Would a one spot fox face be pushing my luck?

Is a one spot fox face a positive addition

• Fo sho!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Heck no!

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My system is a 50g display. I currently have a pair of clowns. A tomini tang, a trio of chromis and a royal gramma. I have urchins, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp, limpets, snails and hermits. My rock work has plenty of nooks and crannies and a lot of places to hide.
The question, could I add a small one spot fox face to my system to help with nuisance algae and everyone live in peace. Also, what are the pros and cons of fox face behavior? I know he will eventually outgrow my system and im ok with trading/upgrading eventually.
IMG_2995.jpeg

Last edited:

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot fox face and he is pretty peaceful. He doesn’t bother anybody or anything., when I put a new Coral in, he will come over to inspect and pick out whatever algae he sees on the skeleton or a frog plug but I’ve never seen him bother any Coral, I would say go for it

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a one spot fox face and he is pretty peaceful. He doesn’t bother anybody or anything., when I put a new Coral in, he will come over to inspect and pick out whatever algae he sees on the skeleton or a frog plug but I’ve never seen him bother any Coral, I would say go for it
That’s exactly what I need.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a model citizen and actually pretty skittish. He doesn’t bother any other fish in my 120g. Just goes about his business grazing and keeping the tank clean. I have a blue hippo tang, blue chromis, 2 leopard wrasse, 2 clowns, lyretail anthia, diamond goby, royal gramma, fire dartfish, 2 cleaner shrimp, a pincushion urchin, hermits, various trochus, nassarius, and 2 fighting conch. Tank is peaceful, though the tang is the boss.

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine is a model citizen and actually pretty skittish. He doesn’t bother any other fish in my 120g. Just goes about his business grazing and keeping the tank clean. I have a blue hippo tang, blue chromis, 2 leopard wrasse, 2 clowns, lyretail anthia, diamond goby, royal gramma, fire dartfish, 2 cleaner shrimp, a pincushion urchin, hermits, various trochus, nassarius, and 2 fighting conch. Tank is peaceful, though the tang is the boss.
Do you see any reason not to put one in my 50 gallon system? Do you think the smaller tank would be an issue? It’s 36x18x18

HorribleParameters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank size, I had a foxface and he was a jerk, he murdered my blue spot Jawfish. He loitered around the BSJF’s cave and point his top spikes at the hole. The Jawfish would lurch out and try to bite and push the FF away but the FF would just stab him in the face, which quickly killed the Jawfish after a day or so. The foxface was only 2”-3” max. He also nipped and bit at my scolys and other fleshy LPS. He was a food hog and aggressive during feeding. Cool fish, but with a smaller tank and poisonous fins, fast growing, and IME aggressive, I’d just get a biota yellow tang if I were you. I love my biota yellow he destroys algae. You’ll still get your yellow, herbivorous fish, at a smaller size that won’t get as big as a fox face, and if you do rehome, you’ll get more $$ for a yellow tang these days.

Attachments

• IMG_5987.png
    IMG_5987.png
    850.2 KB · Views: 44

joeoliver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish, IME. Definitely an algae grazer, peacekeeper, and skittish as mentioned. I initially had him in a 40 gallon which he quickly outgrew. My initial plan was to trade him in for a smaller one when he got bigger, but I just couldn't do that to him so I upgraded to a 120.

He also picked at my forest fire digitata when I first put the coral in. I upped my feeding a bit and he stopped. I don't have algae in my tank anymore. Probably because of him and my white tail tang so I supplement feedings with nori most days to keep them happy.

Other tank mates include two clownfish and three wrasses (melanurus, blue star leopard, and pink-streaked).

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a similar tank size, I had a foxface and he was a jerk, he murdered my blue spot Jawfish. He loitered around the BSJF’s cave and point his top spikes at the hole. The Jawfish would lurch out and try to bite and push the FF away but the FF would just stab him in the face, which quickly killed the Jawfish after a day or so. The foxface was only 2”-3” max. He also nipped and bit at my scolys and other fleshy LPS. He was a food hog and aggressive during feeding. Cool fish, but with a smaller tank and poisonous fins, fast growing, and IME aggressive, I’d just get a biota yellow tang if I were you. I love my biota yellow he destroys algae. You’ll still get your yellow, herbivorous fish, at a smaller size that won’t get as big as a fox face, and if you do rehome, you’ll get more $$ for a yellow tang these days.
Was your fox face a one spot?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is a 50g display. I currently have a pair of clowns. A tomini tang, a trio of chromis and a royal gramma. I have urchins, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp, limpets, snails and hermits. My rock work has plenty of nooks and crannies and a lot of places to hide.
The question, could I add a small one spot fox face to my system to help with nuisance algae and everyone live in peace. Also, what are the pros and cons of fox face behavior? I know he will eventually outgrow my system and im ok with trading/upgrading eventually.
IMG_2995.jpeg
No wayyy too small. Mine is 6 inches now, grew to that size im about 3 months. He is bigger than my Naso tang. Pictures for size reference. These guys get HUGE

Attachments

• IMG_5981.jpeg
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5982.jpeg
    IMG_5982.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No wayyy too small. Mine is 6 inches now, grew to that size im about 3 months. He is bigger than my Naso tang. Pictures for size reference. These guys get HUGE
Thank you for the reply, I didn’t realize that they grow that fast. :oops:

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallons sounds too small for a One Spot Foxface to live comfortably. It may survive in the same way a lion can survive in a small metal cage but the setup is not a great one. I had a One Spot Foxface. Bought it at 2" and it more than doubled in size within 3 month in my 5 ft wide display. One Spot Fox faces can get big!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2995.jpeg
I have one in my 90 gallon and he is extremely peaceful!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back