Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here, wasnt hoping to run into issues this early and need feedback.... So I started up a IM 20g 2 months ago. Did a fishless cycle with bottled ammonia. Waited a month, put in a six line wrasse and a few softies and LPS and has now been another month with them all doing pretty well. This was after being out of the hobby since 2020 when my tank crashed due to this white slime outbreak and a mix of crystophates about 2 years in. I think the crystophates were actually harmful and started having LPS recede. The white slime that grows back hourly was just giving me anxiety and after a few fix attempts took it down to save the livestock. Wasnt too upset considering I knew I was moving cross country soon anyways and wasnt moving the 10g tank in a uhaul for a 4 day trip.

Imagine my suprise when I see the slime had made an appearance again starting badly this past weekend on saturday. Strings on the live rock, glass gets a white film which can also get strings eventually. Its the classic bacterial bloom white slime discussed before but nobody seems to ever have a guaranteed fix so Ive broken down the info based on what I researched and was hoping anybody else could chime in.

1) Aerosol cause- Some people think scented candles or anything airborne could trigger it. Checked the house for this and threw out the candles. Been running a box fan in the window and airing out the house starting yesterday to cover this base. Only worry is that wildfires are bad out west rn and pretty much daily we have smoke warning. This could be a carbon source in theory but it seems like nobody has ever tested this out.

2) Bacteria overdose. Noticed when the slime on the glass appeared I started a half dose of waste away. To top it off I midweek did a tiny dose of MB7 as well. Based on my research last year dosing good bacteria to outcompete the slime will eventually fix it. However this a bacterial bloom and Im adding tons of bacteria. Bacteria that clings to live rock which is what Im fighting. Im running a UV right now but the slime is generating too fast and slings to the rock. Im kinda leaning towards this being my issue. Some others have claimed they experiance this also when dosing a combo of bacteria's for a short period time after.

3)Carbon source- Removed all chemical filtration. Only have a UV and filter pad running currently so no carbon source. I wash my hands before touching anything in the tank so I dont think sanitizers or anything is getting in.

4) Just part of the ugly phase but it seems like some reefers deal with this for months. I did start with dry rock, didnt have any issues in my last tank Im not cleaning fliter floss for months with stuff....

Based on my research and obvservations My game plan will go as follows.

A)Week 1. Start overfeeding, stop water changes. I think I need to get some other type of algae growing, one that will not clog filter floss every few hours. I think maybe stopping by the LFS and picking up tiny live rock they have could help seed some other types of algae/bacteria as well. Also running windows open with a fan going all day when its not too hot. No dosing or chemi filtration

B) Week 2, if no improvement might try the refresh/waste away treatment some have tried with success they claim. Never tried refresh or know the difference but could be worth a shot.

C) Week 3, may attempt some slight hydrogen peroxide dosing which was reccomended by Dr Tim in combination with the Refresh/Waste away.

Any final thoughts to my approach. Really dont want to give up the hobby for good but how fast this regenerates is more stress than happiness for me :/

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
First post here, wasnt hoping to run into issues this early and need feedback.... So I started up a IM 20g 2 months ago. Did a fishless cycle with bottled ammonia. Waited a month, put in a six line wrasse and a few softies and LPS and has now been another month with them all doing pretty well. This was after being out of the hobby since 2020 when my tank crashed due to this white slime outbreak and a mix of crystophates about 2 years in. I think the crystophates were actually harmful and started having LPS recede. The white slime that grows back hourly was just giving me anxiety and after a few fix attempts took it down to save the livestock. Wasnt too upset considering I knew I was moving cross country soon anyways and wasnt moving the 10g tank in a uhaul for a 4 day trip.

Imagine my suprise when I see the slime had made an appearance again starting badly this past weekend on saturday. Strings on the live rock, glass gets a white film which can also get strings eventually. Its the classic bacterial bloom white slime discussed before but nobody seems to ever have a guaranteed fix so Ive broken down the info based on what I researched and was hoping anybody else could chime in.

1) Aerosol cause- Some people think scented candles or anything airborne could trigger it. Checked the house for this and threw out the candles. Been running a box fan in the window and airing out the house starting yesterday to cover this base. Only worry is that wildfires are bad out west rn and pretty much daily we have smoke warning. This could be a carbon source in theory but it seems like nobody has ever tested this out.

2) Bacteria overdose. Noticed when the slime on the glass appeared I started a half dose of waste away. To top it off I midweek did a tiny dose of MB7 as well. Based on my research last year dosing good bacteria to outcompete the slime will eventually fix it. However this a bacterial bloom and Im adding tons of bacteria. Bacteria that clings to live rock which is what Im fighting. Im running a UV right now but the slime is generating too fast and slings to the rock. Im kinda leaning towards this being my issue. Some others have claimed they experiance this also when dosing a combo of bacteria's for a short period time after.

3)Carbon source- Removed all chemical filtration. Only have a UV and filter pad running currently so no carbon source. I wash my hands before touching anything in the tank so I dont think sanitizers or anything is getting in.

4) Just part of the ugly phase but it seems like some reefers deal with this for months. I did start with dry rock, didnt have any issues in my last tank Im not cleaning fliter floss for months with stuff....

Based on my research and obvservations My game plan will go as follows.

A)Week 1. Start overfeeding, stop water changes. I think I need to get some other type of algae growing, one that will not clog filter floss every few hours. I think maybe stopping by the LFS and picking up tiny live rock they have could help seed some other types of algae/bacteria as well. Also running windows open with a fan going all day when its not too hot. No dosing or chemi filtration

B) Week 2, if no improvement might try the refresh/waste away treatment some have tried with success they claim. Never tried refresh or know the difference but could be worth a shot.

C) Week 3, may attempt some slight hydrogen peroxide dosing which was reccomended by Dr Tim in combination with the Refresh/Waste away.

Any final thoughts to my approach. Really dont want to give up the hobby for good but how fast this regenerates is more stress than happiness for me :/
Are you dosing anything for Alk? When I first started, I overdosed my Alk which caused a white slime (also called precipitation I believe) to form all over my rocks, glass, and equipment. It was an ongoing problem until I realized that my refractometer was broken, causing my water to be way too salty and alkaline, and fixed the issue. This, and I never dosed again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MNTNReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Are you dosing anything for Alk? When I first started, I overdosed my Alk which caused a white slime (also called precipitation I believe) to form all over my rocks, glass, and equipment. It was an ongoing problem until I realized that my refractometer was broken, causing my water to be way too salty and alkaline, and fixed the issue. This, and I never dosed again
Thanks for the response! Actually problem seems to be receding fast! Opened my windows with some box fans in them and started feeding heavy. Now on day 2 and its mostly gone. Thank goodness.

Will test my alk out of curiosity also.

Upvote 0

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! Actually problem seems to be receding fast! Opened my windows with some box fans in them and started feeding heavy. Now on day 2 and its mostly gone. Thank goodness.

Will test my alk out of curiosity also.
The “carbon source” refers to organics in the water. Feeding heavy will increase the “carbon source”. Running a filter with activated carbon in it will reduce the “carbon source”, but you would need to change it every three or four days, at least till you’re confident the slime won’t come back.

Upvote 0
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back