Within 24 hours, everything is closed up!

SaltLifeMom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, lookimg for ideas. I have a 25 Waterbox cube penninsula with live rock, a Duncan coral, a green star polyp coral, rainbow bubbletip anenome, 2 cardinal fish and a turbo snail. Everyone was happy 2 days ago. I used 1/4 top Reef Roids for the first time 2 days ago at the recommendation of my local fish store. Water got cloudyish but I figured it was the Reedlf Roids. Today, all corals are closed. The Bubbletip has moved to the bottom of a rock and seems pretty deflated. Water test shows: Salinity 1.025, Alk 189, Alk dkh 10.2, ph 7.7, phosphate 0.04, calcium 353, magnesium 1106, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

I used an ai hd16, on gorgeous 8 hrs a day.

Any ideas?

20230211_180049.jpg
20230211_180024.jpg

Gretchacha

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, lookimg for ideas. I have a 25 Waterbox cube penninsula with live rock, a Duncan coral, a green star polyp coral, rainbow bubbletip anenome, 2 cardinal fish and a turbo snail. Everyone was happy 2 days ago. I used 1/4 top Reef Roids for the first time 2 days ago at the recommendation of my local fish store. Water got cloudyish but I figured it was the Reedlf Roids. Today, all corals are closed. The Bubbletip has moved to the bottom of a rock and seems pretty deflated. Water test shows: Salinity 1.025, Alk 189, Alk dkh 10.2, ph 7.7, phosphate 0.04, calcium 353, magnesium 1106, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

I used an ai hd16, on gorgeous 8 hrs a day.

Any ideas?

View attachment 3017845View attachment 3017841
I know this is old, but I would suggest trying a less organic rich coral enrichment for your tank since it is not grown in enough to consume much yet. Coral AB+ by Red Sea is a liquid you can dose for the stuff the corals can’t make with their zooxanthelle. That would be the amino acids, vitamins, and fatty acids. It is absorbed directly and also does not add organics that can pollute the tank. It’s always a good idea to start something slowly and see how your tank responds. Try ¼ of the standard dose every other day to start, bumping it up to ¼ dose daily, then ½ dose etc. over the course of a month until you find your sweet spot. I think this may help you avoid blooms. As others mentioned, your low magnesium value may be causing your alk and Ca to precipitate out, as all those numbers are low. That will be slowing your coral growth and not helping your imbalance. And finally, a water change of 25% every other day is a gentle but effective way of bringing your water parameters back into balance, regardless of the cause. Balanced water will always equlibriate the biota faster than water that is out of balance. It can reduce organics, reduce excess nutrients, and increase low minerals and trace elements. The cost of this on a small tank is peanuts. I really like the Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine bag of reef salts. Its clean, same as ocean values, dissolves quickly and without any cloudiness or brown sludge.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back