Trying to make my QT tank look nicer, can I add live rock?

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to set up a 10G QT tank since I'm dealing with ich in my display tank.

Since the QT will be near my display, I wanted to set up something that looks nice. So far the only fish I'll be treating is a filefish. I'm also going to be using copper.

That being said, can I add a piece of live rock in the tank? I know people say you should add very little sand and use PVC pipes but all the stores I go to, I see rocks and sand in their QT. That rock would stay in the QT tank forever of course.

I've seen some people talk about sand online but not much regarding LR. What do you guys think?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible I'd recommend not keeping your QT near the display.

As stated above no rocks, pvc for hides. If your QT a sand dweller you can get away with a dish of sand, but not the whole tank.

Got it. Also, can you explain the first one a bit? I also read that it shouldn't be too far because of aerosol bacteria or something like that?

Woodyman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Also, can you explain the first one a bit? I also read that it shouldn't be too far because of aerosol bacteria or something like that?

Yes aerosolised bacterial/virus can be a concern.

@Jay Hemdal had a nice write up about it. Let me try to find the link if he doesn't beat me to it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Woodyman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2/3 of the way down you can read the bit about aerosolised bacteria/virus.

While the likelihood is low, it is possible. I don't know how close you meant by "near my display" so if you are 5-20+ft away it's more than likely a non-issue, but still a potential risk.

You have to decide what level of risk you want to take.

This is another good read if you haven't seen it yet.

Thread 'Current Quarantine Protocol' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2/3 of the way down you can read the bit about aerosolised bacteria/virus.

While the likelihood is low, it is possible. I don't know how close you meant by "near my display" so if you are 5-20+ft away it's more than likely a non-issue, but still a potential risk.

You have to decide what level of risk you want to take.

This is another good read if you haven't seen it yet.

Thread 'Current Quarantine Protocol' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/
Thank you!! Gonna go through these and make a decision.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to set up a 10G QT tank since I'm dealing with ich in my display tank.

Since the QT will be near my display, I wanted to set up something that looks nice. So far the only fish I'll be treating is a filefish. I'm also going to be using copper.

That being said, can I add a piece of live rock in the tank? I know people say you should add very little sand and use PVC pipes but all the stores I go to, I see rocks and sand in their QT. That rock would stay in the QT tank forever of course.

I've seen some people talk about sand online but not much regarding LR. What do you guys think?
If you use a calcium based material, it may absorb/adsorb copper at an unknown rate. You would not want to use that rock in an invertebrate tank later on. You would also want to use an amine based copper like coppersafe (not ionic copper). You would also need to test regularly with a good copper test like the Hanna HR to offset any copper loss.
I prefer pvc pipe (grin). The only time I suggest using live rock is when it is the only likely source for biological filtration.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back