View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions in regard to yasha gobies

1) Do they need sand?
2) Do they really require only frozen food, and need to be fed multiple times daily?
3) What are the behavior differences if not paired w a pistol shrimp?
4) Do they need to be spot fed or will they compete for food?

Thanks all!

BRS

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) Do they need sand?
2) Do they really require only frozen food, and need to be fed multiple times daily?

Thanks all!
1) They need sand as it is known for it's burrowing behavior
2) These are carnivorous and will readily accept small meaty food items, such as mysis shrimp, cmollusk flesh, and frozen commercial formulations for small carnivores. Multiple daily feedings are recommended
3) The shrimp builds and maintains a burrow that both animals live in, and the fish offers the shrimp protection from predator. U can keep them without shrimp if u wish to do that but they seem to be happy with shrimp

Nutramar Foods

Baldguy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yasha's are certainly happier with sand and a pistol shrimp. The behavior is fascinating to watch. I feed the tank almost exclusively flakes. I do not spot feed. I actually have three goby/pistol pairs in a 4ft tank. A yasha m/f pair, yellow watchman and a hi fin. Btw, DD has a male yasha posted.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) Do they need sand?

Thanks all!
1. Yes, these guys do need sand as even without a pistol they make a small burrow under the rockwork.
2. These guys are highly adaptable and I believe they’re only CB now so yes, they only need Frozen Food however we recommend giving them pellets as well which will increase their nutrient intake.
3. I’ve had 2 in my time, one went 2.5 years of its life without a pistol shrimp (I gave it a pistol for the remaining 6 months I had it) and my second has always been with the pistol since I got it, the differences were;
Without a pistol the yasha kind of just sits on the sandbed and waits, not doing much. If I’m honest I saw my yasha more when she got a pistol shrimp. However, with a pistol shrimp, my 1st yasha loved to hang out on the sandbed and just watch over the tank looking for danger.
Unfortunately my second, whilst she does the same I’ve not had her long enough for her to be open and know me as being ‘Friendly’. But I guess my first yasha did live with me through lockdown and I found that made all of my fish more personable (and even more personal - I love my fish but lockdown made me love them more and build a better connection to some of them).
4. My first was in a high activity tanks but all of the fish I had were 6 gobies, 3 wrasses and one blenny. It was a tank of 9-10 fish (my RS Max Nano), the yasha was always first in line for food.
In my lower activity tank, it’s been the same. The fish I currently have are 3-4 wrasses and 2 gobies in a custom made 3’x16”x1’ tank. I have never spot fed any fish I own or have owned, yes some will disagree when they see what fish I own/have owned however one huge nutrient feeding helps me a lot in both of my tanks.

P.S. I’m a huge fan of the Yasha and is the only Stonogobiops goby I will likely own. My first one unfortunately lost his long dorsal spine and unfortunately didn’t grow it back.
C0F5D5A0-8F31-4037-8A2A-6CAAADBDBF6B.jpeg

Avast
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back