Will phosphates go berserk if i do this?

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aquatecture ceramic grotto that was fully encrusted and recently had an awful RTN event that wiped out most life on it. I saved what i could and pulled the piece. I've since replaced the piece with TB live rock and things are good now. I loved the grotto and have chipped and scraped off as much of the old dead skeletons from the piece as i can and I'm thinking of putting the piece back in after a good pressure washing. Is this a bad idea? Would loads of
phosphate start leaching from this thing and create issues?

Any info is appreciated

Tivo

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it made of and did it get exposed to very high phosphate?
thanks you for the reply

the piece is made from ceramic. i've never had high phosphates in the 2 tanks the piece has been in. highest level was 0.07ppm between the two systems. i'm not sure if the dead skeletons may leach out undesirables like excessive PO4.

here's a blurb from their website:

Won't Affect Water Chemistry
Fired to high temperatures in the manufacturing process it is delivered in a near sterile and inert condition. Undesirable “hitchhiker” organsisms common to live rock are never introduced into your aquarium. Manufactured in a controlled environment from materials tested before and after firing for purity and stability, VIDA ROCK is non-reactive and will not leach elements & compounds that affect water chemistry.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back