+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've searched around the forum but nothing seems to apply to my tank so I thought I'd create a new post. I've had my tank since January. I have two clowns, two damsels a pj cardinal fish, a chocolate chip starfish and a banded Coral shrimp. The tank has been awesome! No problems. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing this white powdery substance all over the place. I can swish it off with my hand as though it's dust, and then a bunch of particles float around the tank. At first I thought it was salt but it's been 2 weeks since a water change. I don't have any live plants or live rocks in my tank. Everything is fake. What could this white stuff possibly be? I tested the water and everything's fine and the fish seem to be acting fine but this is extremely unsightly and worrisome. I've attached a link to some pictures. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9KM9zE9aq8txdeY9

Nutramar Foods

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like there is no flow in your tank at all, you can see the buildup on the water surface. That stuff is detritus, just falling everywhere since there is no flow.

Normally, we have flow in our tanks to keep the detritus suspended in the water so the filters can filter it out.

You want some flow in your tank, and some flow to agitate the water surface to help with gas exchange, which will help put oxygen into the water.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
L

Luv2Laff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like there is no flow in your tank at all, you can see the buildup on the water surface. That stuff is detritus, just falling everywhere since there is no flow.

Normally, we have flow in our tanks to keep the detritus suspended in the water so the filters can filter it out.

You want some flow in your tank, and some flow to agitate the water surface to help with gas exchange, which will help put oxygen into the water.
That can't be it as there is a high flow at the top of my tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect those are tiny food particles that are settling on everything. It’s probably all in your sand as well. If it’s not removed, Cyanobacteria will start thriving to eat it all up. Look at whether you might be over feeding and get a Turkey blaster and blow everything off every day for a while. It will make the water cloudy, but it will help clean the tank. Make sure you flirtation filter is not needing a good cleaning.

AS

Jesse Sunday

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about your setup please so we can help? What size tank, what filtration do you have? Powerheads? subtrate used? How often you feed and what you are feeding.
Yes, this information would help tremendously.

Also, I'm curious, why no live rocks/plants?

World Wide Corals

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've searched around the forum but nothing seems to apply to my tank so I thought I'd create a new post. I've had my tank since January. I have two clowns, two damsels a pj cardinal fish, a chocolate chip starfish and a banded Coral shrimp. The tank has been awesome! No problems. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing this white powdery substance all over the place. I can swish it off with my hand as though it's dust, and then a bunch of particles float around the tank. At first I thought it was salt but it's been 2 weeks since a water change. I don't have any live plants or live rocks in my tank. Everything is fake. What could this white stuff possibly be? I tested the water and everything's fine and the fish seem to be acting fine but this is extremely unsightly and worrisome. I've attached a link to some pictures. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9KM9zE9aq8txdeY9

How are you running a tank without live rock? Live rock is home to the bacteria colony in the tank.

Fake plants and decorations are for fresh water tanks. They serve no purpose in a reef tank.

Are you dosing your tank? It could be precipitate from dosing alkalinity and calcium.

aSaltyKlown

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about your setup please so we can help? What size tank, what filtration do you have? Powerheads? subtrate used? How often you feed and what you are feeding.
A full tank shot would also be helpful.

How are you running a tank without live rock? Live rock is home to the bacteria colony in the tank.
There looks to be CaribSea Life rock in the tank. That is live now it has been in the tank since Jan. I assume that it is the confusion regarding life/dry live and all the other types of confusing labels that get attached to rock.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fake plants and decorations are for fresh water tanks. They serve no purpose in a reef tank.

Are you dosing your tank? It could be precipitate from dosing alkalinity and calcium.
It looks like the rock is real enough and there is substrate - it all becomes "live".

There may be in issue with the silk plants depending on what dyes and materials were used.... but there is nothing inherently wrong with that he has done as long as it is all reef safe (he has an invert).

The issues appear to be low flow and maybe not enough filtration and the environment not being suitable for a chocolate chip star.

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the rock is real enough and there is substrate - it all becomes "live".

There may be in issue with the silk plants depending on what dyes and materials were used.... but there is nothing inherently wrong with that he has done as long as it is all reef safe (he has an invert).

The issues appear to be low flow and maybe not enough filtration and the environment not being suitable for a chocolate chip star.

The whole idea behind this hobby is to recreate the ocean environment. Everything in the tank plays a role in the health/ecology of the tank.

Show me a coral reef with silk plants. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back