Which skimmer would you choose?

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Bubble Maggus Curve 5 elite. I have one. No experience with any other skimmers as this is my first tank. However it's been a work horse for over two years. Pump is a sicce with a 5 yr warranty. I do not regret my choice.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with neither and vote you look at Simplicity with DC Ventari pump.

simplicitgy.JPG

There are some things i can never go back from DC pump, and the skimmer is definitely one of them.

If other folks are saying the IC or Simplicity are good skimmers, i will not argue. I have never uesd them.

Simplicity skimmers are great. Ive been using mine since they first came available on amazon.
The only thing is you need to clear the ventari line every now and then for build up, and the silencer is pretty fragile so be gentle cleaning it.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with neither and vote you look at Simplicity with DC Ventari pump.

simplicitgy.JPG

There are some things i can never go back from DC pump, and the skimmer is definitely one of them.

Simplicity skimmers are great. Ive been using mine since they first came available on amazon.
The only thing is you need to clear the ventari line every now and then for build up, and the silencer is pretty fragile so be gentle cleaning it.

I could fit the 240DC. It is rated heavy bioload 120gl. Would that be the way to go? Since dc can be turned down?

Edit: I think the regal 150SSS will just be too tall and I want a DC skimmer so simplicity or this k3-130 OVP are now in the lead. lol

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could fit the 240DC. It is rated heavy bioload 120gl. Would that be the way to go? Since dc can be turned down?

Depending on bioload...

I heard its sometimes better to undersize then oversize on skimmers from BRS.

But the DC pump would allow you to dial down or up the water level, along with the valve on the skimmer.
This is why DC pump is a godsend for skimmers.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to stick with my Icecap k1-50 until I decide which is the right one or find a really good deal
The Icecap is a bit small; at least it looks really small in there.. it is rated for heavy stocked 40g.
20240622_174525[1].jpg

If it doesn't pull enough I'll come back and read this thread.

Anyone used the maxspect dc skimmers? They look really nice and sk200 is 15% off right now.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd go RO. DC for sure. Good equipment comes at a cost I'm willing to spend. The one thing I won't do anymore is purchase something I will probably have to replace in the future. I've done this twice with skimmers. The first was a no name brand that lasted about 6 months. The second was an old school E.T.S.S-400. The latter was a decent, but finicky contraption.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd go RO. DC for sure. Good equipment comes at a cost I'm willing to spend. The one thing I won't do anymore is purchase something I will probably have to replace in the future. I've done this twice with skimmers. The first was a no name brand that lasted about 6 months. The second was an old school E.T.S.S-400. The latter was a decent, but finicky contraption.
Sadly, I don't want to oversize the skimmer and the smallest RO DC skimmer is the 150. I am afraid it would suck my tank dry because I want to run the skimmer 24/7. I'd also only have 3" above the skimmer and I'm not sure if that would let me remove the cup easily.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am okay with reasonably oversized skimmers. I prefer oversize and set skimmers to skim very dry. It takes a week or three to full the cup. It never overflows even with heavy feeding and the neck is caked with 1" of gunk. Stable and predictable.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am okay with reasonably oversized skimmers. I prefer oversize and set skimmers to skim very dry.
Do you think the regal 150 is reasonably oversized for my Nuvo 50+ trigger 20 sump? I do enjoy feeding heavy..

edit: I don't plan on stocking really heavy too. I've had the clowns and ywg for 2 years and I like them so I want to keep aggression and disease down.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the regal 150 is reasonably oversized for my Nuvo 50+ trigger 20 sump? I do enjoy feeding heavy..

edit: I don't plan on stocking really heavy too. I've had the clowns and ywg for 2 years and I like them so I want to keep aggression and disease down.
I have a Regal 150-ext on a 75 and large sump. I can't say for sure if it is overkill or not. I don't have a huge bioload (5 or 6 fish) but it works well. I used to have a 6' tall DIY skimmer on this tank. I prefer external skimmers. They are more stable but you have to have someplace to put them.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is liquidating the royal exclusive and ultra reef skimmers on their website. The only one left that might work for me is..

but it is rated for heavy bioload 100 gallons and is AC. That's a good deal though..

id buy this royal exclusive but the link isn't working. Can anyone fix it? It is probably out of stock anyway.. lol

Edit: I figured it out. I ordered the royal exclusiv for $440 :D

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is liquidating the royal exclusive and ultra reef skimmers on their website. The only one left that might work for me is..

but it is rated for heavy bioload 100 gallons and is AC. That's a good deal though..

id buy this royal exclusive but the link isn't working. Can anyone fix it? It is probably out of stock anyway.. lol

Edit: I figured it out. I ordered the royal exclusiv for $440 :D
Thanks for posting this. I saw it and bought one of the Akula skimmers for my tank.
I have an old school ac model Bubble King Mini 160 and it is a phenomenal skimmer. I don’t think you will regret your decision to go with a Bubble King skimmer.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
n
Thanks for posting this. I saw it and bought one of the Akula skimmers for my tank.
I have an old school ac model Bubble King Mini 160 and it is a phenomenal skimmer. I don’t think you will regret your decision to go with a Bubble King skimmer.
Nice! These are some crazy deals. They already shipped mine and it'll be here Friday.
I only worry it will be too strong for my aquarium but I'll skim it as dry as I can and find out for this price.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back