Yellow Tang LLE

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I currently have a yellow tang that has pretty bad LLE. He had it when I had first picked him up, but it was just around his eyes. He then became constipated and sick for about 10 days, where he didn’t eat. I treated in a separate tank with kanaplex and he eventually pulled through and started eating again after about nine days. Obviously the lack of nutrition made the situation worse. He’s super healthy now though and eats like a champ and runs the show with tank mates.

Is there anything I can do to help with the LLE? I feed him Nori every single day. He also gets mysis and Brian shrimp with spirulina along with some probiotic algae pellets that I mix in with it all. The LLE isn’t bothering him or getting worse at all. he’s healthier than he’s ever been, but just curious if there’s anything I can do to help. I did take out carbon and am now running purigen.

IMG_0649.jpeg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hlle and lle can some times be healed but it takes a long time with proper nutrition.

Edit It is good it seems to not be getting worse. I have read lots of things on carbon and certain types of fish. It seems that there is no direct evidence to it but I have noticed when low cost or dirty forms of carbon are used more issues arise, this has also been noted in some scientific papers. Added vitamins may help. I have reversed it in some south american cichlids and a purple tang years ago with proper diet fresh algae and nori vitamin soaked mysis and high quality pellets, cichlids were fed a high quality live diet gut loaded with high quality feeds and raw veg.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hlle and lle can some times be healed but it takes a long time with proper nutrition.

Edit It is good it seems to not be getting worse. I have read lots of things on carbon and certain types of fish. It seems that there is no direct evidence to it but I have noticed when low cost or dirty forms of carbon are used more issues arise, this has also been noted in some scientific papers. Added vitamins may help. I have reversed it in some south american cichlids and a purple tang years ago with proper diet fresh algae and nori vitamin soaked mysis and high quality pellets, cichlids were fed a high quality live diet gut loaded with high quality feeds and raw veg.
This is a good article on this subject

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all,
I currently have a yellow tang that has pretty bad LLE. He had it when I had first picked him up, but it was just around his eyes. He then became constipated and sick for about 10 days, where he didn’t eat. I treated in a separate tank with kanaplex and he eventually pulled through and started eating again after about nine days. Obviously the lack of nutrition made the situation worse. He’s super healthy now though and eats like a champ and runs the show with tank mates.

Is there anything I can do to help with the LLE? I feed him Nori every single day. He also gets mysis and Brian shrimp with spirulina along with some probiotic algae pellets that I mix in with it all. The LLE isn’t bothering him or getting worse at all. he’s healthier than he’s ever been, but just curious if there’s anything I can do to help. I did take out carbon and am now running purigen.

IMG_0649.jpeg
Its often due to a vitamin deficiency and/or poor water quality (elevated ammonia and nitrates as example)
Maintain good water quality and add foods to diet such as:
LRS Herbivore diet
plankton
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Seaweed basted with garlic

Add selcon vitamins to the diet occasionally

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its often due to a vitamin deficiency and/or poor water quality (elevated ammonia and nitrates as example)
Maintain good water quality and add foods to diet such as:
LRS Herbivore diet
plankton
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Seaweed basted with garlic

Add selcon vitamins to the diet occasionally
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely keep a good diet going. The lack of nutrition makes complete sense as it rapidly worsened when he went on a hunger strike from constipation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

IMG_0649.jpeg

That isn't too bad, when yellow tangs get a severe case, their fins get notched and eroded. This may just be "epithelial thinning" that is seen in younger captive raised YT. I wrote about it here:

https://www.coralmagazine.com/2016/03/12/captive-bred-yellow-tangs-showing-hlle/

Some people are reporting that their fish outgrow this (rare in true HLLE).

Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish get hlle twice and I soaked ocean nutrition prime reef flakes in the omega hufa brightwell supplement and it stopp both times and healed pretty well. Not sure if this truly was the fixing cause but its not a bad idea to try it. Both cases were right when carbon got grinded in a reactor by accident.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is carbon dust and lignite carbon is the worst. Well rinsed and packed carbon likely won't lead to hlle.

ROX 0.8 pelleted carbon seems to be o.k., so does carbon products that are sold "wet". We only saw microscopic HLLE (by histopathology) in fish exposed to those.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back