How many Radions X15 Blues for my SPS tank?

TCK Corals

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to run the g6 xr15s lower to achive higher par levels. I have a 30 gallon and run 1 xr15 pro g6 at 6 inches above water and at 5-6 inches down to the rocks I have 350-370 par. Sand bed is only 18 inches below the light and I get over 200 par in the middle and just over 100 par in the corners. One friends 75g at 6 inches 2 exr15 g6 pros were able to get upto 400 6 inches under water to the rocks. He sand bed in a 2 foot tall tank is getting over 200par. He has since added a total of 4 xr15s as it will be mostly sps and the back sand bed can get over 300 par easily.

With the lights lower the wider beam angle can actually reflect the light off the glass and get the par into the tank. Obviously, if you go lower than the 6 inches we tested at you will see even higher par levels. With that said I would agree and go with the xr30. Though the same would apply, if the xr30 is ran lower you will see alot of par.
5-6” mounting height is not an option. The 9” rms mounts is already terrible enough for top down pics, placing or fragging corals, etc.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Avast
OP
OP
P

Peluche

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, thank you, you all have great points. My tank will be delivered to my place Friday, so I still have some time to make my final decision. There are good options out there, I just need to figure out which one I will pick. I will probably go with the Radions, not sure if I will go for four X15, or three X15 and a Grow Blade later down the line. Maybe I will go SPS on 36 inches, and Torches and Gonis for the remaining 12 inches.

Shawnd08

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, thank you, you all have great points. My tank will be delivered to my place Friday, so I still have some time to make my final decision. There are good options out there, I just need to figure out which one I will pick. I will probably go with the Radions, not sure if I will go for four X15, or three X15 and a Grow Blade later down the line. Maybe I will go SPS on 36 inches, and Torches and Gonis for the remaining 12 inches.
I think supplementing with a blade or 2 would be a great idea. I'm using a 12 inch freshwater blade for my refugium and I am very impressed with it. With in two days I started seeing new growth on macros.

OP
OP
P

Peluche

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think supplementing with a blade or 2 would be a great idea. I'm using a 12 inch freshwater blade for my refugium and I am very impressed with it. With in two days I started seeing new growth on macros.
The Blades worry me a bit because it's a first generation technology, and I hear all kinds of complaints about them right now. But if I start with three X15 Blue, I can wait a year before ordering a Blade. That would give them a year to "fix " at least, some of the problems. If the problems persist, I could just add another X15 down the line instead.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

acrojunkie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I will be receiving a new tank Friday, and here are the dimensions.

Dimensions of my new tank: 48 x 15 ( and 17.5 inches from bottom to top ) ( 65.4 gallons with AIO sump )

I want this to be an SPS dominated tank, with a few Gonios and a few Torches on the sides.

Radions will be mounted 8-9 inches above the water.

How many Radions X-15 G6 Blues would you recommend?

Thank you!
I would think that three would be sufficient, or a combination of a XR30 in the middle with a XR15 on each side.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back