Where do you install your heater(s): sump, DT, or both?

Ecotech Marine
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When on vacation I dial the skimmer down for just aeration and don’t bother filling the cup. A week of no skimming isn’t going to kill anything especially if the fish are getting fed less.

On the ATO part, I have a backup 5 gallon container with a simple pump on a wifi outlet and a camera. If the ATO level gets low I just give it more water manually/remotely. Doesn’t take more than $50-$60 to set that up.

Seems more of a water issue than a heater issue. Now if your return pump went bad while on vacation you’re SOL. Not sure what you can do there other than the heater in the DT or backup pump and plumbing.
Great idea on the skimmer — actually, I’m planning to install a device to prevent overflowing next week, need it anyway for recirculating CO2 scrubber.

ATO: I have a float valve in the sump and Apex so can set one backup now but don’t want another reservoir standing by. That said, it’s a good idea to buy me more time. I have the ability to hook up straight to the RODI unit outside the house but heard of many horror stories (and encountered) flooding due to failed components.

Heater is fine but having dual heater is good insurance. You are correct - water circ issue. I might consider dual return pumps soon though. I have a very powerful DC pump but should have done 2 smaller ones instead.

Camera inside stand: it’s been on my list for a long time. Will add one before my next trip…next month actually!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Nutramar Foods

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Seems more of a water issue than a heater issue. Now if your return pump went bad while on vacation you’re SOL. Not sure what you can do there other than the heater in the DT or backup pump and plumbing.
Yep, redundancy. Just like two smaller heaters is better than one, dual return pumps is a safer system. I don't have dual pumps one my current tank but my next one will.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure — it would help if I move the probe; however, it doesn’t matter where the heater is placed right? Bottom line was that my sump was empty and no water was delivered back to the DT.
True; in the situation you faced, no heating was occurring in the display.

As for your first question, yes, heater placement in relation to the probe is important. If your probe is at the "beginning" of your sump and essentially measuring the display temp, you definitely want the heater somewhere AFTER the probe chamber or you'll cause an ineffective feedback loop, just measuring the temp in that chamber.

Hopefully what you experienced was a unique situation that won't repeat itself. My suggestions about probe/heater placement were for normal operation.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m psyching myself up to clean the whole sump next weekend (it’s been 18mos), clean the skimmer body, return pump, etc. Will take an opp to install a second heater, install a skimmer overflow protector, move probes, and hopefully bored enough to install a second return pump!!! Oh I got a 57W Ultraviolet UV with new bulb not doing anything — always wanted to install that as well. Will see…that might take half a day!

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back