Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a wrasse to help with pest control in a bare bottom SPS dominant tank. Is there one that would work? I don't have any pests at the moment but am stocking a new tank that I will be moving all of my frags to in the future so I'm trying to be a little proactive. I figured I'd ask here rather than the general or fish forum as its related to helping with SPS pest vs being a general fish question. TIA

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. If you don't plan on having the right environment with the tank, then its best not to get the fish. I have heard people keeping a cup of sand in the tank for this purpose. There are alternatives for pest control depending on what you'd like to be eaten. QT-ing coral also can be a major roadblock for pests.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. If you don't plan on having the right environment with the tank, then its best not to get the fish. I have heard people keeping a cup of sand in the tank for this purpose. There are alternatives for pest control depending on what you'd like to be eaten. QT-ing coral also can be a major roadblock for pests.

Sorry I was asking if there is a wrasse that would work for pest control in a bare bottom. Not should I put a wrasse in a bare bottom. I'm not much of a wrasse person that's why I ask. If there isn't then so be it I'll pass.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was asking if there is a wrasse that would work for pest control in a bare bottom. Not should I put a wrasse in a bare bottom. I'm not much of a wrasse person that's why I ask. If there isn't then so be it I'll pass.

I know, I was saying that you shouldn't because while its possible, it would probably be stressful for the fish.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus wrasse is in my bare bottom 220g for past two years and he’s never told me he wants sand.
Melanaurus is one of the few wrasses I have owned and mine definatly slept in the sand so I would be hesitant. While one may do fine like @Spare time stated it could be stressful for the fish. I'm hesitant to bring a fish in that I can't at least make an attempt at simulating their natural environment. Also mine was all over a 6ft tank and the tank I'm working on now is 36inches x 22inches. I should have mentioned that in the original post sorry.

AquaCave Logo Banner

therman

Valuable Member
Review score
+11 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+11 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as you have rock and some detritus underneath for them to get under, I have had good luck long term with melanurus, Christmas and Timor wrasses. I think it helps if you start with small ones. Obviously you need tight fitting lids too though.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have rock and some detritus underneath for them to get under, I have had good luck long term with melanurus, Christmas and Timor wrasses. I think it helps if you start with small ones. Obviously you need tight fitting lids too though.
Thank you, I had forgotten about a lid as I haven't had jumpers in quite a while. Added to the list.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for some a reference this is the scape in the tank. I started as an NSA but I added more rock at the bottom to create caves and hidy holes after taking fish into consideration.
Front 20230312_171319.jpg
Left side 20230312_171309.jpg
Right side 20230312_171249.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse that don't need sand are:
Flashers - Paracheilinus
Fairies - Cirrhilabrus
Lined - Pseudocheilinus
Cryptic - Pseudocheilinops

Flashers and fairies are beautiful but are not good pest eaters

Lined wrasse are great pest eaters but also very aggressive for their size and will kill other wrasse.

Cryptic has only one species and its somewhat rare. The pink streak, P ataenia. Great pest eater though and very peaceful.

What i'd do is add a container of sand to the back of the tank and get a Halichoeres like a melanarus.

BTW there is a wrasse lovers thread where all us wrasse nerds congregate:
Thread 'The Wrasse Lover's Thread!'

Last edited:

slythy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pink streak wrasse in my bb sps tank. Its fat, happy. and is out exploring everywhere. He even eats flake. Its a 70g with 2 mp40’s and 2 mp10’s. Have a white tail tang, foxface, and 2 clowns.

its one of my favorite fish to watch

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back