to Anampses than Macropharyngodon with feeding). They will eat fireworms aswell as pods but feeding them prepared or frozen is the hardest step. If possible then try de it feeding in the LFS before buying it or you will have to train it onto frozen (I have had to do this with a Koumansetta hectori and it wasn’t fun, I eventually gave up and decided to just let him eat the fauna in the sand, he does eat now due to seeing the other fish eat it though).

AS

bstodds15

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 48’x16’x18’. My favorite angels are the bellus, but they need a bigger tank. I was leaning towards a cherub pygmy or a coral beauty since I’ve heard they are the least aggressive and most reef safe

An aqua cultured coral beauty would be your best bet between the 2.

I’ve had a cherub angel for 3-4 years now in a 55g and have always been nervous about adding coral to the tank… BUT Last week I added a green star polyp colony to “test the waters” and the cherub hasn’t even glanced at it (thankfully).

As long as you keep an angel well fed, and have a good algae growth for them to feed on, you should be okay with most of the dwarfs in a reef tank.

I will say that my cherub is a huge ******* as he’s the “big man” of the tank.

Whatever angel you do get, you should 100% add last!

bstodds15

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious if a single male lyretail anthias can be kept in a 60g tank.

I’ve never kept Anthia’s since most info says the need larger tanks, to be in schools, more specific feeding habits etc.

If there’s only 1, and it only gets 6” full grown, I never got why it couldn’t suffice in tanks around 55-75g

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back