Where to place draw line in storage tank for AWC?

BRS

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an AWC using the Apex DOS. My saltwater storage/mixing tank is a 55 gal rectangle (18"x18"x44"). Where would I place the fitting/plumbing to draw fresh saltwater from the storage tank?

Does it go into the top of the tank to prevent potential leaks? If so do I need to get rigid piping to reach the bottom so the draw is always in water?

Can a fitting be placed in the side near the bottom so no internal tubing is needed?

Thank you for your help.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in through the top. That way, I didn’t have to seal it. Then ran the line to the bottom of the tank.

Something to keep in mind is that I learned that I need to clean out my line every couple of years. To make this easier, I zip tied the line to a piece of PVC that sits on the bottom of the container.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in through the top. That way, I didn’t have to seal it. Then ran the line to the bottom of the tank.

Something to keep in mind is that I learned that I need to clean out my line every couple of years. To make this easier, I zip tied the line to a piece of PVC that sits on the bottom of the container.
So just regular flex RO line zipped to a piece of PVC for weight (so the flex doesn't just curl up)? Or do you use rigid water line?

Top Shelf Aquatics

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second going in from the top. One less seal to worry about. I keep mine about an inch from the bottom just in case I have a little crud at the bottom of the bin. Going through the top eliminates a seal leak but there is always a possibility of a siphon leak depending on how you plumb it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just regular flex RO line zipped to a piece of PVC for weight (so the flex doesn't just curl up)? Or do you use rigid water line?
Exactly, just regular RO line. One long piece of tubing that goes from the bottom of the tank, through the drilled hole in the top, then directly to my liter meter 3 pump.

I zip tied (twice) the tubing to an approximate 2 ft section of 1 or 2inch pvc.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second going in from the top. One less seal to worry about. I keep mine about an inch from the bottom just in case I have a little crud at the bottom of the bin. Going through the top eliminates a seal leak but there is always a possibility of a siphon leak depending on how you plumb it.
Was planning to use a John Guest bulkhead fitting in either location. I believe I would need a couple of fittings to make that work from the top.

How do you have yours plumbed?

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, just regular RO line. One long piece of tubing that goes from the bottom of the tank, through the drilled hole in the top, then directly to my liter meter 3 pump.

I zip tied (twice) the tubing to an approximate 2 ft section of 1 or 2inch pvc.
Thank you

Top Shelf Aquatics

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't thought about using 1/2 inch pvc. Is the 1/4 loose at the top or is it sealed into the 1/2 inch?

I printed an adapter for a bulkhead fitting

D9491DBF-77A7-4EC9-9D82-7CB2320AA17A.jpeg

4D3C5F26-3C72-47BE-833F-251B9861BFCD.jpeg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning to use a John Guest bulkhead fitting in either location. I believe I would need a couple of fittings to make that work from the top.

How do you have yours plumbed?
Same as kstate. 1/2 pvc with a female threaded connector on one end with a male threaded fitting screwed into it from the top and a slip cap as a friction cover with a hole drilled in the center for the rodi tube. The 3d printed option would be pretty slick!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back