Within 24 hours, everything is closed up!

SaltLifeMom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, lookimg for ideas. I have a 25 Waterbox cube penninsula with live rock, a Duncan coral, a green star polyp coral, rainbow bubbletip anenome, 2 cardinal fish and a turbo snail. Everyone was happy 2 days ago. I used 1/4 top Reef Roids for the first time 2 days ago at the recommendation of my local fish store. Water got cloudyish but I figured it was the Reedlf Roids. Today, all corals are closed. The Bubbletip has moved to the bottom of a rock and seems pretty deflated. Water test shows: Salinity 1.025, Alk 189, Alk dkh 10.2, ph 7.7, phosphate 0.04, calcium 353, magnesium 1106, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

I used an ai hd16, on gorgeous 8 hrs a day.

Any ideas?

20230211_180049.jpg
20230211_180024.jpg

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again

All things a water change can do and does immediately

since when is it not beneficial to do a water change

Over time your skimmer pulls out dissolved organics, water change does this immediately

Over time UV kills bacteria, to be removed by skimmer. Water change does this immediately

Over time carbon pulls dissolved organics, water change does this immediately

a water change is an immediate solution to the problem. Remove dirty, problematic water and replace with clean fresh water. Dilution is the solution to the pollution

a water change will help the original poster with their issue immediately

that’s the goal here right?
Dude you just don’t get it. In a full blown bacterial bloom they multiply so fast that you’d have to sit there for the days it’s going to take it to subside and do 100 percent water changes every 20 mins.
I don’t know how many times I have to say that I JUST DEALT WITH THIS

if you’re worried about oxygen depravity then crank up a skimmer or go get an air stone. But water changes are a fruitless effort for this

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are way over complicated
Bruh. It’s a 25 gallon tank. OP would have to be making 25 gallon batches of saltwater every 20 mins to keep up with the multiplication rate of the bacteria causing the bloom. I don’t know how many times you have to be told that water changes do NOTHING for bacterial blooms in full swing. For the third time. I just dealt with back to back bacterial blooms from feeding coral food. Water changes did absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

I never finish anythi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change will Always help

your theory is to let everything suffer in oxygen depleted water because in your opinion a water change will do nothing

a water change will reduce the amount of water born bacteria, restoring o2 levels, raise Ph resulting in relief for the animals

when did a water change ever hurt anything?!
When you got Dino's

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with other posts - way too much Reef Roids and you need a large water change. Raise calcium and mag and add an air stone until things stabilize. It wouldn't hurt to add some Poly Filter.

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol ok whatever go ahead and waste expensive salt and do a 25 gallon water change. SMH

please come back in 4 hours when your water looks exactly the same and tell these dudes it didn’t work. Scroll to the very bottom of that article

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mean to cause any drama. I appreciate the feedback. I dosed some Magnesium and Calcium and just let everything settle down overnight. I was prepared to water change just a little if need be, but today the water has improved. Duncan is open, the new moved a little but isn't fully open and the green star is partially opened.

I'm going to hold tight and see how things look in the morning.

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no drama. It’s just false information being spewed. Yes do you a water change to get out what you over fed. But if your bacterial bloom persists. Water changes will not fix it. Only time will fix it as it has to run its course. Your options are increase skim, airstone, carbon or UV. Water change isn’t on the list for your bacterial bloom. Only to get out what you over fed. Doing water changes to fix cloudy water in a bacterial bloom are a waste of money.

read the article I posted on bacterial blooms. Those are trusted reefers at BRS even though they’re trying to sell you a product at every corner. They contribute a lot to the community

Upvote 0

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a screenshot of my light. I really have a hard time getting the right lighting, so much info out there.

My tank is 9 months old. Has been so stable, I do water changes every 7-10 days of 25%..

Sorry for my typos on my first post. I meant to say I added 1/4 tablespoon Reef Roids.

Woke up today to the Duncan lookimg good, BTA closed and green star almost totally closed

Thank you everyone for ypur thoughts. This is my first tank!
Here is what I run on all 7 16hds.
First 4 100% the rest 50%.
1hr ramp up/down and 10hrs peak.
5 months growth from 2 16hds.
These lights are what got me to change all systems from halides.
Forgot to mention that 3 months were under one as seem in the pic.
Check out the slimer.
20220903_152259.jpg
20230212_094314.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skills

beautiful tank
Thank you. My old nano from start to 8 months before I took it down.
These light grow coral very well.
I started after a few said they dont grow corals
20220126_162523.jpg

20221010_165536.jpg

Upvote 0

Reign1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no drama. It’s just false information being spewed. Yes do you a water change to get out what you over fed. But if your bacterial bloom persists. Water changes will not fix it. Only time will fix it as it has to run its course. Your options are increase skim, airstone, carbon or UV. Water change isn’t on the list for your bacterial bloom. Only to get out what you over fed. Doing water changes to fix cloudy water in a bacterial bloom are a waste of money.

read the article I posted on bacterial blooms. Those are trusted reefers at BRS even though they’re trying to sell you a product at every corner. They contribute a lot to the community
Well considering you spent most of thread saying everyone didn't know what they were saying and a water change wont help. In almost every situation a water change can help. I mean there is advice and there is being nice.

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well considering you spent most of thread saying everyone didn't know what they were saying and a water change wont help. In almost every situation a water change can help. I mean there is advice and there is being nice.
In this situation in a bacterial bloom a water change won’t help. I’m sorry…..it won’t. Go look and google it. Every resource you find is going to tell you that a water change does nothing for a bacterial bloom. So yes anyone who recommends a water change for a bacterial bloom in fact doesn’t know what they’re saying for this particular subject. I’m sorry if it comes out rude. I’m trying to help someone deal with something that I just went through the exact thing. There’s people coming and giving advice that isn’t going to help her bacterial bloom.

In a bloom you can aerate the water by increase skimming or adding an air-stone or something for bubbling to increase oxygen levels that are being depleted by the bloom. You can also add carbon and the best part run a UV to knockout quick. Or…….wait and let it run its course.

those are the options. Wasting salt by sitting there and doing a 100 percent water change is not smart. Because in 1 hour or so you’ll be back at square one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reign1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this situation in a bacterial bloom a water change won’t help. I’m sorry…..it won’t. Go look and google it. Every resource you find is going to tell you that a water change does nothing for a bacterial bloom. So yes anyone who recommends a water change for a bacterial bloom in fact doesn’t know what they’re saying for this particular subject. I’m sorry if it comes out rude. I’m trying to help someone deal with something that I just went through the exact thing. There’s people coming and giving advice that isn’t going to help her bacterial bloom.

In a bloom you can aerate the water by increase skimming or adding an air-stone or something for bubbling to increase oxygen levels that are being depleted by the bloom. You can also add carbon and the best part run a UV to knockout quick. Or…….wait and let it run its course.

those are the options. Wasting salt by sitting there and doing a 100 percent water change is not smart. Because in 1 hour or so you’ll be back at square one.
Please point out to me anywhere that I said to do a 100% change.
You never want to do a 100% change . Either way looks like poster resolved issue.
cheers.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back