Will this rock work for Magnifica anemone?

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on adding a Magnifica anemone in 4-6 months and am reading they like a flat rock at the top of the tank. I'm aware my tank is still maturing but I wanted to see if this rock is too bumpy for the foot?

Thanks!
20241001_131533.jpg

20241007_104947.jpg

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on adding a Magnifica anemone in 4-6 months and am reading they like a flat rock at the top of the tank. I'm aware my tank is still maturing but I wanted to see if this rock is too bumpy for the foot?

Thanks!
20241001_131533.jpg

20241007_104947.jpg
Nems come from the ocean. The ocean is full of rock. Rock is not flat or smooth in the ocean.

Nems move with there foot to where they* want to be. They want the best light, for them; they want the best flow, for them. Unfortunately, they don't care where you* like them. They don't care if you like the pretty coral you just put in there way. They will run it over and kill it.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems come from the ocean. The ocean is full of rock. Rock is not flat or smooth in the ocean.

Nems move with there foot to where they* want to be. They want the best light, for them; they want the best flow, for them. Unfortunately, they don't care where you* like them. They don't care if you like the pretty coral you just put in there way. They will run it over and kill it.
Appreciate the reply! I've kept a lot of bubble tip anemones and a H. Aurora. Just trying to create a good environment for this species.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

***Post edited after I re-read it.

There are plenty of flat and smooth rocks in the ocean. This species likes that type of environment. This is in contrasts to BTAs that like to bury their foot in a hole, and haddoni that like to bury their foot in the sand.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell in the photo how smooth the rock is in the center, but magnifica prefer a surface closer to the rock on the far left (that's very smooth and looks like a piece of branch rock). This is why you'll oftentimes see them on tank walls--the really like smooth surfaces.

If you're hoping to create the ideal environment, consider removing your leather corals. On rare occasions, they don't play nice with magnifica.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do love the glass up high! I believe they climb on the glass because they sense it's a higher surface, not specifically because it's a smooth surface.
I have 15 Magnifica in my tank and most of them have perched up as high as they can go, regardless of the rock's surface texture.
However, I do agree that the ideal surface attachment for them would be on the smoother side.
It allows them to expand their foot for greater surface area contact, which, in turn, means a more solid and stable base of support so they can withstand the high flow areas they inhabit.
A smooth surface is also less prone to cause tearing of the foot while they hold on against extreme current.
Your rockscape is ideal for a Mag, up high, directly under the light, in a high random flow area. Hopefully your Mag will agree and stay relatively put!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back