Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily thank you for the article! Very in-depth and full of info.

I have a small McCoskers that went through a full humblefish QT with copper. For the last two weeks it’s been fine. Today it started exhibiting the “deaths door” behavior swimming wise. It appears to only see out of its left eye and favors leftward swimming. It was fine this morning and began the odd swimming this afternoon. Often in a corkscrew type fashion. It still eats but is missing food it darts toward. Could this be either spinal or copper related? Do you see these ever resolve?
Unfortunately, it could be a number of things. It could be copper related but I’ve seen this in wrasse that weren’t treated. It may in fact be a spinal issue. I’ve seen this behavior before for a multitude of reasons that I’ve never been certain of :(

This is a rare one where we will be little help, unfortunately. I hope your wrasse makes it.

Avast

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it could be a number of things. It could be copper related but I’ve seen this in wrasse that weren’t treated. It may in fact be a spinal issue. I’ve seen this behavior before for a multitude of reasons that I’ve never been certain of :(

This is a rare one where we will be little help, unfortunately. I hope your wrasse makes it.
Sadly it appears to be approaching a “locked in” state to use a human term. Almost totally paralyzed but it’s eyes. It’s lying on the sand with eyes movement and a slight amount of muscle movement. No rapid breathing or other signs of injury. But just paralyzed appearing. It can use its ventral fins but nothing else.

incredibly rapid onset and deterioration. 8hrs from normal to paralyzed.

I’ll attempt to euthanize it tonight if I can retrieve it. :(

zalick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to have slightly more movement than last night but it’s not going to make it. This is with zero flow. I’ll be euthanizing today.
Couldn’t get the video to upload here.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to have slightly more movement than last night but it’s not going to make it. This is with zero flow. I’ll be euthanizing today.
Couldn’t get the video to upload here.
Very sorry. That’s the most severe case of this I’ve seen.
Jay

zalick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry. That’s the most severe case of this I’ve seen.
Jay
He was eating a little when food right in front of mouth so I waited the day to see if he miraculously improved. Sadly as expected he did not.

I did observe a slightly swollen right eye at the top of the eye. It looks dark like it may be blood behind the eye. I don’t have any syringes on hand or else I’d try to extract some fluid.

I’ll be uethanizing now.
BA69E575-FB08-478D-9BDC-AE24200DC3DA.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the eye issue could be mechanical damage from it swimming and hitting things perhaps?

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back