Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole idea behind this hobby is to recreate the ocean environment. Everything in the tank plays a role in the health/ecology of the tank.

Show me a coral reef with silk plants. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Not by a long shot - the whole idea behind this hobby is to enjoy your aquarium and its contents however you wish to enjoy it. You want to create a natural reef go for it. Everyone gets something different out of this hobby, has different tastes, goals and expectations.

To that end, this appears to be a fish only tank.

Even if it wasn't and the guy could grow coral on plastic shelfs with plastic plants with submerged andy warhol paintings and glass marbles as subtrate, that is his prerogative.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like dust, from the room, settling on surface of water. Then it sinks to wherever it falls. I assume there is no overflow skimming the surface, I can see not enough surface agitation or flow to get it in the filter. Everything that everybody already said. Sorry starfish, its almost over little buddy

OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The suggestion was not really optional - the starfish is likely doomed long term if he does not have enough to graze on.
I think he's fine. I give him shrimp and lettuce as well as what's in the tank.

Nutramar Foods

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's fine. I give him shrimp and lettuce as well as what's in the tank.
Starfish can take 3-6 months to show signs of starvation. They require pristine water quality. If it dies it will poison your tank. You have very little flow in that tank, water quality will become a problem.

You need more flow and surface skimming.

OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about your setup please so we can help? What size tank, what filtration do you have? Powerheads? subtrate used? How often you feed and what you are feeding.
Sure! It's super basic. 62 gallon tank. I have a large canister filter. There's also another thing inside of the tank to help with filtration and I have a filter at the bottom of the tank under the crushed coral.
I feed about 1/8 teaspoon fish flakes once a day and break up one freeze dried shrimp for the cardinal....who is new to the tank as of 3weeks ago Added a video so you can see the water flow. Someone said it looked still. It was a still picture so hopefully the video helps. Thanks!

OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish can take 3-6 months to show signs of starvation. They require pristine water quality. If it dies it will poison your tank. You have very little flow in that tank, water quality will become a problem.

You need more flow and surface skimming.
Thanks. I'll tell my aquarium guy I need more flow. I added a video to show I do have flow.... it's not still water.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you running a tank without live rock? Live rock is home to the bacteria colony in the tank.

Fake plants and decorations are for fresh water tanks. They serve no purpose in a reef tank.

Are you dosing your tank? It could be precipitate from dosing alkalinity and calcium.
I don't know what dosing is so probably not. I have a fish tank guy so just following his suggestions. Fake plants.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what dosing is so probably not. I have a fish tank guy so just following his suggestions. Fake plants.
I'd find a new fish tank guy...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with the fake plants or under gravel filter. The rock and substrate and canister filter carry the nitrifying bacteria. This is not a reef, no need to pile more rock in it. More water flow will help filtration. More surface agitation will also help.

SpyC

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with the fake plants or under gravel filter. The rock and substrate and canister filter carry the nitrifying bacteria. This is not a reef, no need to pile more rock in it. More water flow will help filtration. More surface agitation will also help.
When I did some marine biology work in the keys we used undergravel filters in holding tanks. Worked perfectly fine for our uses. Waiting for the onslaught of 'how dare you use an undergravel filter'. Glad you are level headed compared to many here

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did some marine biology work in the keys we used undergravel filters in holding tanks. Worked perfectly fine for our uses. Waiting for the onslaught of 'how dare you use an undergravel filter'. Glad you are level headed compared to many here

My first FO 55 gallon SW aquarium was a UGF and thrived.
*gasp* the flow in the two upflow tubes was airstone driven, not powerhead.

Not just Fish Only systems!
Ask @Paul B if undergravel filters work for reef tanks ;)
Granted - he uses a reverse flow UGF as it vastly reduces some of the drawbacks of a regular UGF.

Is a traditional UGF ideal? No, it takes maintenance and can become a detritus trap of not maintained. I think the OP would be better off reversing the flow - but in a somewhat established tank this may create a whole new set of issues.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is dust floating on top.

Heat from the lights pulls in air. Air is filled with dust, settles, falls into the tank. If you don't have a surface skimmer or rippling water it will just sit there. With it sitting there your O2 exchange is worse.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's not plastic. It's silk.
I just saw post and guessed silk and fabric plants and this stuff is likely separating from the plants as they are intended for freshwater and the salt is likely emitting this texture given especially Penn Plax brand which I sold at my LFS .
Its your tank and decorating is a choice you make, but this is sure not an example of marine setting (great for angelfish) and lacking a lot of biological structure and capability. You if not already will have a challenge with maintaining both PH and Calcium.
I assume you are using crushed coral and not aquarium gravel?
This tank is very basic with minimal flow and likely filtration and you really need better test kits to maintain even a chocolate chip starfish.

OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A full tank shot would also be helpful.

There looks to be CaribSea Life rock in the tank. That is live now it has been in the tank since Jan. I assume that it is the confusion regarding life/dry live and all the other types of confusing labels that get attached to rock.
Yeah - I guess this rock is considered "live" rock so my bad on that. I meant I don't have corals or live plants.
I will post a full tank shot to the link in a minute or two. It's kinda cloudy right now b/c I keep fanning the white stuff off as someone in this thread suggested... and my fish tank guy will be here on Thursday so I'm sure he'll do some deep cleaning. But I had sent him the pictures and he wasn't sure what it was either and he's been doing this for almost 30 years. So that's why I came to the forum... hoping someone would know exactly what it is.

OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not by a long shot - the whole idea behind this hobby is to enjoy your aquarium and its contents however you wish to enjoy it. You want to create a natural reef go for it. Everyone gets something different out of this hobby, has different tastes, goals and expectations.

To that end, this appears to be a fish only tank.

Even if it wasn't and the guy could grow coral on plastic shelfs with plastic plants with submerged andy warhol paintings and glass marbles as subtrate, that is his prerogative.
Thank you. That's kinda what I thought. I'm doing my best to do right by everyone in the tank. That's why I came here. Hoping for help.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why the hell did the aquarium store sell them to me knowing full well I had a saltwater tank??
Yes it's a crushed coral bottom. I wanted sand but the fish guy preferred this. I thought he said the filter I had was bigger than needed. But I'll speak with him about it. Thanks.
I just saw post and guessed silk and fabric plants and this stuff is likely separating from the plants as they are intended for freshwater and the salt is likely emitting this texture given especially Penn Plax brand which I sold at my LFS .
Its your tank and decorating is a choice you make, but this is sure not an example of marine setting (great for angelfish) and lacking a lot of biological structure and capability. You if not already will have a challenge with maintaining both PH and Calcium.
I assume you are using crushed coral and not aquarium gravel?
This tank is very basic with minimal flow and likely filtration and you really need better test kits to maintain even a chocolate chip starfish

OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some liverock... is the canister filter the only thing moving water?
No, there's also water coming out of the tube attached to the filter underneath the crushed coral. It's a black tubular like flat thing with holes that was put on the bottom of the tank, then he dumped the coral.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back