Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing some night hunting in my tank for any straggling isopods and I saw this guy just chilling. I don’t trust anything anymore so I took him out he looks just like a giant berghia nudibranch. When I touched him with the tweezers some oh his frills shed and stuck to the metal. I haven’t noticed any coral damage so really have no clue if he’s bad or not.

890A2580-4CBC-48EF-B947-EC5744DD1D94.jpeg D16EAF0F-3A24-4EB1-A6B6-D556068D50EC.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely some sort of nudibranch- very cool! Probably not an enormous concern for your corals? Most coral-eating nudibranchs are very specific in what they target, so, if he does eat corals, he'd likely only be interested in one species or group- and that group would be something native to Florida. Kinda like how I probably don't have to worry that some ivy I dig up in California will bring in a caterpillar that likes to eat my tropical orchids. Crickets, sure, which in this metaphor are gorilla crabs, but not caterpillars/nudibranchs.

Wonder who might know what he is? Maybe have a quick flip through here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=21&taxon_id=47113&view=species and see if anything looks right; it's not an exhaustive list, but it has plenty of entries.

OP
OP
FishRN

FishRN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely some sort of nudibranch- very cool! Probably not an enormous concern for your corals? Most coral-eating nudibranchs are very specific in what they target, so, if he does eat corals, he'd likely only be interested in one species or group- and that group would be something native to Florida. Kinda like how I probably don't have to worry that some ivy I dig up in California will bring in a caterpillar that likes to eat my tropical orchids. Crickets, sure, which in this metaphor are gorilla crabs, but not caterpillars/nudibranchs.

Wonder who might know what he is? Maybe have a quick flip through here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=21&taxon_id=47113&view=species and see if anything looks right; it's not an exhaustive list, but it has plenty of entries.
Thanks for the link he definitely looks like the

Phidiana lynceus​

He has the same head appendages and the same color and texture of the frills!

OP
OP
FishRN

FishRN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently they eat hydroids I really don’t think I have any in my tank so this guy will eventually starve to death. And just as a heads up to anyone else that ever comes across this thread that finds one- the frills definitely sting. I peeled off the one that was sticking to my tweezers and now my finger is tingling pretty good…

Top Shelf Aquatics

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently they eat hydroids I really don’t think I have any in my tank so this guy will eventually starve to death. And just as a heads up to anyone else that ever comes across this thread that finds one- the frills definitely sting. I peeled off the one that was sticking to my tweezers and now my finger is tingling pretty good…
Interesting find! I hope your finger feels better. Have you tried adding vinegar to your finger? I don’t know if it might help kind of like a bug bite or sting to neutralize the toxins.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, neat! I mean, unfortunate way to find it out, but that's cool! You've definitely learned it eats something that stings, then, since it will have gotten those stinging cells from its diet.

Pop it back in your tank, give it a chance. You probably have a few hydroids lurking on that rock anyway- may as well get 'em eaten.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back